Canadians in MLS 2017 season

Gian-Luca

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In terms of Laryea's performance in his MLS debut, the only footage I've been able to find of him on-line is at 3:46 of this video where you can see him making a nifty through-ball pass to a teammate for what should have been a goal. Unfortunately the teammate passed it to Nocerino who didn't bother to stay on side for the easy tap-in, otherwise Laryea would been given an assist on his MLS debut:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/06/26/meet-player-who-convinced-ref-rescind-red-card-instant-replay

3 Canadians in the 18 for Orlando in Salt Lake tonight - Larin and Johnson start, Laryea is on the bench.

Johnson scores in the 17th minute. He and Larin play 90 while Laryea did come on late, in the 88th minute and reportedly had a scoring chance.

On 30/6/2017 at 7:01 PM, Gian-Luca said:

3 Canadians in the 18 for Orlando in Salt Lake tonight - Larin and Johnson start, Laryea is on the bench.

Johnson scores in the 17th minute. He and Larin play 90 while Laryea did come on late, in the 88th minute and reportedly had a scoring chance.

Larin and Laryea playing together, they must be really enjoying that, having grown up together. 

I also suspect that Richie has been a good support for Cyle.

6 Canadians features in Orlando vs. TFC, 3 for each team (is that an MLS record for a game featuring one US MLS team?). Johnson, Larin & Morgan play 90, Chapman plays 30, Jordan Hamilton 20 and Laryea 11 (would have been close to 20 but I think he was waiting on the sidelines for what seemed like an eternity). Hamilton nearly scored late on what would have been a 3-way Canuck passing play for a goal (Chapman-Morgan-Hamilton) but Bendik made a nice save. Morgan was competent and I thought Chapman was excellent defensively. Laryea showed a lot of confidence on the ball for the short time he got on and some nice creatively instinctive passing. Johnson was played out of position IMO and wasn't noticeable in the 2nd half (although I may have had my TFC blinders on) while Larin was largely starved of service - the few times he got on the ball he was a handful, but only had one half-chance to score which he blew over the net. Not a great game Orlando but mainly because they stunk the joint out defensively.

Brian Wright stayed on the bench for NE, somewhat annoyingly their coach only made 1 sub the whole match which they lost late after having the lead in the 2nd half making the coach look like a bit of an idiot for not putting on fresh legs (be they Canadian legs or otherwise).

Tabla has come on at the half for Montreal, down 2-0 to Houston as we speak, Lefevre on the bench.

Akindele came on for the last 6 minutes for Dallas on Tuesday night again DC United, which featured Opare for the whole 90. 6 minutes might not seem like much but unfortunately it is 6 more minutes than any Canuck will feature for Vancouver as none are dressed (yes, I know 3, or 4 if you count Adekugbe, are at the Gold Cup and Edgar is injured, but facts are facts in terms of recording playing time). To end on a happier note though, Awuah has made the 18 for NYCFC, so I may stay up to watch this match to see if he gets on.

16 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Akindele came on for the last 6 minutes for Dallas on Tuesday night again DC United, which featured Opare for the whole 90. 6 minutes might not seem like much but unfortunately it is 6 more minutes than any Canuck will feature for Vancouver as none are dressed (yes, I know 3, or 4 if you count Adekugbe, are at the Gold Cup and Edgar is injured, but facts are facts in terms of recording playing time). To end on a happier note though, Awuah has made the 18 for NYCFC, so I may stay up to watch this match to see if he gets on.

To be fair, none of the MLS (or NASL, or USL) teams have covered themselves in glory in terms of giving minutes to Canadians. Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver are at 16%, 14% and 11% of minutes played by Canadians in all competitions (13%, 12% and 7% counting MLS matches only).

I also saw a Steve Sandor article recently that pointed out how Vancouver and especially Toronto were going to have a hell of a time meeting their CSA-imposed quota on Canadians for their USL reserve teams (something like 55% of total minutes played for the season).

The situation, as always, is bleak.

It's been rumoured all season that VWC2 is shutting down at the end of this season so they probably don't care if their sanctioning is pulled.

I wonder if TFC2 follows suit and just plays in L10 and season long loans to CanPL teams next year.  It's more or less working for Montreal this year. 

4 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

It's been rumoured all season that VWC2 is shutting down at the end of this season so they probably don't care if their sanctioning is pulled.

I wonder if TFC2 follows suit and just plays in L10 and season long loans to CanPL teams next year.  It's more or less working for Montreal this year. 

I'm not sure what "working" means in the case of Montreal. Very few of their loaned players are seeing any playing time for Ottawa.

• 3 weeks later...

Tesho comes on for 2 minutes in Dallas' 2-1 win over Montreal. Funny but according to the list on the11.ca the top 3 Canadians in MLS by minutes played are Will, Cyle & Tesho.

Speaking of Will & Cyle they go 90 & 18 respectively in the 0-1 loss to Atlanta.

Davies comes on for the last 26 minutes in the 1-2 loss to Portland. Didn't do much other than give the ball away. Constantly trying to take on 2-3 defenders instead of  making the simple pass and losing the ball. One of his poorest appearances.

16 hours ago, jonovision said:

I don't know what it is exactly, but something rubs me the wrong way about Larin playing 18 minutes as a sub for Orlando less than 24 hours after starting for Canada vs Jamaica in Phoenix.

Just curious, what is wrong with him playing? Are you worried about him getting injured?

Larin starts for Orlando up front with Dwyer.  For now the two are playing together and if Larin demonstrates well with Dwyer, perhaps the Wizard will try playing Larin with Cavallini together for the CMNT.  Larin playing with Dwyer will hopefully spur him on to work even harder.

Jordan Hamilton played 90 in a 2-2 draw for the MLS Homegrown Stars vs. Chivas U20 team. He was involved in the build up tot he first goal, set up a great chance for a teammate and had another of his own in the first half (that was saved and then the rebound miraculously saved against another teammate) but for the most part after that was isolated, particularly after Tyler Adams went off as he then was stuck with a midfield that couldn't pass the ball to save their lives (part of this was team-mate unfamiliarity but part of it was badly over-hit simple passes that his teammates couldn't make to each other). He was the only striker played but in the last 30 minutes or in the #10 role rather than the most advanced player on the team as I think Brian McBride (the coach for the game) must have realized that he was one of the few players on the team that could make a simple pass and keep his team in possession.

The downside is that he did have one really good chance to run in on goal and score what would have been the tying goal but instead of taking the shot decided to try and beat his man to get closer and got dispossessed. I'd like to see him get more confidence just to take the shot from distance in that situation.

Canuck firepower on display in Montreal. Larin scores at the 12 minute mark but of course they sub in AJH to score the winner!!!

Johnson, Larin, Bernier go the full 90 and AJH gets 11. His goals per minute played must be off the charts. Just awesome.

I try not to be biased but how must AJH feel?  I've never seen this in football where a teams top scoring striker has double the goals of the starter but can't earn that spot... what does he have to do?

imagine the roles were reversed and there was a Canadian starting with 3 goals and a young foreign player on the bench with 7.. it would never happen.  I get that mancoscu had a good end to last season but that was exactly it... last season. 

Biello had no problem benching drogba for mancosu last season so why is there a problem in dropping mancosu for Jackson hamel? Crazy..

9 hours ago, Keegan said:

I try not to be biased but how must AJH feel?  I've never seen this in football where a teams top scoring striker has double the goals of the starter but can't earn that spot... what does he have to do?

imagine the roles were reversed and there was a Canadian starting with 3 goals and a young foreign player on the bench with 7.. it would never happen.  I get that mancoscu had a good end to last season but that was exactly it... last season. 

Biello had no problem benching drogba for mancosu last season so why is there a problem in dropping mancosu for Jackson hamel? Crazy..

From what I've seen for Canada and Montreal, Jackson-Hamel does seem to be far more effective in the super-sub role with fresh legs, but it's still a good point, especially when the other option is Mancosu.

MLS doesn't keep a goals/90 stat on its website that I can find, but of players with at least 3 goals, Jackson's goals/90 or minutes per goal or however you want to put it is miles ahead of anyone in the league except Josef Martinez (ATL). Jackson has 6 goals in 467 minutes (1.16/90), Martinez has 9 in 595 (1.36). I don't think anybody else is better than 1.0

Archived