Canadians in MLS 2016 Season

Gian-Luca

I hope a mod can sticky this and unsticky the 2015 thread now that 2016 has begun.

Opening Day so far:

Osorio & Johnson go 90 minutes in TFC's 2-0 win over NYRB. Morgan got on for the last 10 minutes. Hopefully Lovitz (the one TFC players who looked poor) has played himself off the TFC starting line-up for next week and Bobouli will play in his stead (Mo was on the bench, and presumably so was Hamilton, Chapman and Roberts).

Cyle Larin scores for Orlando in the 94th minute in a 2-2 draw with RSL.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 06/03/2016 at 4:26 PM, Gian-Luca said:

Hopefully Lovitz (the one TFC players who looked poor) has played himself off the TFC starting line-up for next week and Bobouli will play in his stead (Mo was on the bench, and presumably so was Hamilton, Chapman and Roberts).

As soon as Altidore is back that LW spot is going to be Giovinco's .   I don't think we'll  see much of Bobouli this season.  I expect Hamilton  will get a fair bit of 10-15 min appearances as a backup striker this year.  Morgan looks like he can carve out a niche as a 3rd FB/ Defensive winervous replacement this year.  Chapman will get spot time for injuries and mid week games but that's it I think.

Overall Toronto will have good Canadian representation this year compared to the past few years.

1 hour ago, baulderdash77 said:

As soon as Altidore is back that LW spot is going to be Giovinco's .   I don't think we'll  see much of Bobouli this season.  I expect Hamilton  will get a fair bit of 10-15 min appearances as a backup striker this year.  Morgan looks like he can carve out a niche as a 3rd FB/ Defensive winervous replacement this year.  Chapman will get spot time for injuries and mid week games but that's it I think.

Overall Toronto will have good Canadian representation this year compared to the past few years.

Giovinco may drift out wide quite a bit just to get himself some space but I doubt they are ever going to play him as an out and out winger. I expect they will change the formation for the games that Altidore plays this year (which will probably be about 50% of them) and play Osorio on the left of a 4-man midfield as they did last year.

Aird goes the full 90 and Froese goes 66 minutes in our opening loss to Montreal. What is it about the Impact? They just seem to have our number. At least that is it for MLS games against them.

AJH also subbed in for Montreal and got 37 minutes. As usual he scared me with his play. He is a very dangerous forward. Rang one off the post. I think he will be in the mix for minutes this year. Great to see and I hope he continues developing. Tesho, Cyle & Anthony are all looking good for our MNT in attacking roles.

11 hours ago, TRM said:

Aird goes the full 90 and Froese goes 66 minutes in our opening loss to Montreal. What is it about the Impact? They just seem to have our number. At least that is it for MLS games against them.

Impact is 2-1-2 (W-D-L) in MLS play against Vancouver. I don'T think that it means having someone's number. 

14 hours ago, TRM said:

AJH also subbed in for Montreal and got 37 minutes. As usual he scared me with his play. He is a very dangerous forward. Rang one off the post. I think he will be in the mix for minutes this year. Great to see and I hope he continues developing. Tesho, Cyle & Anthony are all looking good for our MNT in attacking roles.

AJH being the first forward off the bench in a game like this is a good sign. He looked dangerous hitting the post. Hopefully he continues to keep the coaches confidence.

Akindele came on for the last 6 minutes or so in Dallas's 2-0 win over Philadelphia.

Larin, Akindele, Laryea and Ouimette - are they the only Canucks on American MLS teams this year? Trying to recall if I've missed anyone but I think the others from last year have either moved to a Canuck team (Johnson) or are no longer in the league (De Jong, Vittoria). Fortunately the numbers on Cdn. teams appear to be a little higher, largely through more young players breaking through to first team contracts - hopefully that will translate into more minutes

13 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

How was Froese?

http://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2016-03-06-vancouver-whitecaps-fc-vs-montreal-impact/boxscore

Quite good. Team high 94% passing accuracy (34/36), took a shot from outside the box with defenders closing him down, recovered a few and did 3 good dribbling runs. Solid. I think Russ and Deybi will not displace him at the box to box midfield role.

4 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Larin, Akindele, Laryea and Ouimette - are they the only Canucks on American MLS teams this year? Trying to recall if I've missed anyone but I think the others from last year have either moved to a Canuck team (Johnson) or are no longer in the league (De Jong, Vittoria). Fortunately the numbers on Cdn. teams appear to be a little higher, largely through more young players breaking through to first team contracts - hopefully that will translate into more minutes

Richie Laryea made the bench for Orlando opening day. Not sure if he'll make many appearances though, I think OCFC has a few injuries at the moment.

On ‎08‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 11:09 AM, Soccerpro said:

AJH being the first forward off the bench in a game like this is a good sign. He looked dangerous hitting the post. Hopefully he continues to keep the coaches confidence.

Agreed. IIRC in his debut back in 2014 AJH hit the post only a minute or two into his MLS debut. I've found he seems to be a decent finisher if set up with quality chances but doesn't create many of his own.

And in what can only be described as a bizarre early season experiment at squad rotation both Aird and Froese don't start. On the bright side Aird comes in for Smith after Smith takes a stupid lazy red card and Froese comes in for Flores after what can only be charitably called a "painful" first half by Flores.

So both Aird and Froese get 45 tonight and I dare say the full 90 next week.

AJH has looked good since he started subbing on for Montreal last year but has always seemed to hit the post after a great play just like in Vancouver last week and ultimately as a striker you have to score. Finally one drops for him and I can only hope that this is the trigger that opens the floodgates for him. From a Canadian content standpoint even better that it was Bekker who won the ball off the New York throw in and made a quick pass to Venegas who passed to Shipp who chipped it to AJH. On the negative from a Canadian standpoint on the goal Ouimette probably should have done a bit better against Shipp. Ouimette was a bit mediocre but it is a bit hard to judge him because the two defenders on each side of him, Baah and Zizzo were absolutely terrible. New York made almost no changes during the offseason with the exception of their young star centre back Miazga transferring to Chelsea. They replaced him with Gideon Baah, a Ghanian who was playing in Finland. Ouimette played because the other half of last year's CB duo Zubar was suspended. I won't judge Baah on one game but it looks like Ouimette might have a good chance to win the other starting CB position this year unless Baah really improves. Last year Ouimette was stuck behind Zubar and Miazga.

The thing I like about the Impact's Canadians this year is that even though none may be a regular starter/90 minute other than Bernier depending on how much age is catching up to him, all of AJH, Lefevre, Tissot and Bekker are legitimate MLS players, ie. not guys just filling the bench but guys that should see significant time and contribute when on the pitch.

Here is the goal

http://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2016-03-12-montreal-impact-vs-new-york-red-bulls/details/video/59499 

Archived