Toronto CPL

madmonte

1 hour ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Are any of the TO guys going to support the York team?

Loaded question.  And answers may vary.

In my view the Toronto CPL SG exists to generate interest and support towards establishing a CPL team in Toronto proper. 

A York Region branded team does not cut it.  For the CPL to thrive, and be taken seriously, we need a Toronto team. 

2 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Are any of the TO guys going to support the York team?

I will try, but then I am inYork Region, but in an area where it will take me less time to get,to York University and about the same time to get to BMO field as it would to get to the Ontario Soccer Centre if that is where they ultimately play. My support won't be at the expense of supporting TFC though, it will be additional to it.

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

Loaded question.  And answers may vary.

In my view the Toronto CPL SG exists to generate interest and support towards establishing a CPL team in Toronto proper. 

A York Region branded team does not cut it.  For the CPL to thrive, and be taken seriously, we need a Toronto team. 

@Greatest Cockney Rip Off While I'm more likely to support any York Region or Toronto team.  

We've been careful not to define ourselves in our discussions considering the unknowns about location, etc.

As for the other questions about TFC, I'm going to cross that bridge once we get there.  It's a good problem to have, which hopefully we do.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone listen to the new two solitudes podcast on York 9?

A little disappointed to hear that the proposed stadium will be located near Keele and Kirby. It's super inaccessible, though a lot better if the proposed Kirby station gets built (though that project is shrouded in controversy). I would prefer to not have driving as my only option to visit the stadium. Also, not sure what I think about electric green being confirmed as part of the team colours. I like the grey and black parts proposed though.

Can see why Toronto branding wouldn't be used if that's really the stadium location (let's bear in mind that Duane Rollins has a mixed track record on this sort of thing, although presumably he's more likely to be in the loop through people like Dino Rossi when it's the GTA that is involved). Guess you need to go out that far to get cheap land nowadays, if municipalities aren't interested in hosting a pop-up somewhere more accessible. At one point the City of Vaughan backed a stadium for the 2007 U20 World Cup but neither MLSE or the federal government were interested in pursuing it and the mayor who backed it, Michael Di Biase, soon got voted out of office and that may still be a bit of a cautionary tale for local politicians. If the investors are housing developers, I wonder if a stadium build at this location is being used to bolster the case for the Kirby Go station, if that would boost their other business interests.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

12 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Did anyone listen to the new two solitudes podcast on York 9?

A little disappointed to hear that the proposed stadium will be located near Keele and Kirby. It's super inaccessible, though a lot better if the proposed Kirby station gets built (though that project is shrouded in controversy). I would prefer to not have driving as my only option to visit the stadium. Also, not sure what I think about electric green being confirmed as part of the team colours. I like the grey and black parts proposed though.

That is quite up there. I drove by there this past weekend and stadium size and adequate parking definitely won't be an issue with the amount of land in the area. It's definitely not the worst place in the world. If things go well, building an entertainment district around it would be the next logical step for the developers along with office and retail space.

As for the team colours, green and black is more Canadian than red and white. You know those were going to be the initial colours of the modern flag but the creator changed it after he stared at it one day for an extended period of time right before it fell off his white wall. Opponent process theory did its thing and his brain computed a different image on the wall for a brief second of what we now know as our flag.

original.jpg

Try it out, stare at it for 30 seconds and then look at a plain white surface, blank piece of paper.

Edited by Macksam

• 2 weeks later...

TFC II is playing at Monarch Stadium this morning and Rollins is liking it as a possible CPL stadium for the east end of the city.  I know people will hate the track but looks nice from the pics I've seen.

3 hours ago, Rheo said:

TFC II is playing at Monarch Stadium this morning and Rollins is liking it as a possible CPL stadium for the east end of the city.  I know people will hate the track but looks nice from the pics I've seen.

Liking it as a CPLII East York/Scarborough stadium

Edit: CPL III East York team

Scarborough could be a CPL II on it's own (Population 632k)

Edited by Ansem

I have a dream of a team playing in east Toronto called "Toronto Boroughs FC"  with the nexus of East York, Scarborough and North York roughly at Victoria Park/Eglinton Monarch Park* (relatively speaking isn't far from there) would have an interesting argument for being the location for a team marketed as such due to its proximity to Line 2 on the subway.  Could be a temporary location until a stadium could be built elsewhere, maybe closer to Eglinton to take advantage of the new LRT. 

* Yes I realize Monarch Park Stadium isn't in any of the aforementioned boroughs.  

4 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I'm watching that TFC2 game now, and that stadium makes it look like a high school game.  Or maybe its just all the kids running around, either way I hope this isnt a CPL stadium.  

Also because Monarch Park is a high school.

Trust me, I like the idea of a team at Monarch Park, but taking over a high school's backyard on weekends doesn't exactly scream "pro league".

2 hours ago, RS said:

I think the idea is that there is room for a renovated/improved stadium on that site, not that the stadium as-is is CPL worthy.

I sure hope so.  After all the blustering in the last 3-4 years, that field cant be the best solution, that a CPL team takes over a high school and puts in bleachers and and port a potties.  Could you even serve beer on school grounds??  

I thought Duane if anything would be the one that realizes more than anybody else how silly it sounds even tying Monarch Park and CPL together in the same sentence. I wouldn't even put a CPL3 team down there 30 years from now, it's literally a high school field.

Rollins must have missed the school bus traffic jam caused by the game.  After the 50 parking spots are used, where will anyone who comes by car park?  It's about six blocks + to walk from Coxwell subway station.  

Expand it?  Well the south is an embankment/cliff drop to the train tracks.  The north side is the Monarch Park Collegiate which already has only a narrow concrete driveway/passage between the building and the fence--

It's the high school of Olympic swimming champion Penny Oleksiak who used her sway to shame the local politicians from closing the pool for budget/cutback reasons.  

Port-a-potties were shipped in to cope with the school day crowd.       

It's the right size for League 1 Ontario team Sanjaxx Lions and their 100 fans and that's about it.  Hmm, or TFC II and their 100 fans when it's not a school promotion. Zing!    

• 4 months later...

Maybe a City of Toronto team can be back in the mix.  

At the meeting of TFC supporters organized by MLSE and held before the Toronto vs Vancouver game today after the fans were dispersing and I was talking to  Bill Manning, he said TFC II are going to play at the BMO Training Ground (that's up in Downsview where L1O TFC III and its USSDA successor plays) next year in a soon to be constructed 1200 seat stadium.  

They seem to be disappointed at the high rent they pay for Lamport (so much for me thinking they owned it or had a special arrangement).  

That sounds like another reason they've dropped from the  USL new Premier to the 1st Division as the stadium standards aren't so high.  All those hipsters who wanted TFC II downtown instead of at Ontario Soccer Centre and saw their crowds plummet from 700 to 1000 to last night's season finale against Louisville City with uslsoccer.com stats of 128. (one hundred twenty eight) and I'd say at least 40 were cheering the visitors--not all relatives of Pickering's own Greg Ranjatsingh.

Not that I'd recommend it...read that attendance figure again to watch a bunch of Canadians running around. 

Hey this thread died off almost five months ago.  

Edited by Rocket Robin

15 minutes ago, Rocket Robin said:

Maybe a City of Toronto team can be back in the mix.  

At the meeting of TFC supporters organized by MLSE and held before the Toronto vs Vancouver game today after the fans were dispersing and I was talking to  Bill Manning, he said TFC II are going to play at the BMO Training Ground (that's up in Downsview where L1O TFC III and its USSDA successor plays) next year in a soon to be constructed 1200 seat stadium.  

They seem to be disappointed at the high rent they pay for Lamport (so much for me thinking they owned it or had a special arrangement).  

That sounds like another reason they've dropped from the  USL new Premier to the 1st Division as the stadium standards aren't so high.  All those hipsters who wanted TFC II downtown instead of at Ontario Soccer Centre and saw their crowds plummet from 700 to 1000 to last night's season finale against Louisville City with uslsoccer.com stats of 128. (one hundred twenty eight) and I'd say at least 40 were cheering the visitors--not all relatives of Pickering's own Greg Ranjatsingh.

Not that I'd recommend it...read that attendance figure again to watch a bunch of Canadians running around. 

Hey this thread died off almost five months ago.  

And maybe with that indolent crowd at BMO tonight there is a gap to be filled that engages fans on another level.