Canadian Premier League

ted

3 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

Yes it is. I'd love to be a fly on the wall to know how all of this fits together, but alas. 

When Mont Vic mentions that they're copying some of the things that MLS has done well and when he mentions that CanSUM launched this week previous, it seems pretty obvious that CanPL and CanSUM go hand in hand and that the MLS influence is very strong there.

On a completely different note, I'm disappointed that CanPL and #CanPL have given way to CPL and #CPL. I like the former better. Oh well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

lol like hell they have #CanPL

I'll only stop using CanPL once it's been proven that we CAN lol

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

On a completely different note, I'm disappointed that CanPL and #CanPL have given way to CPL and #CPL. I like the former better. Oh well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Has it? You type #CPL into twitter and get a mess of stuff mostly cricket related.

33 minutes ago, Macksam said:

I wonder how Braley is going to sell the Lions now. "Hey, you want to buy into being potentially liable to a hefty chunk of a $200 million lawsuit? C'mon,  I swear, it's not as bad as it looks,"

Only way someone would buy the BC Lions is if they were sports geeks, millionaires and wanted a tax write off. Im pretty sure Toronto, BC and Montreal haven't turned a profit in a long long time. 

2 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Only way someone would buy the BC Lions is if they were sports geeks, millionaires and wanted a tax write off. Im pretty sure Toronto, BC and Montreal haven't turned a profit in a long long time. 

Based on what? CFL finances are not public as far as know. I would suspect you're right about the Argos but Montreal and BC have the longest serving owners in the CFL respectively and there's been no rumours of impending sales so I would speculate they're relatively happy with their investments. On top of that the current TV deal with TSN, the continued growth of the Grey Cup until last year and new league wide deals like the Adidas one means there's a fair amount of revenue coming from league sources.

1) Montreal - Larry Smith was frank that with McGill stadium at capacity (20,000) fans they couldn't make a profit. So they expanded to 25,000 and I dont think they sold it out once - they cant get over the 20,000 hump.

2) Toronto - There is no one at the games Im jusy guessing but assume you cant make a profit if you don't sell tickets.

3) BC - They had the 3rd lowest attendance in the CFL (behind TOR and MTL). Im just assuming if Montreal can make money with 20,000 then BC cant make money with 21,000 (announced). My reasoning is BC place likely costs more then Mcgill to rent. Also I seen some Lions games where the attendance was announced at '20,000' looked more like 10.

43 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Based on what? CFL finances are not public as far as know. I would suspect you're right about the Argos but Montreal and BC have the longest serving owners in the CFL respectively and there's been no rumours of impending sales so I would speculate they're relatively happy with their investments. On top of that the current TV deal with TSN, the continued growth of the Grey Cup until last year and new league wide deals like the Adidas one means there's a fair amount of revenue coming from league sources.

An article came out in the Province Newspaper months ago stating that David Braley is shopping the BC Lions around local buyers and nobody has stepped up to the plate for a serious offer.  Its not because David Braley hates the Lions, its because he's getting old and his family doesn't want anything to do with the club finances.  Since Braley bought the Lions, he improved the product and at one time the Lions averaged 30-35K at BC Place, during the early 2000's, but after Wally Buono retired as coach the last 5 years, and the Lions became uncompetitive attendance dwindled to 18-20K nowadays.  The TSN deal that the CFL has is whats keeping the Lions and Argos afloat, but now with this lawsuit, I doubt anybody locally wants to buy the team, unless the province sells BC Place Stadium with the team, which is unlikely.

3 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

An article came out in the Province Newspaper months ago stating that David Braley is shopping the BC Lions around local buyers and nobody has stepped up to the plate for a serious offer.  Its not because David Braley hates the Lions, its because he's getting old and his family doesn't want anything to do with the club finances.  Since Braley bought the Lions, he improved the product and at one time the Lions averaged 30-35K at BC Place, during the early 2000's, but after Wally Buono retired as coach the last 5 years, and the Lions became uncompetitive attendance dwindled to 18-20K nowadays.  The TSN deal that the CFL has is whats keeping the Lions and Argos afloat, but now with this lawsuit, I doubt anybody locally wants to buy the team, unless the province sells BC Place Stadium with the team, which is unlikely.

Thanks for your input.

Did you ever find those sources stating that WC revenue and advertising is on the decline?

10 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Thanks for your input.

Did you ever find those sources stating that WC revenue and advertising is on the decline?

Actually it was an article on O Globo and Ole Argentina.  Haven't forgotten, trying to find it, but its based on the 2014 World Cup attendances that Brasil heavily discounted the tickets for other games and the CBF didn't make much money on TV and advertising like they expected., which also affects FIFA, also in the 2014 World Cup TV rights, several Central American and some South American broadcasters didn't pay the FIFA bill to broadcast it.  It wasn't in the official FIFA revenue, which I'm sure tour alluding too, which is sketchy accounting IMO and always shows FIFA profits when newspapers and other sources state the contrary.

edit:  regarding the Lions, here's your link

https://www.google.ca/amp/theprovince.com/sports/football/cfl/b-c-lions-owner-david-braley-says-the-team-has-to-be-sold/amp

You could've easily found it on Google if you typed Lions and sale ;)

Why do I get a feeling that Anthony Totera just gave a hint on the cities expected to join the CPL. He has been invited as the only news podcaster to sit at the CSA vote of May-6. I have been informed that Totera has been binded by a confidentiality agreement not to say very much or expose direct infos. 

15 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

Actually it was an article on O Globo and Ole Argentina.  Haven't forgotten, trying to find it, but its based on the 2014 World Cup attendances that Brasil heavily discounted the tickets for other games and the CBF didn't make much money on TV and advertising like they expected., which also affects FIFA, also in the 2014 World Cup TV rights, several Central American and some South American broadcasters didn't pay the FIFA bill to broadcast it.  It wasn't in the official FIFA revenue, which I'm sure tour alluding too, which is sketchy accounting IMO and always shows FIFA profits when newspapers and other sources state the contrary.

edit:  regarding the Lions, here's your link

https://www.google.ca/amp/theprovince.com/sports/football/cfl/b-c-lions-owner-david-braley-says-the-team-has-to-be-sold/amp

You could've easily found it on Google if you typed Lions and sale ;)

Seeing is FIFA's finances are heavily scrutinized now because of all the corruption charges I would be surprised if someone within the organization is still willing to cook the books. As far as all the stuff about the CBF and some central American countries not paying FIFA to broadcast it's not relevant. FIFA still posted increases in revenue and advertising from 2006 to 2010 and from 2010 to 2014. We don't have access to any other information so anything else is speculation.

As far as the Lions, that article says nothing about the teams finances, in fact Braley says they have multiple interested parties and that there are groups who are kicking themselves for not buying the team when he did. 

Edit: I did say that there was no rumours of pending sales but to be fair the article you posted is from less than two weeks ago, and from a local paper. Apologies for not being up to date.

11 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Seeing is FIFA's finances are heavily scrutinized now because of all the corruption charges I would be surprised if someone within the organization is still willing to cook the books. As far as all the stuff about the CBF and some central American countries not paying FIFA to broadcast it's not relevant. FIFA still posted increases in revenue and advertising from 2006 to 2010 and from 2010 to 2014. We don't have access to any other information so anything else is speculation.

As far as the Lions, that article says nothing about the teams finances, in fact Braley says they have multiple interested parties and that there are groups who are kicking themselves for not buying the team when he did. 

Here's another article from the province 2 months ago based on that you don't need hard figures to see the Lions revenue has decreased over the years.  Braley invested millions in the BC Lions and doubt he broke even, even though the Lions are in better financial shape than they were when he bought it.

https://www.google.ca/amp/theprovince.com/sports/football/cfl/bc-lions/ed-willes-canucks-owners-kick-the-tires-on-the-b-c-lions/amp

Not all CFL owners are in great financial shape like they'd like us to know.  I'm sure if David Braley were younger, he would've invested in the MLS Whitecaps.  When the Caps were struggling financially in the USL in the late 90's - early 2000's, David Braley stepped in and helped the team and sold it to Kerfoot afterwards.  He's the kind of philantropist that Canada needs for any league that needs money to kickoff

11 hours ago, Pat Carrasco said:

Why do I get a feeling that Anthony Totera just gave a hint on the cities expected to join the CPL. He has been invited as the only news podcaster to sit at the CSA vote of May-6. I have been informed that Totera has been binded by a confidentiality agreement not to say very much or expose direct infos.

So what you are saying is that you were/he was bound to secrecy but went ahead and gave the information out anyway, or are you just adding that as click bait?

As far as the viability of the Lions, nearly every CFL team "break even" is around 20,000

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/cfl/tv-deal-keeps-cfl-afloat-as-league-suffers-from-diminished-ratings-alarming-attendance-figures-in-some-markets

“The TV contract … TSN has done a great job. Too good a job,” Buono said. “And we get compensated for it.”

The TSN’s $40 million a year all but covers each team’s $5 million salary cap, leaving gate receipts, sponsorships, advertising and in-stadium revenues to pay for training camp (often subsidized by a host community), staff, travel, scouting, rent, etc.

If a team draws 20,000 per game nine times, at an average ticket price of, say, $60, that’s $10.8 million from ticket sales. If the average price is $40, that still $7.2 million at the gate alone, before any other revenue is counted.

So it’s true, as Skulsky said: “The sky is not falling.”

and also before potential playoff revenue, or Grey Cup revenue (if you are hosting that year). Either way though, it's irrelevant to the CanPL discussion.

Braley isn't going to be a buyer, he's getting out of the game because he's getting older and wants the team sold and left in good hands before he departs. He's doing to smart thing, which didn't happen in Buffalo and could have been an unmitigated disaster for the Bills if Pegula didn't step up to the plate.

The CanPL Should use a Apertura/Clasura calendar(Spring/Fall Seasons)

Spring season would start in start in February and end in June ( Spring season playoffs would start in late may and ends early June) may have schedule conflicts with Canadian Championship 

then the fall season starts August and ends December ( fall Season playoffs start In Late November ends in early December)  

Champions of the Amyway Canadian championship and the CanPL Spring &  fall Champions go to CCL 

January & July would be the offseason 

13 minutes ago, DannyFromToronto23 said:

The CanPL Should use a Apertura/Clasura calendar(Spring/Fall Seasons)

Spring season would start in start in February and end in June ( Spring season playoffs would start in late may and ends early June) may have schedule conflicts with Canadian Championship 

then the fall season starts August and ends December ( fall Season playoffs start In Late November ends in early December)  

Champions of the Amyway Canadian championship and the CanPL Spring &  fall Champions go to CCL 

January & July would be the offseason 

64228468.jpg

35 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

So you envisage having games played outdoors in February in Winnipeg and Calgary? Hope they have good undersoil heating systems installed at wherever the games would be played.

We'd probably be the only pro soccer league in history to be bankrupted on account of our heating bill.

Archived