Canadians in MLS 2017 season

Gian-Luca

Perhaps a moderator can unpin the 2016 thread and pin this one instead.

Not sure where else to put this and not too much has been made of this on this board yet on the Canadian media but it would appear that young Canucks Brian Wright and Kwame Awuah have made the first team rosters for New England and New York City, respectively. No sign of Reid on the Dallas first team roster on their website but as the kid is just 17 that is perhaps not too surprising. With the two Canucks in Orlando, Akindele in Dallas, Tissot in DC and Pasher in KC it is certainly a bumper year for Canucks on US based MLS teams. Last year I think it was just Tesho and Cyle on US teams

Hopefully it will also mean a bumper year in minutes played. Including with the all the Canucks on the three Canadian teams

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

I'm excited to see if Pasher can succeed at this level. Anyone know if they are playing him as a FB or farther forward?

Nothing official but here is what KC's SB-Nation site (The Blue Testament) had to say about Tyler on their season preview of the defensive group:

Tyler Pasher

The 22-year-old left back was signed by Sporting KC this offseason after spending 2016 with the Swope Park Rangers. He’s very fast and could be used as an attacking sub for Seth Sinovic. He can also play left-wing if necessary. Depending on how Sporting KC wants to use Jimmy Medranda, Pasher can either be the second-string or third-string left back for the club

http://www.thebluetestament.com/2017/2/28/14759092/sporting-kansas-city-season-preview-defense

Osorio the only Canuck to see the field, for 60 minutes, in TFC's opening day draw against RSL in Salt Lake. Edwards and RIcketts left on the bench, the latter disappointingly so given that TFC only used 2 subs and could have used a goal for a game that they really should have won (not that getting a point in Salt Lake will be considered disastrous at this stage of the season).

Bernier started, went 74 minutes and Tabla (I guess we still should include him in these reports until if and when he officially makes a move to play for Cote D'Ivoire) played 27 minutes in a 1-0 loss to San Jose on the west coast.

27 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Larin starting for Orlando, Laryea on the bench!  That is good news.  Bad news?  No Will Johnson.  Hurt maybe?

He is playing right back and took the Captain's armband from Kaka after the latter went off injured early. And then a few minutes later Larin scored the first ever goal for Orlando in their new stadium.

But yeah, I had no idea that Laryea had even made the first team for Orlando before today, good news indeed. Awuah not dressed for NYFC, but the season is long so hopefully he and a lot of the young Canucks in MLS this year will get their opportunities as the season progresses with its suspensions, injuries, national team call ups and fixture congestion all still to come

Larin picking up where he left off like the season never ended. Nice finish with the head. Cramped up and had to be subbed out at the 74 minute mark. Will does 90 at RB. I didn't even know he could play that position. Cool.

On 3/5/2017 at 2:19 PM, Gian-Luca said:

Osorio the only Canuck to see the field, for 60 minutes, in TFC's opening day draw against RSL in Salt Lake. Edwards and RIcketts left on the bench, the latter disappointingly so given that TFC only used 2 subs and could have used a goal for a game that they really should have won (not that getting a point in Salt Lake will be considered disastrous at this stage of the season).

Bernier started, went 74 minutes and Tabla (I guess we still should include him in these reports until if and when he officially makes a move to play for Cote D'Ivoire) played 27 minutes in a 1-0 loss to San Jose on the west coast.

I was shocked they didn't bring him on.. stubbornness from Vanney?  The ballsy move would have been to take off Altidore, who had been awful, for Ricketts but I guess he was hoping some bit of magic would turn it around for Jozy.  

14 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Maybe Lareya can break into the lineup for Orlando with KAKA being out for 6 weeks.  Wouldn't it be crazy if Orlando gave CDN players more minutes than the actual CDN clubs??  

The joy of having independent academies producing quality players. Keep those 3 club academies on their toes and prevent them from thinking they are the only game in town. Great work SigmaFC.

I'm sure we'd all love to have Larin on our team but failing that getting constant playing time and putting up the numbers he has in Orlando is great. Here's hoping for Lareya to get some time.

On Monday, March 06, 2017 at 0:06 PM, Keegan said:

I was shocked they didn't bring him on.. stubbornness from Vanney?  The ballsy move would have been to take off Altidore, who had been awful, for Ricketts but I guess he was hoping some bit of magic would turn it around for Jozy.  

I actually thought Giovinco was more poor than Altidore on the day. Didn't seem his usual confident self after the penalty miss.

Ricketts comes on for an injured Giovinco in the last minute of the first half, and frankly, ends up being more effective than Giovinco was before he got injured, although maybe the change in a heavy wind also had a big part to do with TFC's extremely poor overall play in the first half. Osorio comes on for Cooper in the 75th minute and also played better than Cooper did (who was guilty of giving the ball away for the Union's tying goal). Edwards and Chapman stay on the bench where hopefully Tsubasah Endoh will be nailed to in the future rather than trying him again at right-wing/back. 2-2 draw giving TFC two road draws to start the season.

Archived