Canadian Premier League

ted

Totera is Don Cherry.  Not my cup of tea but whatever.  But to summarily dismiss him as a clown or crackpot is wrong.  If the mainstream viewed him this way then he wouldn't be able to get the guests he does for his show.  

Honestly don't know the context  but fairly sure he wouldn't run for the presidency of the league.  It'll be a hired position for a private company/conglomerate.  

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

..and the key was the SSS rather than using over-sized gridiron football stadia. Meanwhile in Canada in 2017, the thought still seems to be that using CFL stadia that will only be 20% full on a good day is the best way to go. Lessons learned?

Last time I checked, it's still a work in progress in MLS as well. Some of their teams still play in such stadiums

4 minutes ago, Kent said:

So, the conclusion: While Canada was talking about going it alone, the CSA always knew deep down that it wasn’t going to do that.

...and in a similar sort of way it remains to be seen what they always knew deep down about the process of launching a domestic pro league. They probably are going to be using MLS stadia in Toronto, Montreal (the Big O is sometimes used by the Impact) and Vancouver for many/most/all of the 10 games, so how does this all get spun over the next decade or so into being all about boosting the profile of a league called the CPL, if the Saputos, MLSE and Greg Kerfoot are playing a big role in the local hosting committees and MLS is still getting most of the limited mainstream media attention where domestic pro soccer is concerned?  At some point  all the rhetoric about having a D1 domestic pro league is going to enter into a head-on collision with reality in the same way the solo bid did.

What's up everyone? I see the CPL is on the list of topics for the next meeting officially and that BBTB said something and everyone got pissed and some folks are still on Totz. 

Also come on Ansem. You know this statement is bull shit in every way

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

I found this very interesting list of strongest leagues in CONCACAF. I'd put Primera division higher than MLS but he's going with maths. It's good to see that CPL will be top 5 with nowhere else to go but up!

2 minutes ago, matty said:

Also come on Ansem. You know this statement is bull shit in every way

I stand by it. The quality is better and I'm not talking finances or star power, strictly quality of play. Have you watched them?

1 minute ago, matty said:

Briefly but I can say you have 3 teams on par with MLS team and then a massive drop. MLS is way better

Wow, you and I will have to agree to disagree on this one. If CPL had to choose a style of play, I'd take Costa Rica any day of the week

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

Wow, you and I will have to agree to disagree on this one. If CPL had to choose a style of play, I'd take Costa Rica any day of the week

That's fine. But I know it's mainly cause you don't like the US system and not because MLS is inferior because it isn't

Just now, matty said:

That's fine. But I know it's mainly cause you don't like the US system and not because MLS is inferior because it isn't

Regardless of my opinion of the US and their leagues, n the pitch, Costa Rican clubs plays a better type of quality soccer than MLS clubs. That's my opinion

Just now, Ansem said:

Regardless of my opinion of the US and their leagues, n the pitch, Costa Rican clubs plays a better type of quality soccer than MLS clubs. That's my opinion

Whatever man, I don't really care enough to get into this too much. Have your opinion.

12 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Probably the best thing CPL could do is not adopt the MLS style of play right from the beginning.  Which is gonna be tough since MLS is basically a reflection of how kids learn in US/Canada to play...kind of one dimensional in attacking...just lobbing balls from defense to forwards/push ball out to the wings and then cross it in.

10 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Probably the best thing CPL could do is not adopt the MLS style of play right from the beginning.  Which is gonna be tough since MLS is basically a reflection of how kids learn in US/Canada to play...kind of one dimensional in attacking...just lobbing balls from defense to forwards/push ball out to the wings and then cross it in.

I'm not saying that this style of soccer can't work, but it doesn't provide the best show on for spectators. It gets old watching your clubs chasing after the ball the whole game and betting everything on lobbing the ball forward and counter attacking. In CCL matches, it's really obvious and there's no beating Mexicans with that style of play, they figure it out a long time ago.

14 hours ago, DannyFromToronto23 said:

Toronto 5 

Vancouver 3 

Edmonton and Montreal 1 each 

Nope. No way they do one-off venues. Too much money and time to set up that they would host only one game. 3-3-4 makes the most sense.

3 hours ago, PJSweet said:

Shame on all of yous who have come on this forum and trash talk Anthony Totera.

LOL, well I was teasing him for a stupid mistake but c'mon, he doesn't get a free pass because he is covering soccer.

3 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Bit of a stretch as even Duane Rollins has talked in terms of three CFL ownership groups in Hamilton, Ottawa and Calgary being involved with True North being mentioned instead in Winnipeg on podcasts from what I remember, so it's almost certainly not a collective CFL thing and hence something for them to be arguing about? This bit was news to me and suggests a possible source of discord as some may want to fight it, while others might want to reach a settlement:

The CFL is facing a $200-million class action lawsuit filed in Ontario Superior Court in May 2016 by former players Korey Banks and Eric Allen.

Have always been skeptical that something like an imminent pro soccer announcement could be hushed up somewhere like Calgary and Winnipeg, but I recently was told inside info about something that's happening at a lower division club in Scotland and it's mind boggling that it hasn't hit the newspapers yet or been posted about obsessively online because lots of people (as in several dozen at a minimum) are already in the know about it and not just at the club in question, so willing to admit I could be wrong on what could stay under wraps in the present day in a Canadian context given people don't take their soccer quite as seriously as they do in Scotland.

9 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Have seen how sky high people can get in the past only to be let down big time. Solo World Cup hosting bid to 10 games before the quarter finals is a typical CSA sort of trajectory.

If people get sky high, that is their fault. The CSA hasn't done anything to lead us on.

So guessing a timeline here assuming the 2018 mini season is the goal

May 2017 - Finalised with CSA
June 2017 - Proper announcement happens in Hamilton (the HQ it seems) with members of all parties involved. They give a debut season dates (August-October 2018), cities and owners, other random details.
July to August 2017 - Go pretty quiet only light news comes out, team naming contests happen
September 2017 - More serious business news happens like jersey makes, kit sponsors and what media they're using. Also partnerships with L1O and PLSQ to practice reserve players.
October and November 2017 - Coaches and GMs are hire and introduced
Decemeber 2017 - Team names and jerseys come out, first Canadian signings happen (mostly with MLS, NASL and USL guys)
January 2018 - Early signing continue with more Americans from MLS, NASL and NCAA signing up along with more Canadians. Higher profile players are also signed.
February to April 2018 - Random signings. Season ticket sales start and promoted with CanMNT players and higher profile players as central to advertising.
May to June 2018 - More signing but more focused on Latin and Euro players. CFL teams with CPL links push the CPL hard at games.
June to July 2018 - World Cup happens. TSN uses this to promote the CPL on TSN Go or something. CPL teams also start doing a ton outreach and promotion.
Late July to mid August 2018 - Teams have their camps and stronger CIS, L1O and PLSQ players have their tryouts. Teams also play friendlies with CIS, L1O and PLSQ sides as warm up.
August to October 2018 - 10 to 12 game season.

Note: Players who sign with the league in the 2017/18 winter are loaned out until May 2018.

Archived