Canada vs Brazil, Tuesday June 7th - OTTAWA

TIXpageRight_EN.png
Facebook event page: http://www.facebook.com/events/981384298604921/
Pregame: The Georgetown Pub, 1159 Bank St  (parking is very limited)
March time: 6:20pm sharp

@admin (Jamie) still has A VERY LIMITED NUMBER of tickets in our section (W). Contact him for details. We may be getting a code to buy more in W.

CanMNT pre-pregame Breakfast:

image.jpeg

Since the Men are playing on Tuesday morning vs Uzbekistan we are having a CanMNT breakfast viewing party!

Hosted by @BuzzAndSting  via http://www.youtube.com/c/canadasoccertv

Where: Grace O'Malley's Irish Pub and Restaurant, 1151 Ogilvie Rd

http://www.facebook.com/events/1084809204930199/

When: Kickoff is 10am. http://www.canadasoccer.com/?gid=1387&t=match Game is over at noon. Then we see each other later in the day at the Georgetown!

Also for anyone interested there are a few people looking to have a bit of a kick about at Parliment Hill on the Monday evening if anyone is interested. Jumpers for goalposts and all that, nothing too serious.

Of course if any of the Ottawa supporters groups might have an idea for a more formalized match that might be cool too!

It'll be really interesting to see how Ottawa responds to this game, particularly around our section. It's shaping up to be a solid night in terms of both supporters presence and attendance. People seem interested on both ends.

The Voyageurs section is slowly coming together. We have a new set of capo's who seem keen. I'm sure the section's dynamics will sort themselves out. It's been so long since Ottawa has hosted a national team that I'm sure we'll be figuring some stuff out that day.

For people coming in from the Toronto match: it would make a huge difference if you bring up some V's banners and maybe flags that we could bring into our area. We don't have much in the way of V's equipment yet.

Thanks to @Olympique_de_Marseille for all the work he's put into making this organized.

6 minutes ago, Red and White said:

For people coming in from the Toronto match: it would make a huge difference if you bring up some V's banners and maybe flags that we could bring into our area. We don't have much in the way of V's equipment yet.

Going to buy some Canada flags at Dollarama for a few bucks each (the 3ft by 5ft are $3.40 or so after tax). We will need the poles though. Stephane says the Bytown Boys don't have enough. It would be nice to have a flagline the length of the section. Every person in the front or every 2nd person has a flag (so 12 or 23 flags).

Thanks to everyone who came up to Ottawa for this match! It was great seeing everyone tonight.

Apart from some mishaps with CSA rules and flagpoles, we did pretty well tonight and had a great time. The V's section was lively and energetic for a full 90 minutes. Scoring that last minute goal sealed a fun night.

8 hours ago, Red and White said:

Thanks to everyone who came up to Ottawa for this match! It was great seeing everyone tonight.

Apart from some mishaps with CSA rules and flagpoles, we did pretty well tonight and had a great time. The V's section was lively and energetic for a full 90 minutes. Scoring that last minute goal sealed a fun night.

Overheard in section Z (three sections over) around the 3rd minute: "Are they going to do that all game?"

Looked like fun.

I think the goal was well deserved and kudos to the ref for adding an appropriate amount of time on to the specified 3 minutes of stoppage due to the time wasting of the Brazilian keeper whether the injury was legit or not, referees rarely get that right!

1 hour ago, zeelaw1555362314 said:

What happened with the flags/banners?  People were tweeting that TD Place took them away?

miscommunication around what was allowed, CSA rules different from Fury rules, and different rules between Toronto & Ottawa as well. Really odd. 

As a result right before kick off a security guy came and took the flag poles away, we still had the flags. 

6 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

We were also told at one point by security to sit down, and then threatened with removal from the stadium by security.

True. She left rather quickly when realizing what she was asking for was ridiculous.

It's been a long time since we had a national team match in Ottawa. Lots of growing pains yesterday.

On 8/6/2016 at 9:17 AM, El Hombre said:

Overheard in section Z (three sections over) around the 3rd minute: "Are they going to do that all game?"

Looked like fun.

What, I could have met El Hombre? I needed to meet the creator of the Rob Friend fan club. 

38 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

What, I could have met El Hombre? I needed to meet the creator of the Rob Friend fan club. 

You were there?  Damn!  I should've popped over to see who was there but I was with El Nino and he's not quite ready for the supporters section:

El Hombre: So, who are you cheering for?
El Nino: I just want everyone to have fun.
El Hombre: But we want Canada to win, right?
El Nino: Or a tie would be good for both teams.
El Hombre: But....but...we agree that Honduras can go get fucked right?  I mean c'mon, fuck Honduras, right?  Right?

(95% of the above conversation was true, I'll let you decide which parts)

On June 9, 2016 at 6:42 PM, El Hombre said:

You were there?  Damn!  I should've popped over to see who was there but I was with El Nino and he's not quite ready for the supporters section:

El Hombre: So, who are you cheering for?
El Nino: I just want everyone to have fun.
El Hombre: But we want Canada to win, right?
El Nino: Or a tie would be good for both teams.
El Hombre: But....but...we agree that Honduras can go get fucked right?  I mean c'mon, fuck Honduras, right?  Right?

(95% of the above conversation was true, I'll let you decide which parts)

You should have at least made an appearance.  Not only was the famous Blackdude around but so was socceronly.  

Plus I believe all you have said above is true except that I believe El Niño is ready for the supporters section and that El Hombre is not.  

Instead of demanding that Tancredi retire, how about demanding that someone younger play well enough to take her spot?  I haven't seen any evidence that Herdman is holding back excellent younger players to play decrepit veterans.  If someone is playing, it's because they're the best choice.

1 hour ago, dsqpr said:

Yes. One of our best midfielders at the World Cup and had a strong impact against Brazil when moved up into midfield. We are wasting her talent at full back.

On another note, I think it is time for Tancredi to retire and make way for a youngster. She is no longer playing at the level required for our national team.

With Lawrence, you need her where she'll see the ball lots as opposed to waiting for distribution to her full back position.  Seeing her get shuffled around positionally reminds me of how Hutchinson was deployed early in his career (RB, CB, as well as midfield) with the MNT.  However, I really liked Belanger in that RB role last year and I'd prefer her there instead of as a forward sub.  Last year at the WWC Chapman at LB had spells where she was either really good or really poor, but I think she can do the job as the starter there.  Not sure about Wilkinson's defensive qualities at this stage of her career .

I think Tancredi has a role in this likely final major competition for her as a late game attacking sub if we opt to go with more direct service "into the mixer," so to speak, and I think she's probably the best player we have for that specific job.  To add to rkomar's comments, we are seeing more confidence in younger players as the back ups as opposed to veterans who never saw the pitch except for garbage minutes.

Finally, maybe it's just me but Scott doesn't seem as dominant as she once was.  In London, she was an ever present and indispensable midfield piece but in last year's tourney and now these matches she hasn't been the same player and quite often has been subbed, with Schmidt dropping into a deeper role.  Your thoughts?  

Archived