Toronto CPL

madmonte

21 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

Maybe a City of Toronto team can be back in the mix.  

At the meeting of TFC supporters organized by MLSE and held before the Toronto vs Vancouver game today after the fans were dispersing and I was talking to  Bill Manning, he said TFC II are going to play at the BMO Training Ground (that's up in Downsview where L1O TFC III and its USSDA successor plays) next year in a soon to be constructed 1200 seat stadium.  

They seem to be disappointed at the high rent they pay for Lamport (so much for me thinking they owned it or had a special arrangement).  

That sounds like another reason they've dropped from the  USL new Premier to the 1st Division as the stadium standards aren't so high.  All those hipsters who wanted TFC II downtown instead of at Ontario Soccer Centre and saw their crowds plummet from 700 to 1000 to last night's season finale against Louisville City with uslsoccer.com stats of 128. (one hundred twenty eight) and I'd say at least 40 were cheering the visitors--not all relatives of Pickering's own Greg Ranjatsingh.

Not that I'd recommend it...read that attendance figure again to watch a bunch of Canadians running around. 

Hey this thread died off almost five months ago.  

How many minutes is Lamport from BMO Field?

If its too close to TFC's stadium then better to have a Toronto CPL club in a metro suburb and they can still use the Toronto moniker.

On 10/7/2018 at 6:49 PM, CDNFootballer said:

If its too close to TFC's stadium then better to have a Toronto CPL club in a metro suburb and they can still use the Toronto moniker.

10 minutes if you are walking. They are incredibly close together. York 9 is already trying the suburb idea. We will see if Mississauga gives it a go as well someday.

Edited by Kent
Apparently there is no 6 in “already”.

5 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

With what York 9 will do with the York University stadium, I think a North York team could work. 

Subway station right next to the stadium, University campus, North York Centre business area, over 632k people, distinctive identity, far enough from BMO field and far enough from the York 9 new location, enough corporate presence to support the team and very diverse community.

North York could work. That would make a great York-Toronto or Toronto-Hamilton or Toronto-Ottawa or Toronto-Montreal/Laval derby.

Down the road of course

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

With what York 9 will do with the York University stadium, I think a North York team could work. 

Subway station right next to the stadium, University campus, North York Centre business area, over 632k people, distinctive identity, far enough from BMO field and far enough from the York 9 new location, enough corporate presence to support the team and very diverse community.

North York could work. That would make a great York-Toronto or Toronto-Hamilton or Toronto-Ottawa or Toronto-Montreal/Laval derby.

Down the road of course

North York would be interesting but if it had to be a burb I would say Scarborough could be a maybe easier market to rally around a team. The two areas are very similar but I would say Scarborough is a bit more distinct in its character and less connected to downtown than NY, which I think would be a plus for a team playing out of there.

Edited by matty

Aside from Toronto FC I don’t knoe if Toronto really can support another team.  York9 is struggling to make a dent.

No Toronto OHL team has been successful really and hockey is a more popular viewing sport.

I wouldn’t advocate for more teams than is already there.  The Balkanization of our major cities into a bunch of smaller clubs that all struggle isn’t the way to build the sport IMO.  

There are plenty of other markets for the CanPL but let’s be honest this league is going to be best at about 10-12 strong teams plus the 3 MLS teams.

On 10/6/2018 at 9:27 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

And maybe with that indolent crowd at BMO tonight there is a gap to be filled that engages fans on another level.

I appreciate the difference between a farm team set up that is TFC2 playing in the USL and a stand alone team like a York9 or say a Toronto team playing in the CPL in an all Canadian league that is a stand alone national league as opposed to TFC 2 playing in the USL against a lot of cities that the average person has no connection to or might not even know where it is, however, TFC2 has always struggled to get  any type of attendance and this year expecially playing a lot of games downtown at BMO and Lamport and add on the fact that every season TFC ticket holder which there are over 20 000 or so could also go to TFC2 games without having to pay extra to get into TFC2 games and still nobody went, TFC2 played in front of family and friends to crowds of 200 people or less, I just don’t see how a Toronto CPL team can work , I hope I’m proven wrong but just from looking at TFC2 and the fact nobody goes it does not bode well for a Toronto CPL team working or even York 9 working.

1 hour ago, 1996 said:

I appreciate the difference between a farm team set up that is TFC2 playing in the USL and a stand alone team like a York9 or say a Toronto team playing in the CPL in an all Canadian league that is a stand alone national league as opposed to TFC 2 playing in the USL against a lot of cities that the average person has no connection to or might not even know where it is, however, TFC2 has always struggled to get  any type of attendance and this year expecially playing a lot of games downtown at BMO and Lamport and add on the fact that every season TFC ticket holder which there are over 20 000 or so could also go to TFC2 games without having to pay extra to get into TFC2 games and still nobody went, TFC2 played in front of family and friends to crowds of 200 people or less, I just don’t see how a Toronto CPL team can work , I hope I’m proven wrong but just from looking at TFC2 and the fact nobody goes it does not bode well for a Toronto CPL team working or even York 9 working.

I was mostly kidding. 

I am convinced that the only way CPL teams could work in MLS markets is by clearly setting them apart geographically, and maybe even conceptually. You'd ideally have to have an intimate but very nice stadium and be at least 20 km away, and in a municipality with a bit of character or pride of its own. And then work the counter-offer. 

That way, you would have the identity of the team, the fan experience, and the ease of attendance as factors. Along with a more attractive set of pricing. And that would be enough to pull your 5000 to the MLS average of 20,000 or so.

8 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

Aside from Toronto FC I don’t knoe if Toronto really can support another team.  York9 is struggling to make a dent.

No Toronto OHL team has been successful really and hockey is a more popular viewing sport.

I wouldn’t advocate for more teams than is already there.  The Balkanization of our major cities into a bunch of smaller clubs that all struggle isn’t the way to build the sport IMO.  

There are plenty of other markets for the CanPL but let’s be honest this league is going to be best at about 10-12 strong teams plus the 3 MLS teams.

The GTA can support another soccer team. It just needs to show that it is TFC’s equal. If York 9 fails, one solution could be to expand again into the GTA market 10-20 years from now in a hypothetical successful CPL with teams like Hamilton, Winnipeg and Cavalry all drawing 20,000 plus people and then forming a Toronto club by getting a high number of season ticket deposits and building a 20,000 seater SSS right off the bat. In other words, we might need to wait a little bit and show people in the GTA this league is big time, should it hopefully get to that, before they buy in.

Edited by Macksam

Think Hamilton, K/W, Oshawa and Barrie are as close as you can sensibly go to BMO Field judging by what happens in other sports like hockey. Being from London I see a comparison being made to the London Knights as an attraction and business model as a compliment, but the mentality is definitely different with people from the larger markets and one size doesn't have to fit all. I suspect getting the best young players and coaches like Bobby Smyrniotis from leagues like the PLSQ, L1O, the OSL and VMSL out to smaller markets where people will actually be willing to pay to watch them do their stuff and don't expect to see somebody like Giovinco or Drogba is the key to making the numbers work with pro soccer with the top available and affordable domestic talent.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

I'd be shocked if Toronto proper got a team anytime soon. The situation right now would be tough for them to launch in. I also wonder if CPL head wants a little more runway to attract people to York before they have competition for eyes from another nearby franchise.

• 1 year later...
On 10/8/2018 at 8:18 PM, lazlo_80 said:

I'd be shocked if Toronto proper got a team anytime soon. The situation right now would be tough for them to launch in....

Toronto did get a team, but it was given York Region branding despite playing south of Steeles Ave next to a TTC subway station. That's one mistake the league can readily undo with a rebrand, because the new stadium build further north that they talked about being only a couple of years away at launch seems to have subsequently slid right off the agenda.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

CPL might be the only professional soccer we get to see in Toronto for a couple of years ... mightn't be a bad time to try a second team here. Could even play at BMO, given how little use I expect it will get in 2021 ... though probably financially infeasible, unless the city makes some noise.

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

CPL might be the only professional soccer we get to see in Toronto for a couple of years ... mightn't be a bad time to try a second team here. Could even play at BMO, given how little use I expect it will get in 2021 ... though probably financially infeasible, unless the city makes some noise.

I think MLSE have managerial rights on the stadium although it's owned by the city. Like you said, it would take the city to somehow find a way for a club to play from there, otherwise, doubtful that TFC allows a CPL club to make the stadium their home

36 minutes ago, nfitz said:

I doubt TFC would allow it - but perhaps they'd be in breach of their contract if they aren't playing there themselves ... :)

It's too big anyways - Lamport is more likely TBH. Or even Varsity.

Varsity would be amazing. Call them Yorkville!

4 hours ago, nfitz said:

I doubt TFC would allow it - but perhaps they'd be in breach of their contract if they aren't playing there themselves ... :)

It's too big anyways - Lamport is more likely TBH. Or even Varsity.

Don't they have the management rights to the stadium?  If so, they're breaching their contract to themselves.

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Scarborough might be the most logical place I would think outside of North York and the city core.

Over 632k people live there and it's not exactly next door to either York Lions nor BMO Field. 

Yea but where in Scarborough? CPL need's existing stadia setups to upgrade to professional standards vs the costly building from scratch. 

Birchmount or  Lamaroux Stadium? Centennial or Seneca colleges stadium? Uoft? 

I think the investment required is too steep for these stadiums to host professional games or create a professional experience. Plus they are already oversaturated from League 1 use. It's imperative, that I think York9 slept on/took for granted.

Its the reason why I ultimately think Lamport would make a statement with the right investment, and positioning.