Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

On the first point they are already going to be converting it for USL to meet USSF D2 sanctioning standards, and on the second the Ticats don't want that because they are used to playing the Argos as equals and it looks like the two ownership groups are meeting to see if there is a way they can co-exist within the the new league that emerges. There is no league at this point. Nothing has been sanctioned by the CSA as far as I am aware.

You know that you've officially entered the realm of "trolling" and you're killing this thread with your fantasies, non-sense scenarios and crazy hypothesis you call fact.

Just go create a CPL thread for skeptics and let us go back to positive talks about the league

7 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

On the first point they are already going to be converting it for USL to meet USSF D2 sanctioning standards, and on the second the Ticats don't want that because they are used to playing the Argos as equals and it looks like the two ownership groups are meeting to see if there is a way they can co-exist within the the new league that emerges. There is no league at this point. Nothing has been sanctioned by the CSA as far as I am aware.

You are creating a narrative that has little substance.

Yes TFC want in but those currently involve reportedly do not want to be viewed as a minor league and everyone, but tfc, seems to think them coming on board would make the league look tiny if they threw a u23 team in. You've had rossi, tots and rollins say not likely and larson call it a move that would give the league a minor league feel. Also vic has said this will be like nothing canada has had before.

They are currently meeting and right now it's more likely to find a way tfc can be involved without owning a team.

3 minutes ago, matty said:

You are creating a narrative that has little substance.

Yes TFC want in but those currently involve reportedly do not want to be viewed as a minor league and everyone, but tfc, seems to think them coming on board would make the league look tiny if they threw a u23 team in.

They are currently meeting and right now it's more likely to find a way tfc can be involved without owning a team.

Exactly. Being co-owners or being part of a CPL ownership as minority partners with no say on team management would work and avoid a very obvious conflict of interest for both leagues.

18 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

You get new post alerts for this thread? That takes self flagellation to a whole new level. ?

Nah I just leave it open while I'm working and it tells me there's new posts.  No refreshing needed. I'm lame but not that lame :)

21 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

You get new post alerts for this thread? That takes self flagellation to a whole new level. ?

I think I'm gonna start posting the spotify playlists i make here so people can have a daily soundtrack to this madness

2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Exactly. Being co-owners or being part of a CPL ownership as minority partners with no say on team management would work and avoid a very obvious conflict of interest for both leagues.

...but that doesn't appear to be what TFC have in mind and both groups are still taking the time to meet for whatever reason:

“I’m OK with (our possible CPL team) not being called TFC II, but it’s still going to be the same thing,” Manning said.

If I'm pointing anything out at this stage, it's that events are not unfolding according to the Rollins/Totera narrative, both of whom have gone very quiet about things of late. I was genuinely shocked that there was no CPL sanctioning announcement in December and instead we got told by Victor Montagliani that the league doesn't even have a name yet on the MLS website of all places. Even by the standards of Canadian pro soccer that was an unexpected twist.

33 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

...but that doesn't appear to be what TFC have in mind and both groups are still taking the time to meet for whatever reason:

“I’m OK with (our possible CPL team) not being called TFC II, but it’s still going to be the same thing,” Manning said.

If I'm pointing anything out at this stage, it's that events are not unfolding according to the Rollins/Totera narrative, both of whom have gone very quiet about things of late. I was genuinely shocked that there was no CPL sanctioning announcement in December and instead we got told by Victor Montagliani that the league doesn't even have a name yet on the MLS website of all places. Even by the standards of Canadian pro soccer that was an unexpected twist.

There are TWO parties. Why are you acting like tfc will automatically have their way? While they prefer having tfc2 there, they do seem open to even a non-ownership/controlling relationship which seems to be more likely what is offered to them.

Rollins and tots reports (rollins especially) have been fairly accurate with things and larson is giving them some weight on a lot of things. On them going silent, we've seen a shift from them and their podcasts breaking news to three mainstream news outlets (toronto sun, hamilton spectator, local express) releasing more detailed and better thought out articles on the cpl. The story has evolved to the point they could be on the outside. Yes Larson and the sun are reporting the cpl is talking with tfc but their also saying tfc having a reserve/youth team doesn't fit the leagues goals and would make it look minor.

Tfc in cpl could happen but it's less likely than allowing things like loans and scouting when you look at the current info.

As for not having a name, that's not shocking!

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

If MLSE really wants to be in, a minority partner in another city other than GTA would be the best solution in my opinion.

16 hours ago, zen said:

I have a solution that I think warrants some attention. Each MLS team assigns 8 players (USL roster) as loanees. Each CPL team is then assigned a loanee for the duration of the season, thus in a league with 8 teams, they would have 3 players on a season long loan from MLS. Additionally, the MLS teams can also have 4 reserve players(MLS roster) at a time out on a limited number of short term loans, the number and the duration of which would be negotiated as an agreement between the MLS teams and the CPL. This agreement would be reviewed every 5 years.

The proposition gives the CPL access to quality players, and none of the teams are reserve teams by definition as all agreements are loan agreements between MLS and CPL. The Canadian MLS clubs get the benefit of not having to waste money on the USL. The players are provided with a higher level of competition to play with. It's a win-win-win!

Can we all just agree something along these lines would be an acceptable role for MLS clubs in this thing?  

You taking notes @mlsintoronto?

;)

On tfc wanting to own a team. I really hope vic and concacaf create a rule that limits the number of teams that a person or group can own within this confederation to one. I know it's unlikely to happen (as like all of liga mx is owned by like 6 guys and groups) but i hope it does.

8 minutes ago, matty said:

There are TWO parties. Why are you acting like tfc will automatically have their way?...

I'm not. What I have been pointing out is that it is the CSA rather than the Ticats that have the final say in all of this as they do the sanctioning where any new league is concerned. The CSA are getting along a lot better with MLS these days than they have for a long time, so it's not safe to assume they are in lock step with the Rollins/Totera narrative on how things will unfold.

14 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I'm not. What I have been pointing out is that it is the CSA rather than the Ticats that have the final say in all of this as they do the sanctioning where any new league is concerned. The CSA are getting along a lot better with MLS these days than they have for a long time, so it's not safe to assume they are in lock step with the Rollins/Totera narrative on how things will unfold.

They have the right to sanction but they aren't the owners of the league. Owners have final say on who they want in their league.

You think the csa wasn't working with mls on shit while working with the cpl? If you think that and think they don't want both to work on their terms, instead forcing teams that are unwanted in, and would risk years of work for a not that great deal you're a goof

11 minutes ago, matty said:

They have the right to sanction but they aren't the owners of the league. Owners have final say on who they want in their league.

Bingo. That's how it works in every other major North American Leagues.

Sure the CSA do the sanctioning but the CSA does not have the money to start a league...the CSA must take ownership wishes under consideration.

The CSA needs the owners money WAY more than the owners needs the CSA (in the Canadian context) and they won't let the CSA impose on them something that could be screwing with their investment...like allowing MLS reserve team to kill their business plan or a quota way too high which would hurt the product on the field.

It's also a negotiation between the CSA and CPL ownership group. They have to find the right balance so everybody agrees and start the league with both parties happy. CSA wants to develop elite players while the owners wants to make money. There's a balance to be reached here so both main objectives can be achieved leaving both parties satisfied. All of this must be put in contracts and the legal side of starting a league is massive!!! Of course it takes time

@BBTB: The more you talk, the more you demonstrate that you understand "history" way more than "the business" of sport

14 minutes ago, matty said:

You think the csa wasn't working with mls on shit while working with the cpl?

At one point their posture was along the lines of those are reserve teams, nothing to do with us, we are creating our own system. Now they have Generation Adidas Canada channeling top Canadian prospects into MLS. From a CMNT standpoint it would be good to have the top young prospects in the same structure rather than split between the USL/MLS pathway and the new league. From an owner's standpoint it is understandable that Hamilton Steelers vs Toronto FC II doesn't make for good optics in status terms. People are clearly talking, hopefully they come up with a good solution.

4 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Can I get a TL;DR for Bringbacktheblizzard's and matty's argument. I got into this thread late.

If I am following this, BTBB has largely changed his argument many times over the course of this thread. I think his argument now boils down to "Rollins/Totera/McGrane are wrong in some way that validates my need to be right"

Really, not trying to be a jerk, but I do think that's what it comes down to

Archived