Canadians in MLS 2017 season

Gian-Luca

9 hours ago, Keegan said:

I try not to be biased but how must AJH feel?  I've never seen this in football where a teams top scoring striker has double the goals of the starter but can't earn that spot... what does he have to do?

imagine the roles were reversed and there was a Canadian starting with 3 goals and a young foreign player on the bench with 7.. it would never happen.  I get that mancoscu had a good end to last season but that was exactly it... last season. 

Biello had no problem benching drogba for mancosu last season so why is there a problem in dropping mancosu for Jackson hamel? Crazy..

It is weird to say the least. MLS has him at 6 goals in 468 minutes (1.15 per 90) and only 12 shots with zero PKs to pad the stats. He has started 4 of the 12 games he's played in this year. Did he score in any of his 4 starts?

I remember him starting the second V's Cup game in Montreal and scoring against the Caps. He didn't play in either game vs TFC.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, TRM said:

It is weird to say the least. MLS has him at 6 goals in 468 minutes (1.15 per 90) and only 12 shots with zero PKs to pad the stats. He has started 4 of the 12 games he's played in this year. Did he score in any of his 4 starts?

I remember him starting the second V's Cup game in Montreal and scoring against the Caps. He didn't play in either game vs TFC.

He has had 1 goal in his 4 starts. AJH basically says flat out that Biello doesn't trust him to be productive when he starts.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/08/05/anthony-jackson-hamel-wants-start-now-hes-impacts-super-sub

2 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

He has had 1 goal in his 4 starts. AJH basically says flat out that Biello doesn't trust him to be productive when he starts.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/08/05/anthony-jackson-hamel-wants-start-now-hes-impacts-super-sub

So 1 goal in 4 starts (MLS) and 1 goal in 1 start in V's Cup against MLS competition is 2 in 5 which is about 13 a season. My guess is that the highest paid underperformer at the forward position will be traded and AJH will get more starts. Might have to wait until next season but you never know.

3 hours ago, Scorpion26 said:

Not best season for Larin 9 goals, but Orlando got 10 games to go until playoff.... Can he fire it up and surpass 17 goals or will he reach 14. 

Montero, and a lot of other forwards, average around 12-14 a year with some big years and other steady years. The big thing to remember about Larin is that his goals ALL come from run of play. He doesn't get to take PKs.

6 hours ago, TRM said:

Montero, and a lot of other forwards, average around 12-14 a year with some big years and other steady years. The big thing to remember about Larin is that his goals ALL come from run of play. He doesn't get to take PKs.

Yes I know that, but he's been in a rut and hopefully he can start scoring some goals. Looks like at this moment that Larin had no shots on goal against Columbus....

Davies comes in for 6 as a sub in the 2-1 win over Houston. MDJ comes in for the last 2 minutes at RB. Nerwinski was getting skinned all night and I think Robbo didn't trust him defensively at such a crucial time.

Montreal wins the Can-Con battle for the day by a country mile as 3 Canucks start (Piette, Beland-Goyette & Jackson-Hamel) and of the three only Jackson-Hamel is subbed out of the game, in the 85th minute - and after he picked up a goal and two assists. Beland-Goyette also picked up an assist, on Jackson-Hamel's goal.

In 2nd place was Orlando with Larin going 90, Johnson taken off injured in the 32nd minute and Laryea brought on with 7 to go. I think that's about 6 or 7 straight appearances for Laryea now off the bench. None of the Canucks features in the scoring in a 1-1 draw with Columbus.

In 3rd place is TFC with Osorio & Ricketts combined netting 25 minutes and Ricketts picking up an assist on the 3rd TFC goal. Edwards and Chapman (who once again made the bench ahead of Cooper, interestingly enough) were left on the bench.

4th place is Dallas with Akindele picking up 25 minutes on his own, but no points in a 2-0 loss to SKC (who didn't dress either Canuck so they finish last on the day, not that I expect they or their fans care in the slightest as they sail into first place). Gave the tie-breaker to TFC because of one more player used.

Vancouver finished 5th with just 8 minutes combined for Davies & De Jong as mentioned by TRM

1 hour ago, to70 said:

Last night for TFC Osorio plays full 90 and Chapman comes in for 21 minutes.

FC Dallas  Akindele starts plays 73' and scores a goal

Vancouver Davies comes in for 34' with an assist and Teibert plays 22'

It was actually just 11 minutes for Chapman, rather than 21.

That assist by Davies was the first official "point" earned by a Whitecap Canuck in league play this year (although Davies gets an unofficial one from me from having drawn a converted PK, which to me is just as good as an assist).

With Tchani out and Harvey gassed I'd better see MdJ & Russ start in Orlando or I'll burst an aneurysm. Both should have started against Seattle as Jacobson, Tchani and Harvey were all tired from the previous game and two of them are over 34.

I guess the old adage "you don't win with Canadians" applies today. Piette 90, Bernier 66 and Jackson 35 minutes for Montreal while Osorio and Ricketts had 20 and 10 minutes of garbage time.

Piette had a strong match, Bernier had moments while Jackson didn't see a lot of the ball. Ricketts forced a good save while Osorio was rag-dolled by Piatti for Montreal's goal.

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

I guess the old adage "you don't win with Canadians" applies today. Piette 90, Bernier 66 and Jackson 35 minutes for Montreal while Osorio and Ricketts had 20 and 10 minutes of garbage time.

Piette had a strong match, Bernier had moments while Jackson didn't see a lot of the ball. Ricketts forced a good save while Osorio was rag-dolled by Piatti for Montreal's goal.

The Canadians weren't the problem for Montreal tonight - in fact they would likely have been better off if Jackson-Hamel had started 

On 2017/08/27 at 4:44 PM, jonovision said:

I guess the old adage "you don't win with Canadians" applies today.

Not so fast there sparky. Teibert and deJong both started and went the full 90 with Davies coming in for 28 and they won. By the way Orlando started zero Canadians but subbed Larin in (you may have heard of him) and he got them back in the game.

:)

11 hours ago, TRM said:

Not so fast there sparky. Teibert and deJong both started and went the full 90 with Davies coming in for 28 and they won. By the way Orlando started zero Canadians but subbed Larin in (you may have heard of him) and he got them back in the game.

:)

Although if we're being honest, while I thought De Jong & Larin played well and Orlando seemed to miss Will Johnson, Teibert was poor IMO despite the Whitecaps win.

• 2 weeks later...

Osorio was subbed on to start the 2nd half in place of an apparently injured Giovinco and went on to score TFC's 4th on a 4-0 romp over San Jose. Ricketts came on midway through the second with the score already 3-0. Probably would have had TFC's 5th but Morrow decided to selfishly shoot from a poor angle instead of passing to Ricketts for an easy empty net tap in from 5 yards out. Edwards stayed on the bench.

Chapman and Hamilton played 90 for TFC 2 at BMO right after the TFC game, which I stayed to watch. The two combined beautifully to give TFC 2 the lead with Hamilton playing a perfect ball for Chapman to skip past the keeper. Chapman loses points though for doing a C Ronaldo style goal celebration. 

Unfortunately another first team player, Endoh did a horrible giveaway that led to NYRB 2 getting a PK to tie the game. They got another PK late in the half for the winning goal which Endoh also contributed to, although he was not alone this time. Hamilton got taken down in the box for a PK (from contact hard enough that I could hear from my seat with only 1-2000 in the stands) in the 2nd half but it wasn't given, which the TFC players complained bitterly about. Jason Bent said that his team wasn't playing on a level playing field tonight in reference to the Ref as he thought the Ref got all three PK calls wrong to his team's detriment. Not sure I would go that far but I do agree the Ref was an asshole for not giving the Hamilton PK 

Akindele plays the last 25 as Dallas don't do Montreal any favours by losing to Atlanta 3-0, first game in Atlanta's new stadium.

Awuah did not get off the bench yesterday for NYCFC in their 1-0 to Portland, while Laryea, the lone Canuck in Orlando who hasn't been arrested this season, wasn't dressed for Orlando in their 2-1 win against DC - a game in which two Canadians scored, but only one of which is eligible to play for Canada. Orlando finished the game with 9 men.

Based off MLSsoccer.com, Erik Palmer-Brown has signed a contract with Man City after his SKC contract ends. This will mean most likely Didic having the next chance up at being on the bench more regularly and maybe even start many games . Opara is injury prone/getting older and for Besler is just get older as well. Maybe Didic gets his shot next year and apparently some SKC fans want to see him start for the first team as well. 

Wonder what will happen with NASL next year? Will Marc Dos Santos perhaps make a move for MLS coaching spot? Maybe taking back Montreal Impact coaching spot or perhaps even Vancouver Whitecaps.... Season coming to an end and gotta post both UTD teams have been great addtions to the MLS no doubt. Can't wait when I can post things like this about CPL....

Archived