Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

At one point their posture was along the lines of those are reserve teams, nothing to do with us, we are creating our own system. Now they have Generation Adidas Canada channeling top Canadian prospects into MLS. From a CMNT standpoint it would be good to have the top young prospects in the same structure rather than split between the USL/MLS pathway and the new league. From an owner's standpoint it is understandable that Hamilton Steelers vs Toronto FC II doesn't make for good optics in status terms. People are clearly talking, hopefully they come up with a good solution.

The new deal isn't that great. It will likely result in only a handful of academies being approved and will fuck the kids that go to Europe as youths (which seems to be on the rise).

The deal will likely cover less than 50% of the future mnt pool.

25 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

If I am following this, BTBB has largely changed his argument many times over the course of this thread. I think his argument now boils down to "Rollins/Totera/McGrane are wrong in some way that validates my need to be right"

Really, not trying to be a jerk, but I do think that's what it comes down to

Also "beinre works for the owners not the league so his points are not valid, i only hear half of what larson says, the spec isn't trustworthy, cfl owners can't pull this off unless they're from toronto, cpl should be mls's gimp"

Always find it interesting when people feel a need to use quotes for things somebody never even said. 

Think this deserves a bump and shouldn't be lost in all the kneejerk stuff.

5 hours ago, Levi Oakey said:

I mean, I know it is my own club. But we aren't your average PDL team. At least not from the ownership side of things. Our owner was the guy who knocked on MLSE's door and said that Toronto deserves a pro soccer team. When United launched John McCrane, Paul Beirne, Victor Montagliani and a host of other names that are connected to this league came out to the Tannery in Kitchener and shook hands with our supporters saying we deserved our own professional team, that we wouldn't be in PDL for long with the people we had involved.

Right from the get go, Barry talked about moving KW far beyond PDL and even USL. Barry has a chunk of change from when Pillers was sold for around 250 million. So it ain't chump change.

Do people still think K/W is a longshot for 20 years down the road after reading that?

8 minutes ago, shermanator said:

We have two opposing viewpoints on the league, and neither side seems to want to budge from theirs. At this point, looks like we are at a stalemate, no? Perhaps it's time to give up on the argument?

Rabbit season

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Always find it interesting when people feel a need to use quotes for things somebody never even said. 

Think this deserves a bump and shouldn't be lost in all the kneejerk stuff.

Do people still think K/W is a longshot for 20 years down the road after reading that?

To be honest, if things are as conservative as have been said before, yes.

A rich owner is a plus but there are still a number of issues that will make the process slow there.

Anyways I'm done yelling at you and pointing out the near endless flaws with your views

5 minutes ago, matty said:

To be honest, if things are as conservative as have been said before, yes.

A rich owner is a plus but there are still a number of issues that will make the process slow there.

Anyways I'm done yelling at you and pointing out the near endless flaws with your views

And, to point this out yet again. The parting shots are not necessary here. The argument needs to be dropped from both sides. Go have a beer or something.

Hey V's, popping in randomly after a few months of self-imposed break from the V's boards (it's too much fun browsing at work).

I had a quick question that I thought would be more relevant to ask in this thread as opposed to creating a new thread.

Does the CSA have any official requirements on the divisional status of a league, as the USSF does, on D1, D2, etc? I know USSF does, which became more and more relevant this offseason with NASL/USL, and I've skimmed the documents briefly, but I thought it'd be interesting to look at the Canadian perspective, re: CPL, USL, L1O, PLSQ, PDL, etc.

I've checked the CSA site, googled, read the Easton Report and the Canadian soccer league system wiki, and asked on twitter to no avail. If anybody could point to an official link if there is one, that'd be greatly appreciated. If there are no official division guidelines, and you could tell me that with an official link as well, that'd also be appreciated, thanks.

3 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

Hey V's, popping in randomly after a few months of self-imposed break from the V's boards (it's too much fun browsing at work).

I had a quick question that I thought would be more relevant to ask in this thread as opposed to creating a new thread.

Does the CSA have any official requirements on the divisional status of a league, as the USSF does, on D1, D2, etc? I know USSF does, which became more and more relevant this offseason with NASL/USL, and I've skimmed the documents briefly, but I thought it'd be interesting to look at the Canadian perspective, re: CPL, USL, L1O, PLSQ, PDL, etc.

I've checked the CSA site, googled, read the Canadian soccer league system wiki, and asked on twitter to no avail. If anybody could point to an official link if there is one, that'd be greatly appreciated. If there are no official division guidelines, and you could tell me that with an official link as well, that'd also be appreciated, thanks.

I looked a while back when I first started editing said wiki page and met with the same result.  As far as I can tell, it's even more haphazard and "whatever we feel like" than the US system.

If you can find something, I'd love to see it.

1 minute ago, Gopherbashi said:

I looked a while back when I first started editing said wiki page and met with the same result.  As far as I can tell, it's even more haphazard and "whatever we feel like" than the US system.

If you can find something, I'd love to see it.

I got absolutely nothing with Google or with the CSA site, though it was fun to find the page with the Board of Directors, lots of interesting info on that page. I just read the wiki again, fabulous work from those that have completely revamped that wiki page. If you were part of that, kudos to you.

In fact, is there a thread on the V's somewhere where people exclusively discuss the editing of wiki pages on the Cdn league system, MNT/WNT, etc?

7 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

I am vehemently opposed to any kind of player loan arrangement with MLS as it would firmly establish CPL as secondary to MLS. And I look forward to the day when CPL will surpass MLS.

It will also allow MLS clubs to hoard talent because these players would not have to choose between MLS and playing regular first team football -- they could have both via a loan to CPL. Without the loan option some may choose CPL instead of MLS.

Personally, I hope we see some sort of mutually beneficial arrangements made between TFC/IMFC/VWC and the CPL franchises. I'm not sure exactly what, but giving MLSE some sort of incentive to not attempt to campaign against it is important, in my opinion. 

27 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

I am vehemently opposed to any kind of player loan arrangement with MLS as it would firmly establish CPL as secondary to MLS. And I look forward to the day when CPL will surpass MLS.

It will also allow MLS clubs to hoard talent because these players would not have to choose between MLS and playing regular first team football -- they could have both via a loan to CPL. Without the loan option some may choose CPL instead of MLS.

I think we all would love that, but it's just an unrealistic pipe dream.  Our best hope is to have the CPL be to MLS what the Chilean league is to Argentina/Brazil and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.  We'll have our days where we beat them in continental competitions and "claim" we're better but realistically they're always going to be bigger.  But our goal of course is to help the national team and Chile has won back to back Copa Americas... so if we end up in that spot we're in heaven.  

14 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

I got absolutely nothing with Google or with the CSA site, though it was fun to find the page with the Board of Directors, lots of interesting info on that page. I just read the wiki again, fabulous work from those that have completely revamped that wiki page. If you were part of that, kudos to you.

In fact, is there a thread on the V's somewhere where people exclusively discuss the editing of wiki pages on the Cdn league system, MNT/WNT, etc?

It still needs a shitton of work.  The text is kind of rambly and all of the CSL stuff is just outdated now and can be removed.

Been meaning to do it this offseason but it hasn't been a priority.

Just now, Gopherbashi said:

It still needs a shitton of work.  The text is kind of rambly and all of the CSL stuff is just outdated now and can be removed.

Been meaning to do it this offseason but it hasn't been a priority.

It's already quite good, I like the updated table with the CSA-sanctioned on the left side, and the USSF-sanctioned on the right side. If you weren't able to find official links and you've been editing that wiki, then I do have little hope that there is some official CSA document on the internet out there somewhere.

Anyways, great work, man!

1 minute ago, Alex D said:

What does this have to do with anything? I think everyone here would be more than happy to see a KW team in the CPL. 

He was bumping an important bit of information that got lost in the infighting. It's a good thing, let's just let the discussion move on

11 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

The problem is that any kind of arrangement would not be mutually beneficial (IMO). Having the CPL establish itself as secondary to MLS from the outset would put a massive dent in its credibility and long term prospects. No amount of player loans could compensate for that.

I think the CPL should position itself as the #1 league in Canada, and distance itself from MLS as an "American" league. Obviously it will have a tough row to hoe in the Canadian MLS cities but the rest of Canada, which really doesn't care one whit about MLS, is a different story. And once traction is gained there I see steady progress ahead in the MLS cities.

I think a lesson to be learned from NASL is that taking a hardline like that will please a select hardcore demographic but alienate everyone else. I'm not saying a loan agreement is the answer, but it would have much better optics than a straight-up reserve team. Though who knows if TFC et al would even be interested in anything less than a reserve side

9 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

Not sure I understand your point. I don't think your analogy is valid. Unless there are Chilean cities that have teams playing in the Argentinean or Brazilian league. I'm talking about establishing CPL as the #1 league in Canada.

If the CPL ever became the #1 league in Canada it would have to be because TFC, Vancouver, Montreal jumped to it.  Otherwise it's really not even up for discussion.  That's like expecting the CHL to pass the NHL.  

Archived