Whitecaps 2017 Season

TRM

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And this from a club that desperately closes the roof at BC Place every time there is a minimum chance of rain. 

I see the Caps as a team copying the Chelsea hymn and Spurs colours, and half-ass mixing, which shows how totally screwed up they are in the FO. 

To be fair, though, last year's was a nicer shirt. Sure, you should change each year, but when dealing with design, bad clients tend to get what they deserve.

3 hours ago, Ruffian said:

Seems to be talk on twitter about Whitecaps getting a Canadian DP with help from the league and Hutchinson mentioned a lot. Just speculation, but interesting.

There was no talk of Atiba to Vancouver. The talk was about Garber announcing that MLS is willing to subsidize team efforts to bring Canadian DP players to the league.

6 minutes ago, masster said:

There was no talk of Atiba to Vancouver. The talk was about Garber announcing that MLS is willing to subsidize team efforts to bring Canadian DP players to the league.

Correct.

Hutch would be the best player on the club by a long shot.

Having said that, I don't think a player like Hutch would address the Whitecaps biggest need. Also, I think that it would be a similar scenario to JDG signing with TFC, he'd be run out of town by supporters as he isn't there to score goals.

Absolute rocket from Tiebert. He subbed on for 35 minutes or so. Great energy, as always, and a few nice balls over the top. I think he has the ability to bring more creativity to that position than Laba and Jacobson have. If he can be consistent, then I see no reason why he cannot secure one of the two holding mid positions. 

6 hours ago, masster said:

Besides one run in the second half, I thought Davies was pretty poor.

Early on I thought he was looking good but then the torrential downpour and he never got it back. Second half I would agree. Too many bad passes and giveaways. Hard to judge due to the climate and the plastic pitch in rain. Apparently the ball sticks to the wet plastic when it is saturated. He wasn't the only one with that problem.

Van 1 - RSL 1

After much delay for the video they finally got it up on the web site. MdJ (90), Teibert (86), Bustos (45) start and Mckendry (20), Davies (21) coming on as subs.

Davies got the assist on the goal. He anticipated the play, got the jump on it and took a poor backpass into the box before dishing to Reyna. Also had a nice run down the side/end-line to break in on goal and get a shot on.

Weather and pitch were much better and the play was much better by both sides.

Watched the first half of the replay, which began around the 20th minute for some reason.

Bustos is a player I rate very highly. Someone I always felt should get more of a chance. But in this game he basically had zero influence. He has great technical ability, especially for a Canadian player, but the few times I recall the ball being played to him, he was swiftly closed down and muscled off the ball. He needs to get stronger or more athletic, or perhaps he needs to play in the centre, or maybe both. 

When Reyna came in you could see the difference right away. He is athletic in a way that Bustos is not. They are both smallish players who are great when it comes to skill but a lack of that "umph" (let's call it) might be the difference between Bustos as a USL player and Bustos as an MLS player.

13 hours ago, Soccerpro said:

Bustles gets the start.....on the wing. I feel like he never gets a real chance. I wish he'd move to a different MLS club.

I don't think the problem is with the club. Bustos needs to find a way to actually contribute to games at the MLS level. I know it's preseason, but he literally had zero influence in this match.

Archived