Canadians in MLS 2017 season

Gian-Luca

16 hours ago, Big_M said:

Answer is no for Morgan. He needs to play a couple usl games before being considered and even then there is Morrow and Edwards ahead. Chapman has 4-5 players ahead of him for 2 spots and Hamilton hasn't even appeared yet so only if a forward is out.

Morrow is needed in the back three at the moment because none of Moor, Mavinga or Hernandez are healthy - Moore is apparently expected to be ready sometime in May but I've not heard anything to suggest he will be ready by Wednesday or able to play in two games in about 2.5 days with a cross-continent flight in between. I suspect that if Morgan gets good solid minutes for TFC II this weekend he will be called in to at least make the trip to Seattle since there is just Edwards.

As for Chapman, I would very surprised if he's not part of the squad rotation for the upcoming matches in May, particularly since Cooper seems to be doing his best to play himself off the squad entirely with this recent performances.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tabla and Bernier go the whole 90+ and AJH subs in very early plays 75 or so minutes then gets subbed out with injury. Davies in for 23+ minutes and Teibert for 4+.

Tabla was not only the best Canadian on the pitch he was far and away MOTM best player. Forced Ousted into 2 foot saves and was a bit wild with his shot selection but damn can he play. On one play he was out running Parker (no sloth himself) to the ball when Waston cleared it.

Caps were lucky to get 3 but we'll take it.

4 hours ago, TRM said:

Tabla and Bernier go the whole 90+ and AJH subs in very early plays 75 or so minutes then gets subbed out with injury. Davies in for 23+ minutes and Teibert for 4+.

Tabla was not only the best Canadian on the pitch he was far and away MOTM best player. Forced Ousted into 2 foot saves and was a bit wild with his shot selection but damn can he play. On one play he was out running Parker (no sloth himself) to the ball when Waston cleared it.

Caps were lucky to get 3 but we'll take it.

Agree on everything especially on how impressive Table was.

Larin and Edwards to start in TFC v Orlando, not sure if Johnson is injured but I don't see him on the field doing warm ups. Chapman doesn't appear to be dressed either as Mavinga appears to be there instead, Ricketts and Osorio on the bench to start 

Chapman and Edwards get the start and are subbed out in the second half with Chapman setting up the penalty for the only goal of the game and Edwards playing the right side. Osorio and Ricketts on as subs. Hamilton is left on the bench.

Brian Wright makes the bench again for NE currently down 1-0 in the 1st half against Columbus

Larin plays 90 and Johnson 71 in a 4-0 Orlando loss to Houston yesterday. Laryea not on the bench.

Congrats to Kwame Awuah who makes his pro debut in a 3-1 win for NYFC over Atlanta, coming on in the 91st minute. Only played 3 minutes, but it's a start.

38 minutes ago, canucklefan said:

Ricketts scores again from a cross made by Edwards, deflected by Vasquez. Edwards will probably awarded an NHL assist.

He was, but that for me was less of an NHL assist as some others we've seen awarded (unless you are referring to the fact that his was the second assist - for me an NHL assist means awarding an assist when the player doesn't really deserve it, which happened a bajillion times in the 1980's in particular).

7 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

He was, but that for me was less of an NHL assist as some others we've seen awarded (unless you are referring to the fact that his was the second assist - for me an NHL assist means awarding an assist when the player doesn't really deserve it, which happened a bajillion times in the 1980's in particular).

I meant it in the sense that he was the second last player to touch the ball before Ricketts scored. I agree Edwards has a lot of merit on that goal.

Edwards and Ricketts play 90 in TFC's 3-2 win over Minnesota, with Edwards being fouled in the box for TFC's first goal and Ricketts scoring the winner. I think Edwards may have been called for a handball on Minnesota's 2nd goal, will need to re-watch it to see. Chapman was left on the bench and Osorio and Hamilton were not dressed (Osorio apparently ill). Hamilton did not play for TFC II in the match following the senior team game but Ashtone Morgan finally got in another 45 minutes. Not that it helped much as TFC II I don't think have scored since the 2nd game of their season as they lose 1-0 to Bethelem Steel on an early PK. Ucello, Telfer, Cavaluzzo, Hundaal and Fraser also played for TFC II, with Telfer and Hundaal coming in as 2nd half subs. Camargo was left on the bench. Meanwhile Ben Spencer has still not scored for TFC II, good thing he's taken Babouli's spot on the 1st team.

Haven't seen anyone mention this but Tabla started for Montreal and three Canucks were subbed in for the 2nd half with Bernior, Jackson-Hamel and what I think is his MLS debut in David Choiniere (who came in for Tabla for with 5 minutes to go). Jackson-Hamel scored yet again to give him 4 goals on the season but Montreal unfortunately lost the game on a late goal to Columbus. That made three different Canucks score on the night.

As far as I can tell, the Canadian MLS scoring race is going as follows:

Larin - 7

Jackson-Hamel -4

Ricketts - 3

Akindele - 1

Johnson - 1

But how cool is it that we even have a race of sorts?

Ricketts plays 89, Edwards 23 and Hamilton comes on in the final minute of regulation in a TFC 1-1 draw at Red Bull Arena. Ricketts won a PK which Altidore misses (again), then hits the crossbar a few minute, then scores the winner only for it to be disallowed about a minute later with the Ref ruling that Edwards, who made no attempt to play the ball, interfered with the play by not playing the ball (whereas if he didn't lift his foot, the ball would have hit his foot and he would have been flagged for offside so I'm not sure what else he was supposed to do in that situation). Perhaps the interpretation of the rule has changed or maybe the Ref felt that Robles was unsighted the play (which I don't buy since he made the initial save on the play). Although it probably all shouldn't have mattered since Altidore should have scored on the PK.

Edwards won the free kick which ultimately led to TFC's equalizer and ought to have led to a red card for the prick-face Panamanian who chopped him down late and petulantly after Edwards deked him out of his jockstrap. It was unfortunate that Edwards didn't start on the left ahead of Morrow (at least in that position) while its a shame that Chapman didn't start over Delgado on the right as he was quite poor tonight and he & Morrow were stifling the offense on either side of the field in the first half. Osorio not dressed for precautionary reasons, hopefully he's back for Tuesday.

Strange that Edwards didn't start. Morrow may have been the best LWB in mls last season but Edwards has won that spot and morrow should be in the centre in favour of... oh right, vanney's nephew nevermind. Anytime the kid gets on the ball he's magic and while morrow does chip in the odd goal Edwards service is much better which should be top priority in that formation.  He's putting together quite the highlight reel with his dribbles.

Ricketts as usual very average (At best) until the late stages. He should be a super sub for tfc and Canada when everyone is fit. 

Thought for sure we would see Chapman as Delgado was consistently giving the ball away but like zav he's vanney's boy

Edwards was in an offside position and interfered with play..clear offside plain and simple. His problem that he was in that position

Vazquez made himself look like an idiot celebrating in Robles face not realising it was offside

9 hours ago, Keegan said:

morrow does chip in the odd goal

Morrow has three more goals than any other defender in MLS since the beginning of 2015. That's not chipping in the 'odd goal', that's excelling from a position of strength.

And while Morrow may be effective as a CB, he's much better out wide (and there are better alternatives in central defence, including Vanney's nephew). As for Edwards, he is earning his time and doing incredibly well, but he should not be an automatic starter over Morrow on the left just yet.

11 minutes ago, RS said:

Morrow has three more goals than any other defender in MLS since the beginning of 2015. That's not chipping in the 'odd goal', that's excelling from a position of strength.

And while Morrow may be effective as a CB, he's much better out wide (and there are better alternatives in central defence, including Vanney's nephew). As for Edwards, he is earning his time and doing incredibly well, but he should not be an automatic starter over Morrow on the left just yet.

I know he excels at scoring, I was pointing that out.  He has 2 goals and an assist this year.. but Raheem Edwards has set up 5 goals and won a penalty and the goals are coming for him too.  

Just saying, you can pick one guy for the spot.. for me it's Edwards.  I rate Morrow, don't get me wrong but Edwards has won that spot through 13 matches.  It would be one thing if Morrow was strictly a left sided defender but he can play the right side or the centre and I think there are others who should be on the bench before Edwards or Morrow.  

FWIW I still don't think Zavaleta or Hagglund for that matter are above average defenders.  I think they benefit from playing with 2 partners and playing off their strengths in the system... the same reason I think the CMNT should be looking to play 3 centre backs as our current crop is of similar quality.  When everyone is healthy at least one of them is going to be on the bench with Moor coming back to fitness and Mavinga settling in nicely.

Archived