Canadians in MLS 2016 Season

Gian-Luca

On August 2, 2016 at 6:55 AM, shamrock said:

Jackson-Hamel should get out ASAP. Not because Montreal is a bad organization or whatever, but he needs more minutes and he would probably be a starter at the NASL level. So why loose any more time, just go there!

fwiw he was getting sub minutes at the start of the season and looked good. Then he got injured and he hasn't been seen in MLS action since. He's played games with FC MTL since then but I think he's had more injury problems. Impact head office must see something in him because they got rid of Porter instead. Hopefully he puts in a good shift tonight against AS Roma. 

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the record, Osorio goes 90, Hamilton & Chapman 56 minutes each and Ricketts subbed on for Hamilton for the last 34 minutes, scoring the only goal in TFC's 1-0 win over RSL.

TFC's Canadian player minutes in MLS are now as follows:

Osorio - 1393

Johnson - 1238

Hamilton - 713

Chapman - 590

Babouli - 568

Morgan - 97

Ricketts - 53

Edwards - 2

Mannella & Roberts with 0.

On August 3, 2016 at 0:07 PM, farrelld said:

fwiw he was getting sub minutes at the start of the season and looked good. Then he got injured and he hasn't been seen in MLS action since. He's played games with FC MTL since then but I think he's had more injury problems. Impact head office must see something in him because they got rid of Porter instead. Hopefully he puts in a good shift tonight against AS Roma. 

There's a reason they see something in him. AJH has all the tools and ability to match what Larin and now Hamilton are doing in this league.

Ricketts plays 60 and looks pretty good for TFC as they are currently up 2-0. Made a great long pass to Giovinco and then narrowly missed scoring in the previous 5 minutes before coming off.

Chapman plays 62 minutes, didnt really notice him much tonight (i did miss a chunk of the 1st half though).

Osorio went 90 and looked good, he drew the PK that led to the third TFC goal and gave Giovinco his hat-trick.

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

Ricketts plays 60 and looks pretty good for TFC as they are currently up 2-0. Made a great long pass to Giovinco and then narrowly missed scoring in the previous 5 minutes before coming off.

Chapman plays 62 minutes, didnt really notice him much tonight (i did miss a chunk of the 1st half though).

Osorio went 90 and looked good, he drew the PK that led to the third TFC goal and gave Giovinco his hat-trick.

I thought Chapman was pretty good once again. Very promissing player IMHO.

Ricketts and Osorio also had a strong game. No Hamilton on the bench. 

De Jong & Edgar go the full 90. Edgar was playing CB with Parker pushed out to RB. Neither Edgar nor Parker looked very good and they were responsible for both goals. Neither RB or LB got forward much and contributed offensively. Davies coming in for the last 30 was a huge plus. Not just because he was running at tired players but he really makes things happen. A few errant passes trying to swing the ball across the field to MDJ but that could be Marcel not having enough gas left to get to them.

1 hour ago, aloyol said:

I thought Chapman was pretty good once again. Very promissing player IMHO.

Ricketts and Osorio also had a strong game. No Hamilton on the bench. 

It seems that Babouli has lost his minutes as well.

As for Vancouver, I think Carl Robinson is really being exposed. Not a good scout or tactical manager. I think he gets another season but I suspect last year will be seen as his high water mark as a manager.

Reading the Montreal blogs/boards, all of the fans seem to have turned on Bekker, and it looks like Biello has as well.

2 hours ago, TRM said:

De Jong & Edgar go the full 90. Edgar was playing CB with Parker pushed out to RB. Neither Edgar nor Parker looked very good and they were responsible for both goals.

I don't agree with putting the blame on just those two, particularly Edgar. Both are from poor team defense IMO. Parker certainly has to take his share of the blame for getting beat on both goals but I have some sympathy for the guy being played out of position like that. However both goals are a direct result of a late run from the Colorado midfield (the same player - Hairston - in both instances) not being picked up by either of Vancouver's defensive midfielders. I suppose one might say that Edgar could have done better on the first goal to take a look over his shoulder but it looked to me that he had his eye on another striker and is positioning himself to keep that player at bay if the ball comes to that player.  It would be harsh to suggest that Edgar also was responsible for an additional player on top of that making a late run into the box from the midfield. I would question what the point is of Vancouver having two d-mids if neither of them are going to pick up runs from the midfield like that. Granted, the game is in Colorado where nobody else but the Rapids can breathe, so I realize that late-run tracking isn't easy, but still......

4 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Osorio also drew the foul leading to the 4th goal. Chapman was very good defensively I thought (particularly for the 15 minutes of the 2nd half that he played - I was surprised sitting in the stands when he got taken out, I assumed it would be for Bradley) and he had an excellent through ball for Ricketts in the first half that Ricketts wasn't able to capitalize on.

Shoud add that Morgan played the last 15 minutes for TFC, his first MLS-league minutes in quite a while

Parker has played RB before and much better defensively. I was expecting better defending by him as he's been very good at it in the past. Yes our DMs were vacant on several of the plays. Edgar has travelled close to 14k in less than 2 weeks. Welcome to MLS David!

We'll see how they do in Vancouver on Friday after a week of rest and practice. I'm hoping the same back 4 start as I think they have potential to be a solid set.

On August 5, 2016 at 3:15 AM, shamrock said:

Yet he's 2 year older. So in other words, he's getting passed by the Larins and Hamiltons out there. Serious playing time is all he needs, not a couple of minutes here and there. 

Yeah, he needs playing time. However, I don't think Drogba being there is a huge issue. AJH looks like he can be really effective on the flanks with his speed and dribbling ability. I would deploy him there until he's needed as a striker.

40 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Aird looks more effective as an offensive talent.

Really sweet run he did. Fantastic acceleration and touch. We need to see more of that and I'm all in favour of him playing RM in place of the bug. His time at RB would teach him to defend and if he can do that from the RM position then he'd be very effective.

Bekker & Lefevre on the bench for Montreal to start against NYRB. No Canucks starting.

Only 1 Canuck (Osorio) starting for TFC tonight according to the team's official Facebook account - however, the good news is that the bench is nearly entirely Canuck - Roberts, Morgan, Chapman, Johnson, Hamilton, Ricketts on the bench with just Endoh as a non-Canuck. No doubt Vanney will only sub in Endoh, and at Osorio's expense, just to annoy us all. ;). Nice to see Johnson healthy enough to make the bench. First time in a while that Babouli has not even been dressed, but not too surprising - since Altidore & Ricketts came back he hasn't seen a minute of playing time.

No Canucks features for Montreal tonight in a 3-1 loss. Akindele scores off the bench for Dallas against KC in a 2-2 draw. No Canucks play for TFC tonight as the game is still in a weather delay and by the time it kicks off it will be past midnight (at least in this time zone), possibly played some time tomorrow.

Archived