Canadian Premier League

ted

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Hardly surprising given where Victor Montagliani is from. There will be a formal bidding process, so nothing will have been decided yet. That was just my guess for which two will win out in the end.

You have to think MLSE, Kerfoot and Saputo are all going to be involved with their respective city's bids. Let's not kid ourselves. We know who MLSE is and they will leverage this thing for stadium improvements or a brand new one without a doubt.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

If TFC and the Argos can do it at one facility where both have television fixtures to fulfill, then there is no reason when the Wolfpack and a CPL club couldn't do the same. 

Yea, I always thought that the Wolf pack being the primary tenant would block and future cpl team talk was all bs. 

Just doesn't make sense. 

All in all, the city, the Wolfpack, and a new CPL team could all benefit from multiple teams playing at Lamport as both teams could share the bill for renovation costs which could come in from stadium sponsorships.

18 hours ago, Rheo said:

Just saying most pods have the people coming through both sides so I can listen with one earphone in.  You guys and your damn cutting edge technology kept one in each side.  Curses foiled again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For some reason Come On You Reds Podcast with Terry Dunfield has different voices in different ears. Sounds cool in the car but wouldn't work with one headphone ear in.

11 hours ago, masster said:

Did you watch the press conference? According to reporters, Vancouver was mentioned numerous times.

I watched the press conference. They said that cities haven't been decided yet, but the only Canadian city they mentioned was Vancouver, and they mentioned it twice (both times it was Sunil Gulati that mentioned it, never Vic). One of the examples they gave was clustering cities together to reduce travel, like having Seattle, Portland (I can't recall if they actually said Portland), and Vancouver in the pacific northwest, and southern California cities clustered with Guadalajara.

After having watched the press conference, I would speculate that Vancouver is the most likely Canadian city to get games. It makes sense too, with the strong support the city gave for the last World Cup Qualifiers, and the size of the stadium is already where it needs to be. I imagine putting grass at BC place would be easier than fixing the Big O.

3 minutes ago, Kent said:

I watched the press conference. They said that cities haven't been decided yet, but the only Canadian city they mentioned was Vancouver, and they mentioned it twice (both times it was Sunil Gulati that mentioned it, never Vic). One of the examples they gave was clustering cities together to reduce travel, like having Seattle, Portland (I can't recall if they actually said Portland), and Vancouver in the pacific northwest, and southern California cities clustered with Guadalajara.

After having watched the press conference, I would speculate that Vancouver is the most likely Canadian city to get games. It makes sense too, with the strong support the city gave for the last World Cup Qualifiers, and the size of the stadium is already where it needs to be. I imagine putting grass at BC place would be easier than fixing the Big O.

Vic Montagliani:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/jeff-blair-show/getting-clarification-north-american-fifa-world-cup-bid/

Cities will have to bid to host a game and it sounded like it might not even be CSA that decides but CONCACAF

6 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

He said it was a committee comprised of representatives from the CSA, USSF, the Mexican federation and CONCACAF that decides jointly who the host cities will be and that the CSA doesn't get to decide unilaterally what happens in Canada.

Interesting. I wonder in what scenarios any of those federations would go against the CSA's wishes. Perhaps this is just guarding against something insane like if the CSA wanted to make Charlottetown a host city (sorry dyslexic nam).

7 minutes ago, Kent said:

Interesting. I wonder in what scenarios any of those federations would go against the CSA's wishes. Perhaps this is just guarding against something insane like if the CSA wanted to make Charlottetown a host city (sorry dyslexic nam).

Could also see pushback if Canada wanted to spread 10 games over 5+ venues. 

Think it also would be about how best to coordinate things. If USSF is keen to use San Diego heavily, you probably don't need Tijuana. That's where I think Vancouver could have a problem given how close it is to Seattle, although obviously the reverse of that could also hold. Montagliani seemed to be saying albeit in response to a leading question that one in the east and one in the west would probably be the way to go with two Canadian host cities given how they could then be clustered with American cities that lie in the same timezone up and down each coast.

3 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

If TFC and the Argos can do it at one facility where both have television fixtures to fulfill, then there is no reason when the Wolfpack and a CPL club couldn't do the same. 

I get the logic but the situation is too different to make the comparison

12 hours ago, BradMack said:

This is not new news... Paul Beirne said that at the Halifax information session....

And maybe somebody should point out to Mr Totera that putting out his "news" on the same day that the WC bid was announced is the stupidest, most amateur plan in the history of sports journalism. Even this thread got totally hijacked by bid talk.

TOTERA: I haz big newz!

CANADA: STFU, we are only getting 10 games!!!!!

4 minutes ago, ted said:

And maybe somebody should point out to Mr Totera that putting out his "news" on the same day that the WC bid was announced is the stupidest, most amateur plan in the history of sports journalism. Even this thread got totally hijacked by bid talk.

TOTERA: I haz big newz!

CANADA: STFU, we are only getting 10 games!!!!!

Totera = 

On 10/04/2017 at 9:52 AM, dyslexic nam said:

I don't equate pro-rel as necessary to not half-ass it.  The strongest non-footy leagues in the world are the NBA, NHL, NFL, and NL/AM for baseball.  None of them operate on a pro-rel basis and they seem to do fairly well.  The idea that "real" footy must be built on a pro-rel foundation is something I have never really understood.

Yes, it is done in Europe.

No, we are not in Europe.

Just because we are looking to establish a footy league does not mean that it must be modelled after the European structure.

I agree that promotion/relegation isn't necessary to have a professional league, but for different reasons.

Promotion/relegation is done in places other than Europe, but I don't think it would ever work in Canada, but I don't think that American sports (NBA, NHL (run by Americans), NFL (not a real sport anyway), NL/AM) have anything to do with it.  Those leagues do fairly well because that's what's popular in America.

We don't have long-established clubs in Canada that are supported by people who bleed their teams' colours.  If a fairly well-supported team in Canada was relegated, a pretty big percentage of the team's fan base wouldn't really understand what was going on and would turn to another team or worse yet, another sport.  

The geography of this country also makes promotion/relegation difficult.  Other countries with fairly new leagues can pull this off just because it's still possible to operate teams in a lower division that encompasses the entire country.

14 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Paul Beirne is the person to listen to and will give you the straight goods to the extent he can. Anthony Totera shouldn't be taken seriously as he is using this issue to publicize his podcast as much as anything else and probably isn't in the loop to any huge extent judging by how often he has been flat out wrong. If they need Edmonton and Ottawa for the so called soft launch I doubt it's happening until 2019 at the earliest.

Totera is exuberant, way over the top, and exaggerates to the extreme...but what are the instances that he has been flat out wrong?

1 hour ago, masster said:

Totera is exuberant, way over the top, and exaggerates to the extreme...but what are the instances that he has been flat out wrong?

His exaggerations have hurt him badly (16 cities interested wasn't news) and his twitter stunts, endless teasing of info make him hard to take seriously. He's basically Canadian soccer's Alex Jones and it makes his "announcements" unimportant. He also has no filter and unlike Rollins seems fine reporting gossip as gospel even if it's a single, non-official source.

7 minutes ago, matty said:

His exaggerations have hurt him badly (16 cities interested wasn't news) and his twitter stunts, endless teasing of info make him hard to take seriously. He's basically Canadian soccer's Alex Jones and it makes his "announcements" unimportant. He also has no filter and unlike Rollins seems fine reporting gossip as gospel even if it's a single, non-official source.

Ok. This isn't directed at you, but what are the numerous examples in which he has been flat out wrong?

Just now, masster said:

Ok. This isn't directed at you, but what are the numerous examples in which he has been flat out wrong?

"Days away" is the big one. I wouldn't call that him making shit up (rather him dreaming on twitter) but I see why people took issue with it.

2 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

whats the stadium situation?

Investor's group expands to 40k. It also hosted wwc games and will be 8 years~ into cpl if reports are true. While smaller it is more up to date.

If the goal is to have a 4th city for group stages a smaller stadium which is newer could get tje nod.

But really what's sexier? Edmonton or Winnipeg

Archived