Jump to content
TRM

Whitecaps 2017 Season

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Soccerpro said:

Bustles gets the start.....on the wing. I feel like he never gets a real chance. I wish he'd move to a different MLS club.

If only Bustos' nickname was Bustles, he probably would have played himself into the first-team already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Watched the first half of the replay, which began around the 20th minute for some reason.

Bustos is a player I rate very highly. Someone I always felt should get more of a chance. But in this game he basically had zero influence. He has great technical ability, especially for a Canadian player, but the few times I recall the ball being played to him, he was swiftly closed down and muscled off the ball. He needs to get stronger or more athletic, or perhaps he needs to play in the centre, or maybe both. 

When Reyna came in you could see the difference right away. He is athletic in a way that Bustos is not. They are both smallish players who are great when it comes to skill but a lack of that "umph" (let's call it) might be the difference between Bustos as a USL player and Bustos as an MLS player.

Totally agree. I keep waiting for Bustos to show off his impressive skills at the MLS level - he's got a great finish, great technical passing skills, and great balance - but his lack of ability to ride a defender or to get a jump on one means he can really only shine as a number 10 that gets lots of room to operate - which he's not going to get in MLS. It's a shame he's never been coached to straight arm the on-coming defender like someone like giovinco does, as his only defence is to turn and turtle and try to draw a penalty by throwing himself to the ground. It worries me that these weak spots might mean he can't make it in the league, every year I hope I'm wrong.. and I hope Robbo stops setting him up for failure out on the wing or at least instructs him to cut in and and give himself space to operate if the caps are moving to a 442 with Reyna and a number 9.. fingers crossed it works out for Marco or they move him to a team that suits his style.

Edited by miel de maple

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, miel de maple said:

Totally agree. I keep waiting for Bustos to show off his impressive skills at the MLS level - he's got a great finish, great technical passing skills, and great balance - but his lack of ability to ride a defender or to get a jump on one means he can really only shine as a number 10 that gets lots of room to operate - which he's not going to get in MLS. It's a shame he's never been coached to straight arm the on-coming defender like someone like giovinco does, as his only defence is to turn and turtle and try to draw a penalty by throwing himself to the ground. It worries me that these weak spots might mean he can't make it in the league, every year I hope I'm wrong.. and I hope Robbo stops setting him up for failure out on the wing or at least instructs him to cut in and and give himself space to operate if the caps are moving to a 442 with Reyna and a number 9.. fingers crossed it works out for Marco or they move him to a team that suits his style.

Inability to ride a challenge. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Report Colombian outlet El Heraldo reported on Feb. 13 that former Seattle Sounders star F Fredy Montero, who scored 47 goals in 119 MLS games from 2009-12, is set to return to MLS after a stint in China – but with Seattle's rivals the Vancouver Whitecaps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, kmouseyc said:
Report Colombian outlet El Heraldo reported on Feb. 13 that former Seattle Sounders star F Fredy Montero, who scored 47 goals in 119 MLS games from 2009-12, is set to return to MLS after a stint in China – but with Seattle's rivals the Vancouver Whitecaps.

Sheesh, we're lost at sea, it is totally ridiculous what they are doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If true it is a great signing. I always was amazed by Montero's finishing. He is a true #9 that we have been missing since Camilo left. Provided that they don't try to utilize him as a lone forward.

As to Bustos the comments here about his lack of effect and getting closed down and muscled off are bang on. For a contrast of effectiveness look at Davies 20 minutes. For a look at how a much smaller player out balances / works a bigger stronger one look at Palata vs MdJ. Marcel was probably thinking "how the hell did he get to it?".

Edited by TRM
Fix loan to lone :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, kmouseyc said:
Report Colombian outlet El Heraldo reported on Feb. 13 that former Seattle Sounders star F Fredy Montero, who scored 47 goals in 119 MLS games from 2009-12, is set to return to MLS after a stint in China – but with Seattle's rivals the Vancouver Whitecaps.

I don't want him here. Nothing could make me feel dirtier than having Seattle's first superstar on our team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was okay 3 years ago in Portugal, just okay. But he is past his prime, is in decline, does not shine in China even, and it's a signing you can't really figure out the logic to. One week before our most important game in recent history?

They are making things up as they go along. Robinson does not have a clear idea what sort of team he wants to coach a week before the Concacaf quarter finals. But he was sure about wanting to extend his holidays in Wales.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You can tell I am teed off about the Caps, maybe because I'll likely be back in Van more this year and will have to watch them more (and yes, I will still be taking my shirt off, get the word out!!)

A shirtless professor?! Tell me more. (It being Valentine's Day and all.)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Orlando can have him and his sexual assault allegations. I'd rather the Whitecaps tried to find their own version of Montero from South American rather than constantly recycling their rivals strikers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Instead of just some weak twitter chatter of possibilities, GlassCity is throwing this out:

Well Hutch gives us something different, not a Morales, not really a DM, and I'd imagine they'd ask him to do more than just cover other's asses. Otherwise, not money well spent. 

But still, building around him, since that is literally what would happen, could give us greater consistency in the middle. And maybe some more ball control as well. I am not sure is it the right player to spend DP money on, but if what we know about MLS making the funds available is true, then it makes sense for Caps to say yes. He is Canada's no 1 player at the moment hands down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming Atiba is still involved in the national team picture, I really don't want him anywhere near MLS. Even at 34 he's far, far too good for the league.

But if he does come to the Whitecaps, that would be a hell of a signing for them. Instantly becomes the best player they've ever had at any position IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Well Hutch gives us something different, not a Morales, not really a DM, and I'd imagine they'd ask him to do more than just cover other's asses. Otherwise, not money well spent. 

But still, building around him, since that is literally what would happen, could give us greater consistency in the middle. And maybe some more ball control as well. I am not sure is it the right player to spend DP money on, but if what we know about MLS making the funds available is true, then it makes sense for Caps to say yes. He is Canada's no 1 player at the moment hands down.

From Garber's quote they might not be paying the DP money. Maybe the biggest investment from them would be using the DP slot him. I know a lot of people here would not be happy with this move, but in my opinion he will not improve any more at Besiktas.

He is much more valuable to CanMNT in Vancouver potentially bringing more Canadian fans to support the Canadian team thereby bringing more money to the Canadian program. Playing here he is more likely to inspire the next generation of Canadian youths. Playing a few more years with CanMNT and being the face of Canadian soccer for the remainder of his playing career might be where he can help Canadian soccer the most.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

From Garber's quote they might not be paying the DP money. Maybe the biggest investment from them would be using the DP slot him. I know a lot of people here would not be happy with this move, but in my opinion he will not improve any more at Besiktas.

He is much more valuable to CanMNT in Vancouver potentially bringing more Canadian fans to support the Canadian team thereby bringing more money to the Canadian program. Playing here he is more likely to inspire the next generation of Canadian youths. Playing a few more years with CanMNT and being the face of Canadian soccer for the remainder of his playing career might be where he can help Canadian soccer the most.

He has not dropped at all in his play at Besiktas, who are again leading their league. 

Meaning he would play Champions League next year, again. I don't think there is anything to indicate his play is in decline. 

But you could be right that this is the last contract, likely decent money, and back in Canada. As he is not from Van I am not sure of the logic, but even so. Can players signed like this ask for a no-trade clause, how does that work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Can players signed like this ask for a no-trade clause, how does that work?

Yes I believe DPs can have a no-trade clause in their contract. I think De Guzman also had one but may have waived it when he was made a scapegoat and moved to Dallas.

Edit: Also I did not mention he declined just that he may not improve. 

Edited by Ruffian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would prefer Hutchinson to stay at Besiktas. Another season of Champions League play next season is a real possibility, as is a second consecutive league title.

I don't see Hutchinson doing as well in MLS as he does in Turkey. The DP price tag often comes with unrealistic expectations. I think this move would actually take away from his legacy, rather than add to it.

Vancouver doesn't feel like the right fit for Hutchinson. First of all, he has to play on Turf. Second of all, he has no connection to Vancouver (as far as I know).

He still may go for it, as he expressed interest in MLS before, and at 34 you'd have to think the window is closing. I'm sure he wants to come over while he's still at his peak (and as far as performances go, this is his peak).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ruffian said:

It looks official

 

Rather impressive methinks.

Unfortunate that he's missed the complete pre-season though. Could be 2-3 months before hes at full strength now...

Edited by shamrock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I don't see Hutchinson doing as well in MLS as he does in Turkey. The DP price tag often comes with unrealistic expectations. I think this move would actually take away from his legacy, rather than add to it.

My fears exactly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

My fears exactly.

x2

Especially given Hutch's style of play - which is often about being strong and consistent at a high level rather than being able to turn a game on its head - I fear for the expectations that would be heaped on him.  VWC can be good, but they can also be a ******* dumpster fire, and to have him viewed as some sort of Canadian messiah could really backfire. 

None of this is meant to in any way disrespect Hutch.  But I see this signing a lot like TFC signing (the admittedly more defensive) JDG.  He raised the overall level of quality, but wasn't the kind of game-changing impact player that people often expect from a DP.  And I see a similar dynamic with Hutch.  If Hutch could have that kind of impact, I think we would see it with the Nats when we play middling teams from our federation.  Yet, despite being a clearly high quality player, Hutch doesn't generally have that kind of impact. 

Maybe that is unfair, and Vancouver wouldn't expect that from him.  But the expectations on DPs are pretty huge, and I wouldn't want to see people disappointed because Atiba wasn't the saviour they were hoping for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...