How would you rank Canada in regards to the other CONCACAF teams?

Canada should be in the top 6.  As posted earlier they haven't made the Hex in forever so that is not where we currently sit but I look forward to the days, which I trust and hope are coming, when making the Hex will be a foregone conclusion and we will earn our way into the World Cup with some level of regularity.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread got me curious. I decided to look at our competitive competitions the past little while. I went back as far as the 2011 Gold Cup and put teams that we played against into two piles. Finished ahead of us, and finished behind us. In that time (2011, 2013, and 2015 Gold Cups, 2014 and 2018 World Cup Qualifiers) the teams we played against...

Finished ahead of us: Mexico (twice), Honduras (twice), Jamaica, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Panama (three times), Martinique, USA

Finished behind us: Dominica, Belize, El Salvador, Puerto Rico, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Cuba, Guadeloupe

El Salvador is on both lists. They finished behind us in the recent qualifiers, but finished ahead of us in the Gold Cup. Martinique are likely an outlier and aren't actually better than us, but they did beat us on the field (4 years ago). So if I apply the eye test to order the above teams and the below teams and put Canada in between them, here's what I have.

1. Mexico
2. USA
3. Costa Rica
4. Honduras
5. Panama
6. Jamaica
7. El Salvador
8. Martinique
9. Canada
10. Cuba
11. Puerto Rico
12. Belize
13. Guadeloupe
14. Saint Kitts and Nevis
15. Saint Lucia
16. Dominica

I gave the edge to El Salvador over us since for us to finish ahead of them it included a player strike on their part for us to get a draw in El Salvador, and we got 2 offside goals in our 3-1 win at home (I remembered Larin was offside, but had forgotten that our third goal from Edgar was also offside). I watched the highlights to refresh my memory, and El Salvador also got a red card in the game, but the highlights didn't show it. I don't remember if that was a legit card or if we were fortunate.

Notable-ish countries missing from this head to head comparison. Haiti, Curacao, Trinidad and Tobago, Guatemala.

On paper, Canada should already be a top 5. Canada's problem is the lack of mental toughness.

Wandrille Lefevre was in a Montreal radio interview and he pointed the exact same thing. Canada has a huge lack of self confidence, lack of mental toughness.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

This thread got me curious. I decided to look at our competitive competitions the past little while. I went back as far as the 2011 Gold Cup and put teams that we played against into two piles. Finished ahead of us, and finished behind us. In that time (2011, 2013, and 2015 Gold Cups, 2014 and 2018 World Cup Qualifiers) the teams we played against...

Finished ahead of us: Mexico (twice), Honduras (twice), Jamaica, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Panama (three times), Martinique, USA

Finished behind us: Dominica, Belize, El Salvador, Puerto Rico, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Cuba, Guadeloupe

El Salvador is on both lists. They finished behind us in the recent qualifiers, but finished ahead of us in the Gold Cup. Martinique are likely an outlier and aren't actually better than us, but they did beat us on the field (4 years ago). So if I apply the eye test to order the above teams and the below teams and put Canada in between them, here's what I have.

1. Mexico
2. USA
3. Costa Rica
4. Honduras
5. Panama
6. Jamaica
7. El Salvador
8. Martinique
9. Canada
10. Cuba
11. Puerto Rico
12. Belize
13. Guadeloupe
14. Saint Kitts and Nevis
15. Saint Lucia
16. Dominica

I gave the edge to El Salvador over us since for us to finish ahead of them it included a player strike on their part for us to get a draw in El Salvador, and we got 2 offside goals in our 3-1 win at home (I remembered Larin was offside, but had forgotten that our third goal from Edgar was also offside). I watched the highlights to refresh my memory, and El Salvador also got a red card in the game, but the highlights didn't show it. I don't remember if that was a legit card or if we were fortunate.

Notable-ish countries missing from this head to head comparison. Haiti, Curacao, Trinidad and Tobago, Guatemala.

As an overseas territory of France Martinique is not allowed to participate in WCQ. So we would be eight on this list in games that really matter.

39 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

As an overseas territory of France Martinique is not allowed to participate in WCQ. So we would be eight on this list in games that really matter.

It's these small victories that make being a Voyageur so much fun!

32 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Trinidad's player who was in the English d4 a couple of years ago and played in the gold cup is now 32, has dropped to d5 and is still in the squad

We would freak out if Canada called a d5 player lol

The other thing ..... if either Larin or Cavallini or whoever becomes an established international goalscoring striker, Canada will move up the chart fast. There's a huge talent trough up top right now. Nobody outside of the big 3 teams has a goal scorer up top.  

10 hours ago, One American said:

Nobody outside of the big 3 teams has a goal scorer up top.  

You're sleeping on Honduras. Romell Quioto and Alberth Elis are going to be a disgusting 1-2 punch for the next decade. They just haven't hit their stride for the national side yet.

I'd agree outside of Honduras though.

7 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

You're sleeping on Honduras. Romell Quioto and Alberth Elis are going to be a disgusting 1-2 punch for the next decade. They just haven't hit their stride for the national side yet.

I'd agree outside of Honduras though.

Quioto is a '91, i don't see him ever becoming a top talent, let alone doing so until his mid 30's. Maybe you're thinking of Lozano?

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

Quioto is a '91, i don't see him ever becoming a top talent

Quioto has a higher goals/90min average than Larin this season (.63 to .55), a higher assist/90min average than Larin (.32 to .07), and has been playing as a second strike or winger all season. I'm not saying he's going to be a superstar, but he's been great this season.

1 hour ago, harrycoyster said:

Quioto has a higher goals/90min average than Larin this season (.63 to .55), a higher assist/90min average than Larin (.32 to .07), and has been playing as a second strike or winger all season. I'm not saying he's going to be a superstar, but he's been great this season.

He had a great first 3 games of his MLS career and has been cool since his return from injury. He's decent, but he won't be forming a "disgusting 1-2 punch with Elis for the next decade."

11 hours ago, jpg75 said:

He had a great first 3 games of his MLS career and has been cool since his return from injury. He's decent, but he won't be forming a "disgusting 1-2 punch with Elis for the next decade."

The point is Quito/Elis might be better than Larin/Cavallini in terms of talent. They are certainly easier to fit on a pitch together. That's all I'm saying.

If Honduras had defenders and didn't have to rely on playing a 34 year old left back at CB, they'd be the clear 4th best team in CONCACAF. Considering Panama's complete lack of young talent, Honduras are going to be the 4th best team in CONCACAF in 5 years unless one of teams 6-10 step up.

When the July rankings come out we will surpass 5 concacaf teams, st kitts, Antigua, Guatemala, Nicaragua and El Salvador. We should have never been ranked behind any of them but nevertheless that's how it works. Then we will be a more respectable 10th in the region.

We are certainly in the conversation with Honduras right now but when the CPL begins play, and our academies in the  MLS begin producing even more talent, I would expect that we will be firmly entrenched in the top 4 or 5.  Some of those second tier nations will move in and out of the Hex but in 4-8 years time if all goes well, we should be close to an automatic top 6 and earning our way to the World Cup.

On 6/14/2017 at 1:41 PM, Club Linesman said:

We are certainly in the conversation with Honduras right now but when the CPL begins play, and our academies in the  MLS begin producing even more talent, I would expect that we will be firmly entrenched in the top 4 or 5.  Some of those second tier nations will move in and out of the Hex but in 4-8 years time if all goes well, we should be close to an automatic top 6 and earning our way to the World Cup.

we have been saying this for 8 yrs.

Archived