Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, matty said:

Go silent because once they say something larson is going to write an article and everyone will know and the announcement loses it's luster.

Agree to disagree I guess.  Larson has already written about it with the Manning quotes.  Small stories here and there no matter the source aren't going to derail or impact the big launch/announcement when it happens in my opinion.

1 hour ago, matty said:

Go silent because once they say something larson is going to write an article and everyone will know and the announcement loses it's luster.

I wouldn't be worried about this. How many days in advance did we know there was going to be a press conference with the CSA, USSF, and FMF, and we all knew it was going to be announcing a joint World Cup bid. Do you think that deterred people from watching the conference, or did it bring more viewers. Of course it brought more viewers. If there is complete silence and then all of a sudden there is a news conference that nobody (outside of the press) knows about, why is that a good thing? People might happen upon the information by accident if it makes it on to sportscentre or something, but there is no harm in an announcement of an impending announcement.

Even when you look at this May meeting news. It first came out a couple weeks ago in Halifax, then a week or two later Totera mentions it and it gets picked up by people on this thread (where it had already been mentioned) and on sites like Waking The Red. The more talk about CPL the better!

41 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

what is this SUM you speak of?

This was the entity that controlled (maybe still controls) WC television rights in the United States. They leverage(d) the money from that to bankroll the MLS if I recall correctly.

6 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

so essentially CPL would have MLS marketing money behind it?

I'm not even sure how to feel about that.

Rob said that in the interview he said it was a Canadian equivalent to MLS's SUM, so it isn't MLS money.

42 minutes ago, Kent said:

I wouldn't be worried about this. How many days in advance did we know there was going to be a press conference with the CSA, USSF, and FMF, and we all knew it was going to be announcing a joint World Cup bid. Do you think that deterred people from watching the conference, or did it bring more viewers. Of course it brought more viewers. If there is complete silence and then all of a sudden there is a news conference that nobody (outside of the press) knows about, why is that a good thing? People might happen upon the information by accident if it makes it on to sportscentre or something, but there is no harm in an announcement of an impending announcement.

Even when you look at this May meeting news. It first came out a couple weeks ago in Halifax, then a week or two later Totera mentions it and it gets picked up by people on this thread (where it had already been mentioned) and on sites like Waking The Red. The more talk about CPL the better!

It wouldn't deter people from watching (if it's somewhere people will actually watch) but it changes the way the media will respond to it. A leak of the sanctioning status would be picked up by the sun, tje spec and other noted outlets and make the formal announcement less impactful. Totz tweeting "boom the cpl is born" ultimately is whay breaks the story instead of the league itself breaking the story. Major media would treat the actual announcement as less breaking news and more something that happened. A one page article becomes a 6 inch article.

Hinting at the announcement like they did with the world cup is fine (partly cause the csa tease it themselves) but someone like totz letting out the sanctioning or all details from the meeting essentially deflates that story for the csa and cpl.

43 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Rob said that in the interview he said it was a Canadian equivalent to MLS's SUM, so it isn't MLS money.

I still don't really understand what it means.  Like it's a seperate group from CPL, sort of... okay.. but who would these people be and why would it be significant.  

just not quite connecting the dots yet.

15 minutes ago, matty said:

It wouldn't deter people from watching but it changes the way the media will respond to it. A leak of the sanctioning status would be picked up by the sun, tje spec and other noted outlets and make the formal announcement less impactful. Totz tweeting "boom the cpl is born" ultimately is whay breaks the story instead of the league itself breaking the story. Major media would treat the actual announcement as less breaking news and more something that happened. A one page article becomes a 6 inch article.

Hinting at the announcement like they did with the world cup is fine (partly cause the csa tease it themselves) but someone like totz letting out the sanctioning or all details from the meeting essentially deflates that story for the csa and cpl.

I still think you're overthinking it no offense Matty.  Who's to say if Rollins or Totera get the scoop that Molinaro or Larson or Sandor, etc aren't going to get it at the same time and all tweet about it around the same time.  The launch of the league is a big deal and it's going to be covered no matter what's leaked out and far in advance.  And like I said the official sanctioning is really just a rubber stamp.  An important step but really something minor in the grand scheme of it all.

4 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

I still don't really understand what it means.  Like it's a seperate group from CPL, sort of... okay.. but who would these people be and why would it be significant.  

Sorry working but https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soccer_United_Marketing  

It's just the Canadian equivalent to maximize the marketing for what I assume would be (but not limited to) CPL, CSA, the National Teams, Voyageurs Cup, etc...

20 minutes ago, Rheo said:

I still think you're overthinking it no offense Matty.  Who's to say if Rollins or Totera get the scoop that Molinaro or Larson or Sandor, etc aren't going to get it at the same time and all tweet about it around the same time.  The launch of the league is a big deal and it's going to be covered no matter what's leaked out and far in advance.  And like I said the official sanctioning is really just a rubber stamp.  An important step but really something minor in the grand scheme of it all.

Agree to disagree like you said. The launch will be covered but it's a matter of how it is covered. While sanctioning is just a stamp the announcement of it can seriously deflate the proper announcement with the media. Anyone who knows about the stamp should treat is as a nonstory.

25 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Mont Vic explains it on a interview with Tony Marinaro of TSN690 radio a couple of days ago.

3 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

I'm surprised no one has said anything about this (at least I have not seen anything) but I finally got around to listening to Mont Vic's interview on TSN Montreal Radio last night and he mentioned that the Canadian version of SUM was launched at the start of this week. As with everything else, there were no real details offered and the interviewer didn't really pick up on the topic as he focused mostly on the WC bid and a bit on CanPL. But I'm fairly suspicious about what this means for the league and the league's ability to attract investors who will be willing to stay the course. (Perhaps suspicious is the wrong word here ... curious maybe). SUM in the US is such a black box. I've seen almost no real information about how it operates or how profitable it is, but I suspect that if their finances were to be disclosed, and this information were to be combined with the financial information from MLS teams that the picture of MLS teams' profitability would suddenly get a whole lot rosier. Simply put, I think there's a very big story hiding behind that off-hand remark, and it doesn't appear that anyone is on it, although to be fair almost no one is on the CanPL story either.

The thing with SUM, is that they are operating in a much different context than here in Canada, so I don't think it would be at all accurate to suggest that CanSUM would have the opportunity to be as profitable (assuming that SUM is profitable ... I have no information to back this up, just my own suspicions). On the other hand, I can see why the prospect of being involved in CanSUM could be enticing to a would be investor. If it's operating similarly to SUM in that all CanPL team owners would also own shares in CanSUM, what they are getting is a (potential) monopoly over broadcasting in what is a (mostly) untapped and emerging soccer market in Canada. Perhaps that opportunity is one in which the right investor would see a lot of potential.

I'm not sure how I listened to that interview but completely missed that...were there any details other than "it exists"? I must have tuned out at that part

36 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

I'm not sure how I listened to that interview but completely missed that...were there any details other than "it exists"? I must have tuned out at that part

No, there was no other info other than 'we launched that earlier in the week' or something to that effect. So it would have been easy to miss. 

I'm speculating, but I think when we are talking about CanPL finances we can't discount how much of a role CanSUM might play. Ticket sales, merch, food & beverage sales, corporate sponsors, TV deal ... and CanSUM. I'd be very curious what role it might play in financing the league. 

1 hour ago, rob.notenboom said:

No, there was no other info other than 'we launched that earlier in the week' or something to that effect. So it would have been easy to miss. 

I'm speculating, but I think when we are talking about CanPL finances we can't discount how much of a role CanSUM might play. Ticket sales, merch, food & beverage sales, corporate sponsors, TV deal ... and CanSUM. I'd be very curious what role it might play in financing the league. 

I agree. For MLS, SUM was a big part of what was keeping them afloat through the lean years.

11 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

...I'm speculating, but I think when we are talking about CanPL finances we can't discount how much of a role CanSUM might play...

Was there not something mentioned a few months back about them doing a  Canadian version of SUM with MLS and did Boom sources himself (I can't believe I am doing this, but even a broken clock gets the time right occasionally) not tell us that the CSA were meeting MLS last week to discuss all things Canadians? Worth bearing in mind that the CSA are now working very closely with the USSF on a WC 2026 bid that is highly likely to succeed, rather than a rival solo bid.

7 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Was there not something mentioned a few months back about them doing a  Canadian version of SUM with MLS and did Boom sources himself (I can't believe I am doing this, but even a broken clock gets the time right occasionally) not tell us that the CSA were meeting MLS last week to discuss all things Canadians? Worth bearing in mind that the CSA are now working very closely with the USSF on a WC 2026 bid that is highly likely to succeed, rather than a rival solo bid.

Yes I'd be surprised if there wasn't some kind of collaboration there between SUM & CanSUM. SUM is so secret though that it's very difficult to find information. So even when CanPL launches, I suspect we won't know how much profits from CanSUM will be helping the bottom line. 

But if we see Canada host a pre-season friendly tournament for Euro teams over the next couple years, we will be able to guess what entity is behind it. 

6 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

"you're better off doing it yourself than getting some third party to do it for you"

interesting

Yes it is. I'd love to be a fly on the wall to know how all of this fits together, but alas. 

When Mont Vic mentions that they're copying some of the things that MLS has done well and when he mentions that CanSUM launched this week previous, it seems pretty obvious that CanPL and CanSUM go hand in hand and that the MLS influence is very strong there.

On a completely different note, I'm disappointed that CanPL and #CanPL have given way to CPL and #CPL. I like the former better. Oh well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Archived