Canadians in MLS 2017 season

Gian-Luca

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Larin nets the winner for Orlando, a volley off Johnson's corner.  At the rate that Canadians are scoring today in MLS Vanney needs to seriously consider starting Osorio and Chapman in midfield and up front at least one of Ricketts, Hamilton or Babouli.  Of course we know he won't 

Just now, Moldy9 said:

Anyone else watch that Orlando game on Fox? That new stadium definitely has a party atmosphere! Would be a cool place to watch a match. 

And then compare the atmosphere in Orlando with the atmosphere in Vancouver. At least on TV, they come across as complete opposites.

2 hours ago, shermanator said:

And then compare the atmosphere in Orlando with the atmosphere in Vancouver. At least on TV, they come across as complete opposites.

Sadly, it's true. Was actually thinking about that while watching the LA OC game. To be fair I've been watching a lot of VW games lately on tv and yeah it's a beautiful stadium when packed but when it's not it's just too big and spread out plus I feel VW playing on that turf messes w their game.

Watching VW play their opening season at Empire Field was something. Stadium was compact, had a nostalgic charm and was outdoors. 

So, Bustos and Hamilton have not seen any minutes with either their first teams, or their reserve teams thus far in 2017. They've both been in the 18 for the first team, and both have had international duty.

Something to be concerned about, or not so much? These are both players who need to see regular minutes to improve. Hamilton impressed me in his time with the first team last year, and Bustos needs to get on the pitch to get back to his 2015 form.

The Larin and Johnson goals were both terrific. I could imagine them both on the short list for Goal of the Year. And still, neither one might have been goal of the week. I'm usually not that impressed by long-distance shots, but I am when David Villa one-times it from near midfield and squeezes it over the top of the keeper right into the center of the net. 

5 hours ago, One American said:

The Larin and Johnson goals were both terrific. I could imagine them both on the short list for Goal of the Year. And still, neither one might have been goal of the week. I'm usually not that impressed by long-distance shots, but I am when David Villa one-times it from near midfield and squeezes it over the top of the keeper right into the center of the net. 

While it is very alert of Villa to spot the keeper off his line and skillful to put the shot on goal I tend not to favour goals that feature terrible keeping as a main element for goal of week. Even with the keeper being too far off his line he still should have stopped it at the end.

5 hours ago, Grizzly said:

While it is very alert of Villa to spot the keeper off his line and skillful to put the shot on goal I tend not to favour goals that feature terrible keeping as a main element for goal of week. Even with the keeper being too far off his line he still should have stopped it at the end.

I have to agree.  I've seen it a couple of times now and still think he flubbed it.

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 2:02 PM, Gian-Luca said:

Larin nets the winner for Orlando, a volley off Johnson's corner.  At the rate that Canadians are scoring today in MLS Vanney needs to seriously consider starting Osorio and Chapman in midfield and up front at least one of Ricketts, Hamilton or Babouli.  Of course we know he won't 

Can't wait to see the first TFC-Orlando match this year.  Johnson will be carrying a HUGE chip on his shoulder for this one.

Congrats to Raheem Edwards for his first 90 minute MLS performance in a 3-1 TFC win. Chapman mercifully finally gets some minutes off the bench (24 in fact) though he looked somewhat rusty (understandably so) and Osorio came on on for 9 minutes during which he managed to get injured by Schweinsteiger fouling him with no call and then later picked up a yellow. Ricketts did not leave the bench for this one.

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

Chapman mercifully finally gets some minutes off the bench (24 in fact) though he looked somewhat rusty (understandably so) 

After he hesitated and ended up having his shot blocked early in his sub appearance, I thought he looked pretty short on confidence out there.  Edwards had a pretty good outing with many more ups than downs.

For the first time this season (was common in other seasons) the Whitecaps field a starting XI with no Canadians.

Bernier started and played 90 minutes, while Ballou Tabla came on at half and Anthony Jackson-Hamel scored twice in 28 minutes as a sub in a 3-3 draw for the Impact vs Philadelphia. They came back from a 3 goal deficit.

The Impact could've easily won the game had they not fallen asleep the first 40 mins. I like Oduro but he's not good on the crosses in the box. He had a golden opportunity at the end of the first half but fumbled it. 

I liked Jackson's attitude at the end of the game when interviewed he was asked what he thought if someone would've told him he'd be tied for leading scorer w 3 goals (with just a few minutes less than playing an entire match) he said why not. Haha it was like a Zlatan response. 

Tissot gets the start for DC United against New England while Brian Wright is presumably still with NE's USL team. Although I am not sure if any non-expansion MLS team is fielding any drafted players yet this year, rather than just the Canadians drafted.

Akindele gets the start for Dallas against KC. Pasher still not with KC's first team.

Edwards goes 90 and picks up an assist on TFC's first goal in a 2-0 win over Houston, but arguably the work he did on setting up the second goal (where he wasn't credited with an assist) was more impressive. Osorio came on for the last 20 minutes and Ricketts for the last 11. Chapman was left on the bench and Morgan & Hamilton not dressed. TFC play twice next week with their next match against Orlando on Wednesday before they have to fly all the way to Seattle for a game noon local time on Saturday (who the hell came up with that schedule?), so it will be interesting to see how the squad rotation will work and if Morgan, Chapman and Hamilton will pick up some minutes.

Answer is no for Morgan. He needs to play a couple usl games before being considered and even then there is Morrow and Edwards ahead. Chapman has 4-5 players ahead of him for 2 spots and Hamilton hasn't even appeared yet so only if a forward is out.

Archived