Canadians in MLS 2016 Season

Gian-Luca

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good first half for both.  Hamilton had the only two chances for the homegrowns.   Was set up nicely by Chapman on the second chance.    

2-0 Mexico at the half.  A score that reflects the fact that one side (Mexico) is a team while the other is mostly a collection of individual put together for a scrimmage.  No cohesion and familiarity from the home growns. 

Jay and Jordan combine for the only good scoring chance for MLS in the first half - Chapman has been the best player for the team, and Hamilton has looked good the few times he has been allowed to touch the ball. The wing play for MLS has been terrible, the experienced RSL players were poor and the Dallas keeper (who is actually Mexican) has let in two shots he should have saved - hopefully Crepeau will do better.

14 hours ago, Bison44 said:

The announcers specifically praised Chapman for the way he was playing, head up looking to make plays etc.  Lets see if Crepeau can play as well as the TFC boys in the second half.  

I watched the first half and noticed the same thing, but the two guys doing the broadcast, not sure who they were, seemed a little clueless. They spent so much time talking about who was born in Mexico and who was born in the US and where they play club and national team football.

Some additional Chapman analysis from mlssoccer.com here:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/07/27/armchair-analyst-scouting-three-chipotle-homegrown-game

I think the reason why the author was unaware of Chapman's long-range passing ability is probably because TFC never play him as a holding midfielder as he was in this game (although he was doing double duty in a way because he was also the most effective "no 10" on the field for the MLS team - not that this is saying much, mind you, given how poor most of his midfield teammates were).

I thought the commentators were actually fairly knowledgeable (even if I didn't agree with all of their opinions), I blame the "Mexico vs. US" thing on more of a US/Mexico soccer culture mindset, and one that they are not exclusive to - for example the Mexican team & coach stated in the press that they saw this game as an extension of the US vs. Mexico rivalry. Somewhat annoying given that there were 3 Canadians, two Haitians, one Mexican and (I think) 1 Honduran playing for the MLS team, which is over a quarter of the team, but at the same time understandable.

Larin played the last 15 minutes in the MLS all-star game (coming on for Giovinco who only came on to start the 2nd) and looked good for the 3 times he was allowed to touch the ball - made a great run and set up for Wondoloski, who blew his chance badly in his typical "can't score against non-MLS opposition" fashion. That would have been the winning goal, instead Arsenal scored late to win 2-1.

As an aside, have to say that I found it amazing that with all those strikers picked for the MLS all-stars, they somehow managed to play Giovinco alone up front as a target forward for his 35 minute appearance - would have liked to see him with Larin rather than Larin with Wondolowski.

"A native of Barking, London, England, Barnes scored seven goals in 12 appearances with England’s U-19s before deciding to represent Jamaica at the senior level as he was eligible through his paternal grandparents."

Less Jamaican than Whoregraves is English, had to go back 2 generations to qualify.

At 28 years old, 6'2" and 190 he's a like for like replacement for Rivero. At 700k he uses up our DP spot but still saves us 150k. We'll see how he does.

A team that doesn't play Canadians? Really? Are we back to that BS again? BORING. You mean except for all those listed at the11.ca? Like Aird (1014), Teibert (447), Froese (150), Adekugbe (111), Bustos (50), Davies (13). Not great totals but what would you have them do? Play injured players? Sign some more? Just did that with 2 that I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot more of.

6 hours ago, TRM said:

"A native of Barking, London, England, Barnes scored seven goals in 12 appearances with England’s U-19s before deciding to represent Jamaica at the senior level as he was eligible through his paternal grandparents."

Less Jamaican than Whoregraves is English, had to go back 2 generations to qualify.

At 28 years old, 6'2" and 190 he's a like for like replacement for Rivero. At 700k he uses up our DP spot but still saves us 150k. We'll see how he does.

A team that doesn't play Canadians? Really? Are we back to that BS again? BORING. You mean except for all those listed at the11.ca? Like Aird (1014), Teibert (447), Froese (150), Adekugbe (111), Bustos (50), Davies (13). Not great totals but what would you have them do? Play injured players? Sign some more? Just did that with 2 that I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot more of.

Horrible totals actually. Minute wise only 2 who have played more than 2 complete games.

Like I said not great totals but what would you have them do? Play injured players like Teibert & Aird? Conveniently you try to dodge that question. Those 2 were getting good minutes until they got injured. They've signed Edgar and MDJ and are working them into the the line up.

But nothing will ever be good enough for some people and you are obviously one of those. Have a nice day.

I'd cut Vancouver some slack if it wasn't such a consistent pattern.  They may have Canadians on their roster but they don't play them.  When there are actual minutes I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.  Until then lets take a look at the last 5 years as a track record.

2011:. 2,087 minutes 5.8%, last among Canadian teams

2012 133 minutes! 0.3%, last among Canadian teams

2013 1,867 minutes, 5.6%, last among Canadian teams

2014 2,209 minutes, 6.6%, last among Canadian teams

2015 2,228 minutes, 6.6%, last among Canadian teams

2016 YTD 1,809 minutes, 8.3%, last among Canadian teams

Ok yes I'm clearly being fair in my assessment.  

Except for the second year (after the total disaster that the first year was) they have gradually improved each year. Not as fast as I'd like but it is clearly a trend in the right direction. If they can get to 10% next year I'll be delighted and given our recent signing (and barring injuries) that should be attainable.

Yes they do play them. Have you forgotten the DC débâcle? Yes they have lots on the roster but name me the ones who've shown they can cut it at the MLS level? Sam, Alphonso, Russ & Fraser are consistent and at or near MLS level but 2 are injured, one still has 2 years of high school left and Sam has not been able to regain the LB spot yet because Harvey has been very consistent, durable and good.

Such is life in pro sports. It is a classic and continual "what have you done for me lately" business.

1 hour ago, TRM said:

Like I said not great totals but what would you have them do? Play injured players like Teibert & Aird? Conveniently you try to dodge that question. Those 2 were getting good minutes until they got injured. They've signed Edgar and MDJ and are working them into the the line up.

But nothing will ever be good enough for some people and you are obviously one of those. Have a nice day.

Not ignoring your point, just saying the defense of Vancouver's record of playing my Canadians is dismal.  When Vancouver is playing Canadians more than another Canadian team or playing 3+ players a game I'll start to give them credit.

The perception that the Whitecaps don't play Canadians will go away when they consistently play Canadians. It's that simple. 10% of minutes to Canadian players is a really low bar to set, and they still can't meet it in year 6. Given that the Whitecaps have had zero success in MLS while not playing Canadians it just adds to the frustration. And no, I don't count finishing second in the West and flaming out in the playoffs a success.

Signing Edgar and de Jong and Davies looks great on paper, but when the former 2 have been stapled to the bench thus far it is frustrating to see. You would have to think David Edgar is still a better option than Cole Seiler going forward. I guess we will see later today if that is the case.

That said, the injury situation really hurt the Canadian content on the Whitecaps this year. Teibert has been out most of the year, Aird for the last couple months. You can make a case that those two would have started the majority of the games had they been healthy. Adekugbe, Bustos and Froese are all depth players who haven't been able to get a shot with the players ahead of them. 

My original post also referred to who they are playing. If they aren't going to play Canadians then put out 11 Brazilians, Egyptians, or Chinese for all I care. As a Canadian soccer fan I don't like seeing a Canadian team playing a significant amount of our CONCACAF rival players every week. 

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

1) The perception that the Whitecaps don't play Canadians will go away when they consistently play Canadians. It's that simple.

2) 10% of minutes to Canadian players is a really low bar to set, and they still can't meet it in year 6.

3) Given that the Whitecaps have had zero success in MLS while not playing Canadians it just adds to the frustration. And no, I don't count finishing second in the West and flaming out in the playoffs a success.

4) Signing Edgar and de Jong and Davies looks great on paper, but when the former 2 have been stapled to the bench thus far it is frustrating to see. You would have to think David Edgar is still a better option than Cole Seiler going forward. I guess we will see later today if that is the case.

5) That said, the injury situation really hurt the Canadian content on the Whitecaps this year. Teibert has been out most of the year, Aird for the last couple months. You can make a case that those two would have started the majority of the games had they been healthy.

1) Perception is all it is. They are playing Canadians and the young are getting opportunities. The fact that not many can take and hold a starting MLS spot at their young age is no surprise to me.

2) Yes it is but it is better than the 8 last year or the 6 the 2 years before and going in the right direction. I'd be ecstatic if a Canadian could start every game. That alone would give us almost 10%. Then I'd be aiming for 15-20. Edgar & Aird are most likely to do that.

3) If 3rd in the entire league over a 34 game season isn't a success then you are impossible to please. The team they lost to in the first round of the playoffs went on to win the championship.

4) Edgar has looked good but MDJ looked rusty in the time they were on the field so expect Edgar to start before Marcel. Edgar may be used in Jacobsen's role with an eye on supporting the RB positon from midfield. We'll see today I hope. It takes time to get players worked into a team. Frustrating for us fans to be sure.

5) Yea that sucked. Just when I thought we'd finally found our first Canuck who could start almost every game at his position Aird gets injured. Without Gersh I was expecting Russ to lay claim to the "DM not named Laba role". Oh well, such is the nature of pro sport injuries. Hope they recover soon and fully. The good news is nobody at RB has played better than Aird and Russ's new competition is probably Edgar.

35 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

My original post also referred to who they are playing. If they aren't going to play Canadians then put out 11 Brazilians, Egyptians, or Chinese for all I care. As a Canadian soccer fan I don't like seeing a Canadian team playing a significant amount of our CONCACAF rival players every week. 

As a Canadian soccer fan I don't like seeing a Canadian team overpay players from our CONCACAF rivals (USA).

:)

Archived