Canadians in MLS 2017 season

Gian-Luca

Tyler Pasher played the first 45 against the Whitecaps but was taken off at the half with his team down 1-0. Didn't look out of place from what I saw. Meanwhile the Whitecaps did not start any Canucks although three are on the bench

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tuned in to watch the Caps match to see if any Canadians were playing, not so much but they did boast about all the young Canadian talent at half time! It's hard for me to keep an interest in this sloppy match with the only Canuck being subbed off by the visitors at the half!

Edit: I watched the 2nd half and it was much better especially with Davies coming in, he made some nice runs and one amazing, well timed defensive tackle!

Pasher starts for SKC and goes 45. Subbed at the half. Kind of a "meh" performance. Davies comes on for 30 as a sub and does his usual havoc creation drawing the free kick that resulted in our second goal.

3 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Thank god Robinson is "protecting" Davies, wouldn't want to "expose" him too much.

I'd love to see more of Davies too but you have to admit that there are serious advantages for him to come on and run at a tired defense.

8 hours ago, TRM said:

I'd love to see more of Davies too but you have to admit that there are serious advantages for him to come on and run at a tired defense.

Like playing only 30 minutes instead of 90? Defending against tired opponents to give him a false sense of work ethic? 

3 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Like playing only 30 minutes instead of 90? Defending against tired opponents to give him a false sense of work ethic? 

Say what you want his work ethic is not false. He works his ass off offensively and defending. You are now seeing the reason Manneh was traded. Davies is simply better. He'll get his starts but for now coming on as a sub and rocking the place for 30 minutes is his role and he's killing it every time out.

20 minutes ago, TRM said:

Say what you want his work ethic is not false. He works his ass off offensively and defending. You are now seeing the reason Manneh was traded. Davies is simply better. He'll get his starts but for now coming on as a sub and rocking the place for 30 minutes is his role and he's killing it every time out.

Then play him 90 FFS! If he's so dominant then why waste the first 60 minutes with an inferior player on the field?

Just now, jpg75 said:

Then play him 90 FFS! If he's so dominant then why waste the first 60 minutes with an inferior player on the field?

He will get lots of starts. He is 16 freaking years old FFS.

15 minutes ago, TRM said:

He will get lots of starts. He is 16 freaking years old FFS.

So what if he's 16!? There have been many top talents who played at higher levels than Davies by this age, and they were thrown to the wolves. If he's good enough, he's old enough. Playing time is earned and he's earned it. And all the other cliches i keep hearing about to justify Canadians not getting more PT.

20 hours ago, TRM said:

Messi was subbing in at 17 ....

At Barcelona.

Diego Maradona was a starter at 16 and was called to the full Argentine NT at that age. 

Guys like Oxlade-Chamberlain and Walcott were starting at Southampton at 16/17.

Which just supports the sub role. The coach at Barca had other options so Messi subbed in to start his career. Maybe the the Southampton coach didn't have any alternatives so he threw the youngsters into the deep end. Robbo has options.

I don't get the impatience. Robbo has hit on a formation and lineup that is working wonderfully. 9 points out of 15 with 12 of those points being on the road doesn't scream "change things". Tchani and Jacobson are 2 large bodies who wear on defenders. Then throw the greyhound at them.

Davies is doing GREAT in the role assigned to him. Come in for 30 minutes and wreak havoc offensively and defensively. More roles including starter will come his way probably in the V's Cup to begin with.

sarc
As far as his development for Canada goes I can see no way that Canada could use a 30 minute burst of dynamite late in a game so yea let's run him constantly for 90+ at 16 years of age. What could possibly go wrong?
/sarc

Messi subbed on because he was at a very strong club, Davies does not have that problem. He's at a club that is very similar to Southampton (who were in the Championship back then). 

So there it is, you want him to stick to 30 because it benefits the club. You're winning, it's all working out for you guys. 0 Canadians on the field for 60 minutes. Congratulations.

It takes two to argue. 

As others have pointed out in the Davies thread, he needs to round out his game (learn to interplay with his teammates better, when to pass or go 1v1, read the game etc.) and if he's only running at tired defences in the last 30 every game that stifles his development.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/players/alphonso-davies

He has started in 4 games of the 9 he's appeared in so far this year. Philly (90'), Toronto (45'), LA (90'), Seattle (76').

Lately he's been a very effective, high impact sub. He made a lot more mistakes as a starter. As a sub he's been downright flawless. Has it occurred to you that maybe he isn't ready for 34 games at 90 minutes a piece just yet? But I'm sure you know better than the coaches who watch him daily.

Good, let him make mistakes so he can learn. Development isn't all hunky dory perfection all the time, him becoming a dominant player for 90 is the end goal. 

And i never said play him 34 games for 90 a pop, so don't put words in my mouth.

"Make mistakes so he can learn". This is a professional team at the top level in north america. The time for mistakes is over come game time. They coaches rightly expect execution.

Then how many do you want? He has started in 4 of 9 appearances so far.

Sadly for those of us who love to watch him play he is vastly better in the sub role than starter at least for now.

Listen to the cheers when he subs in during home games. Everybody wants to see him play.

1 hour ago, TRM said:

"Make mistakes so he can learn". This is a professional team at the top level in north america. The time for mistakes is over come game time. They coaches rightly expect execution.

Then how many do you want? He has started in 4 of 9 appearances so far.

Sadly for those of us who love to watch him play he is vastly better in the sub role than starter at least for now.

Listen to the cheers when he subs in during home games. Everybody wants to see him play.

Do you hear yourself? This is MLS, not a hospital operating room. You think guys in their late 20's with less talent are out there playing flawlessly? Winger's should make mistakes that's how they eventually make things happen.

p.s. he scored already...as a starter.

10 hours ago, jpg75 said:

p.s. he scored already...as a starter.

And then got subbed in the second half. In case you didn't notice he was much more effective in the first half than in the second. Maybe his high octane style of play doesn't last over 90 minutes? Maybe his coach knows this and is using him as a sub recently while developing his pacing and recovery? No, can't be. I'm sure you are right.

By the way that is 5 starts out of 10 appearances now. How many do you think he should have? Funny that you haven't answered that question yet isn't it.

Yeah i noticed that, he hasn't played a lot lately so not expecting him to go 90 right away - he can ease him into it, no problem with that. Also noticed Montreal nearly tied the game (or won it if it wasn't for Richey) after he left.

It's clear Davies is one of the better outfield players for Vancouver, he should be starting almost every game and the end goal is strong play for 90 minutes to get him well prepared for when he goes to the next level. If he's under performing, sub him off. 

Davies starts and goes 63 in the 0-1 loss to DC. For those keeping track that is 6 starts out of the 11 games he's appeared in.

Played good in the first half especially when he was on the left side. Not so noticeable when he moved over to the right.

Archived