Canadians in MLS 2016 Season

Gian-Luca

6 hours ago, C2SKI said:

Not that it's terribly important, but I don't think you can call either Aird or Smith rookies. They have ~200 professional games between them and have both represented their countries at senior level.

While true most of Aird's time was when Rangers were financially relegated to 4th, 3rd, 2cd div in Scotland and Smith was in Costa Rica's domestic league. They have some experience but are still very young and mistake prone defensively. Not rookies then but definitely young and inexperienced in MLS.

LA went after Marcel so hard I couldn't believe it because he just kept shutting them down (15 tackles and interceptions, 3rd best in the league this year).

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, C2SKI said:

Agreed, I thought Aird was quite effective in that role. He's really direct, and he plays with pace and tenacity. He was dangerous going forward and responsible defensively.

Not that it's terribly important, but I don't think you can call either Aird or Smith rookies. They have ~200 professional games between them and have both represented their countries at senior level.

Yeah, plus Smith is like 25.

2 hours ago, TRM said:

Edgar goes the full 90 and Teibert goes 55 before he gets subbed due to injury. Hope it's not serious.

The more I get the chance to watch Edgar closely now in MLS, the more I think he is not a top CB. Loses his man too often in the box. Any time the ball is coming in from the wing, he isn't tight enough on his mark. Just doesn't read the game well enough in my opinion.

Thought I recalled Ricketts limping off the field last week against Chicago but didn't hear about an official injury. However, sitting at BMO field I don't see him doing the warm ups. Looks like Hamilton will start up top alongside Altidore, with Babouli on the bench. Johnson and Osorio also to start, the other Canucks are still injured

On 11/9/2016 at 6:43 AM, masster said:

The more I get the chance to watch Edgar closely now in MLS, the more I think he is not a top CB. Loses his man too often in the box. Any time the ball is coming in from the wing, he isn't tight enough on his mark. Just doesn't read the game well enough in my opinion.

Which is why it made all the more sense for Floro to play him in the midfield, wouldn't you say!:D

Too bad these Floro touchées are going to go stale in about 3 weeks.

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

Hamilton and Osorio play 90, Johnson 60 as TFC come back to draw NYRB 3-3. Osorio assisted on the first goal. Too bad Mo was not brought on to play right wing instead of Endoh who was ineffective in that role for about the 7th consecutive game

It was very telling that Bradley looked out wide to the right and then decided to play the ball inside to Altidore instead on the tying goal. After the goal Osorio moved out right. His team mates have caught on to that fact, too bad Vanney hasn't. Also Lovitz was a turnover machine on the left. I like 3 at the back, but we need better wingers than those two to play the system effectively.

Osorio goes 90 and pretty much set up game-tying goal all by himself in TFC's 1-1 draw against Philly. Which is good because he nearly set up Philly for 2-0 lead early in the 2nd half all by himself. Johnson and Hamilton also started, with Johnson subbed out after 58 minutes and Hamilton after about 76 minutes in favour of Babouli, who was a handful for Philly for the brief time he was out there and was unlucky to not have contributed to either the winning goal or (most likely) the winning PK. Unsurprisingly to me, he seemed to be a better fit to play alongside Altidore than Hamilton - the two, as yet, don't have much chemistry together, although that wasn't helped by Hamilton being told by Vanney to play out wide for some reason, leaving Altidore well covered by the Philly defenders as a result. He didn't get any chances to score until late when Babouli gave the defenders something else to worry about. Ironically, if Osorio hadn't set up Morrow for the goal when he did, we would have seen Endoh instead of Babouli as Vanney had him & Lovitz waiting on the sidelines to come on and had pulled the rest of the subs back to the bench. So as a TFC & Canadian fan I was grateful to see that goal for a couple of reasons.

9 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Osorio goes 90 and pretty much set up game-tying goal all by himself in TFC's 1-1 draw against Philly. Which is good because he nearly set up Philly for 2-0 lead early in the 2nd half all by himself. 

He had a rough first half with those giveaways but redeemed himself with that great run and pass for the tying goal.  Johnson was quite poor, imo.  Babouli's strength (his direct style of play when on the ball) made some things happen during his appearance.

Lots of needless giveaways in this match, with both teams.  C'est la vie in MLS, even with the supposed upper echelon types.  They're going to happen, but the better teams in this league seem to be able to minimize the damage.  The poor ones consistently punished with goals against.  

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a summary of every Canadian that at the very least made the bench in the MLS regular season this year. I included unused sub because not only would this list look pretty bleak, but it also is likely the next person up given an injury, suspension or two. In summary, there are quite a few players, but not many that are getting regular minutes. If the idea is to have a national team full of MLS starters there is still a long ways to go. Consider that 3060 is the maximum minutes for the season. Lets say 1500 is considered a regular. That would only put Larin, Akindele, Osorio, and Johnson as regulars.

Forward                

Player

Team Age Starts Sub Appearance Unused Sub Minutes Goals  Assits
Cyle Larin Orlando 21 29 3   2503 14 3
Tesho Akindele Dallas 24 15 16   1514 6 4
Jordan Hamilton Toronto 20 11 3 4 911 3 1
Molham Babouli Toronto 23 6 10 11 647   2
Toisant Ricketts Toronto 29 4 7 1 399 3 1
Anthony Jackson-Hamel Montreal 23 1 6 2 171 1  

Midfield

Player Team Age Starts Sub Appearance Unused Sub Minutes Goals  Assits
Jonathon Osorio Toronto 24 26 4   2440 2 5
Will Johnson Toronto 29 19 4 1 1660 2 5
Patrice Bernier Montreal 36 13 7 6 1185   1
Kyle Bekker Montreal 25 13 5 10 1139 1  
Jay Chapman Toronto 22 9 9 5 780   2
Russell Teibert Vancouver 23 8 3 4 696    
Alphonso Davies Vancouver 15 2 6   299    
Kianz Froese Vancouver 20 1 4   150    
David Choiniere Montreal 19 1   2 76    
Marco Bustos Vancouver 20 1 2 2 63    
Raheem Edwards Toronto 21   1   2    
Jeremy Gagnon-Lapare Montreal 21     6 0    
Ben Mckendry Vancouver 23     5 0    

Defence

Fraser Aird Vancouver 21 16 2 5 1455    
Wandrille Lefevre Montreal 27 12 1 13 1114    
David Edgar Vancouver 29 8   3 720    
Karl Oimette New York 24 6 1 2 583    
Maxime Tissot Montreal 24 5 2 5 517    
Marcel Dejong Vancouver 30 5 2 3 467    
Ashton Morgan Toronto 25   7 6 157    
Sam Adekugbe Vancouver 21 1 1 11 111    
Brett Levis Vancouver 23   1 1 6    

Goalie

Quillan Roberts Toronto 22     19 0    
Maxime Crepeau Montreal 22     4 0    

In addition to my previous post this would be Canada's MLS team using a 4-4-2 based solely on minutes. As well as our team of only 23 and under. (used a 3-5-2 for the U23 since we only had 3 U23 defence play this year. Not actually using which wing/side, etc.

By minutes       U23      
  Larin Akindele     Hamilton Larin Babouli
Bernier Osorio Johnson Bekker Choiniere Chapman Froese Davies
Oimette Lefevre Edgar Aird   Adekugbe Levis Aird
  Roberts       Roberts  

Hamilton       Jasckson-Hamel    
Chapman       Bustos      
Teibert       Edwards      
Babouli       Gagnon-Lapare    
Tissot       Mckendry      
Dejong       Levis      
Crepeau       Crepeau      

Thanks for the summary. In terms of who is a regular, injuries as well as timing of when some of these players were acquired during the season would play into account (ie. its tough to argue that once TFC got Ricketts that he didn't become a regularly used player, or same with Edgar for Vancouver once he got into fitness).

Most alarming/worrying stat for me is the zero minutes played by Canadian keepers in MLS (poor Quillan Rorberts leading the way with 19 unused sub appearances).

By the way, I don't recall Chapman scoring for TFC but he did pick up a couple of assists

11 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Thanks for the summary. In terms of who is a regular, injuries as well as timing of when some of these players were acquired during the season would play into account (ie. its tough to argue that once TFC got Ricketts that he didn't become a regularly used player, or same with Edgar for Vancouver once he got into fitness).

Most alarming/worrying stat for me is the zero minutes played by Canadian keepers in MLS (poor Quillan Rorberts leading the way with 19 unused sub appearances).

By the way, I don't recall Chapman scoring for TFC but he did pick up a couple of assists

The midfield stats got mixed up. Corrected it now. That was Bekker with the 1 goal. Chapman did have 2 assists though. 

Thought that would get too confusing organizing players that came mid-way through the season. Was cool having some veteran Canadians coming home to play. 

The entire back end looks pretty weak in the future. 2 of the 3 defence that did play combined for less than a game and a half.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2016-12-16 at 4:54 PM, jonovision said:

Over the course of the 2016 season, in all competitions, TFC had 20.5% of their minutes played by Canadians. The Whitecaps were not worst, at 15.5% and Montreal clocked in at 12.5%.

On the NASL side, Ottawa were the leaders with 34.4% and Edmonton at 21.8%.

http://oot-football.blogspot.ca/2016/12/canadian-content-in-2016-final-numbers.html

The reduced time for Patrice Bernier is showing. At 37 his playoff games were impressive but one has to wonder if we've seen the last of him in an Impact jersey?

15 hours ago, TRM said:

The reduced time for Patrice Bernier is showing. At 37 his playoff games were impressive but one has to wonder if we've seen the last of him in an Impact jersey?

I don't think so. Bernier still wants to play 2 more years, but the Impact only want to give him one. The reason why negociations are taking so long is because they want to know how to give Bernier a job after his football playing career. 

Archived