Canadian Premier League

ted

My guess would be that the CPL name was registered as a kneejerk response to Ottawa's move to USL. It was noteworthy at the time that the CSA provided no comment when contacted by the CBC Hamilton website about it. Beyond that if the CSA's AGM on May 6th is when Montagliani steps down as CSA prez, I suspect that's when he will want the big press conference to be held.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

But that is exactly my point. Nobody outside of Toronto cares!

That was an epic semi between TFC and Montreal. It deserves to be brought up in the media at regular intervals over the next couple of decades. As it would have been had it been a Champions League semi. But it won't be because nobody cares about MLS. Because it is a nothing league in that when you win it you are Champions of nothing.

You are certainly not Champions of North America because there is no North American FA that has designated it to be so.

Edit: I know it looks as though I am bashing MLS but I don't really mean to; it is not a top league but it is much better than nothing. What I am bashing is the geographical void in which it lives, and that is what makes it irrelevant.

Almost 100,000 fans showed up for the 2 playoff games between Montreal and Toronto - someone cares. Thats a good turnout by any leagues standard .

25 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Almost 100,000 fans showed up for the 2 playoff games between Montreal and Toronto - someone cares. Thats a good turnout by any leagues standard .

What he's saying is that the MLS teams have captured a share of the market within their cities, and not much outside. That's in contrast to, say, the Blue Jays, with a strong fanbase outside of Toronto (particularly out west in my experience). Those 100000 fans were primarily Torontonians and Montrealers 

That said, I think the TV numbers show at least interest outside those cities, of not necessarily fandom

Listener from Halifax (Our Halifax) asked about its viability.  Jon Arnold, the CONCACAF expert gave an overview of the plan, the challenges, and the player quota issues in MLS.  Even mentioned the infamous "Paul Beer-Nee" being hired.  Discussed how it's needed to give more Canadians a place to play and improve Canada's international prospects ahead of a possible co-hosting of the World Cup.  I suspect he's read this thread.

On 2016-12-29 at 9:32 PM, Pat Carrasco said:

I know that I'm going to take lots of criticism for posting this type of inflammatory language, but I was deeply insulted today when Victor Montagliani made the statement that the CPL could start in 2019. It's either 2018 or bust. That's the bottom line. Otherwise this is seen as a BIG joke. I was even surprised that Voyageurs were not up-and-arms over Montagliani's comments. Voyageurs should not stand by and let the CSA do this to us. I even tweeted Anthony Totera my deep depreciating of the comments from the former CSA president. It appears that Montagliani has a tendency of consistently going back on his words. This is one of the reason why I've always had little respect for him throughout the years.

image.jpg

I am frustrated by delays as well, but what the hell does 2028 or bust mean? Do you think Canadian soccer would be better off with nothing in 2019 than having a league of its own? I will only believe a start date when the schedule is released, but it's ridiculous to say they should give up today if 2018 isn't achievable.

4 hours ago, dsqpr said:

You are certainly not Champions of North America because there is no North American FA that has designated it to be so.

Edit: I know it looks as though I am bashing MLS but I don't really mean to; it is not a top league but it is much better than nothing. What I am bashing is the geographical void in which it lives, and that is what makes it irrelevant.

Yeah, the USA plus Canada (or if you prefer, 3 pockets of Canada) is a geographical void.

Also worth noting, NFL champions are champions of USA, but NBA champions are champions of nothing ever since they expanded to Canada. Air tight logic.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

Yeah, the USA plus Canada (or if you prefer, 3 pockets of Canada) is a geographical void.

Also worth noting, NFL champions are champions of USA, but NBA champions are champions of nothing ever since they expanded to Canada. Air tight logic.

Yeah but MLB champions are champions of the world so stick that in your toque and smoke it :) 

13 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The bit about Paul Beirne's role is a bit odd to say the least given how his arrival on the scene was reported in the Hamilton Spectator as being a hire by the league. The stuff about the name also calls into question why CPL was trademarked apparently unilaterally by people in Hamilton. This suggests that the CSA and the Ticats are not working in unison on this and that might even extend as far as "the business side of it".

Logically, the group of "original ownership" ARE the league. 

Makes total sense for them to be the ones who made the hiring.

Now regarding CSA and the league not being on the same page, CSA is the sanctioning body who impose/lay down the conditions for its sanctioning of the league but they won't be running it, CPL group of owners will be running it.

USSF aren't running MLS, the group of owners are running it via their commissioners hired by them

12 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

Yeah, considering there's been a CPL trademark for months now, it seems odd that the CSA wouldn't consider it the official name.

Didn't they trademark a bunch of different names? I could see why the final name is still up in the air

10 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

What he meant to say is that nobody cares outside of those to markets. The rest of the country (except Vancouver) doesn't care about MLS

Same for the rest of the US outside of the clubs markets

6 hours ago, Kent said:

US Champions are determined by MLS Cup and US Open. (Meaning Montreal Impact winning the cup AND  Vancouver Whitecaps winning the supporters shield WOULD NOT have gave them a Champions League ticket). So TFC winning the MLS cup would have made them the champions of the United States. 

Canadian Championship are determined by the Canadian Championship, which TFC won.

24 minutes ago, Ansem said:

...USSF aren't running MLS, the group of owners are running it via their commissioners hired by them

But MLS had to get the D1 sanctioning first and there were two other business models in play (the pre-existing APSL with the Blizzard, 86ers and Supra all on board and another group called League One America). As things stand it sounds like the CSA still haven't decided definitively what the preferred business model is yet in consultation with the interested ownership groups, so the CPL approach that has been tweeted about may not be what eventually happens. It may wind up being closer to what Kurt Larson has written about in the Toronto Sun given the CSA and MLS seem to be getting along quite amicabally again.

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

What he meant to say is that nobody cares outside of those to markets. The rest of the country (except Vancouver) doesn't care about MLS

Same for the rest of the US outside of the clubs markets

I don't buy that argument. I Don't live in an MLS market (Halifax) yet I follow TFC and watch same of their games. I also have several friends who watch TFC games. I work as a receiver in a retail store and often talk sports with the delivery drivers and a few of them were following and talking to me about TFC's playoff run.

The point could be made that most people in Canada only follow the Canadian teams - I think that is fair. However TFC/Impact/Whitecaps do have some level of support from folks outside their market.

Im not talking about Toronto Blue Jays type support or Toronto Maple Leaf type support but to say that nobody cares outside the 3 big cities is not correct. 

1 hour ago, grasshopper1917 said:

I don't buy that argument. I Don't live in an MLS market (Halifax) yet I follow TFC and watch same of their games. I also have several friends who watch TFC games. I work as a receiver in a retail store and often talk sports with the delivery drivers and a few of them were following and talking to me about TFC's playoff run.

The point could be made that most people in Canada only follow the Canadian teams - I think that is fair. However TFC/Impact/Whitecaps do have some level of support from folks outside their market.

Im not talking about Toronto Blue Jays type support or Toronto Maple Leaf type support but to say that nobody cares outside the 3 big cities is not correct. 

The available data is not consistent with your experience however. Only 1% of Atlantic Canadians participating in Reginal Bibby's 2016 Sport in Canada indicated that they follow Mel's closely or fairly closely (compared to 9% for cfl.)  Same for MB-SK (1%) while Alberta lead the way with 5%. While it is technically correct that 1% is not "nobody" it is certainly not hyperbole to use that description.

1 hour ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Ratings and articles are inconsistent with your claim. 

Off course I should change my wording from nobody to most people outside the big 3 don't care about MLS.

4 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

But MLS had to get the D1 sanctioning first and there were two other business models in play (the pre-existing APSL with the Blizzard, 86ers and Supra all on board and another group called League One America). As things stand it sounds like the CSA still haven't decided definitively what the preferred business model is yet in consultation with the interested ownership groups, so the CPL approach that has been tweeted about may not be what eventually happens. It may wind up being closer to what Kurt Larson has written about in the Toronto Sun given the CSA and MLS seem to be getting along quite amicabally again.

Not sure you're reading this right.

(We’ve had interest from over a dozen ownership groups across the country, in various locations, who are interested in looking at the business model. We’re in the process right now of going through due diligence with these ownership groups to establish a memo of understanding that we need to execute in the early part of 2017.)

To me, they have a business model and ownership have showed interest at looking at said business model. They are looking at those ownership and seems to try to lock in those who fit the profile they are looking for.

Good if CSA and MLS are on better terms, but that has nothing to do with the Canadian situation as Garber made quite clear that he won't expand in Canada.

"dsqpr" the MLS is doing so much better in the Canadian cities than anyone would of ever invisioned, do I care that someone in Regina or Frt. McMurray does not  care , what the hell do I care if no one outside the big three Canadian cities in the MLS care. You think it will tarnish a Championship if it's ever won by one of the 3 Canadian MLS cities , no no no lol. The Canadian MLS cities matter in their cities and that's all that us fans in these cities care, we don't care that people in the rest of Canada don't care, we will still fill the stadiums in the Canadian MLS cities and if we win a championship we will party like there is no tomorrow, that people outside of Canada's 3 biggest cities don't care does not even come into the conversation who the hell cares.

I don't as long asthe rest of Canadians are healthy and are relatively doing fine in life that's what I care about , stop trying to discredit a league that has so far been pretty successful in Canada's three biggest cities with interest and crowds not even I as a diehard soccer fan ever invisioned, if you combine the population of the three Canadian MLS cities you are talking about a major portion of the overall Canadian population where  the MLS is in and is pretty successful, its successful sports fans care in these cities it's working and to me that's all that matters , sorry.

I don't as long as the rest of Canadians are healthy and are relatively doing fine in life that's what I care about , stop trying to discredit a league that has so far been pretty successful in Canada's three biggest cities with interest and crowds not even I as a diehard soccer fan ever invisioned, if you combine the population of the three Canadian MLS cities you are talking about a major portion of the overall Canadian population where  the MLS is in and is pretty successful, its successful sports fans care in these cities it's working and to me that's all that matters , sorry.

19 hours ago, 1996 said:

For all you guys who live in the Edmonton's and Calgary 's and places that have no MLS team I can see why you can't wait for a pro team in your cities even though Edmonton has a team now  in the NASL but with that league about to go under then I'll include Edmonton in this argument. Like I said a Canadian league will be great and will be something that will help in developing Canadian players so I'm hoping it works out. However, it seems to me that a lot of the MLS bashers on this site and I may be wrong are mainly people from cities in Canada without any pro teams and also a lot of CFL fans who dislike the MLS because how in such a short time it has more or less caught up to the CFL in those 3 cities with an MLS team as well . Pro soccer is doing just fine at the moment popularity wise in Canada's 3 big cities and will continue to grow in popularity over the years. I'm done going to games with just friends and family in attendance and with no media coverage been there done that by supporting the different pro leagues that came after the NASl folded in 1984 and the start of TFC in 2007. I've put in my time supporting all those leagues in between with no fans and no media attention, therefore, forgive  me if this new CPL is not something that is keeping up at night anticipating it. I'm now finally supporting a team and a league that feels sort of big time and that has decent media coverage and pretty good attendance, however, I understand for you others that have no pro soccer in your cities this CPL is exciting stuff but for me I've been where you guys are now , you will be going to games with a couple of thousand in the stands hopefully ,with most likely no real media coverage which is fine, but for me I'm in an MLS city where the team matters and it has a big time feel to it and that is all I want after putting in the time supporting pro soccer where even here where I live had hardly any fans or media coverage and where those teams I supported did not matter apart from a few diehards and friends and family of the players, been there done that.

So what's the conclusion to your ramble? These cities that have MLS franchises shouldn't try at all because it most likely isn't going to have that "big time" feel? I'm from the GTA and I'm definitely jumping on board with this over MLS when it comes to fruition.

Archived