WCQ - Dominica at Canada, June 16, 2015 at BMO Field

Cblake

Nice that they'll be streaming the game tonight so those of us attending it live tomorrow can get a sneak peek.  Usually it's the other way around.  We may not be able to see our team on TV but at least we can see the future.

Where did you read something like that?

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So.... it's a little over 24 hours until game time.

------------------------------Stama----------------------------

Ledgerwood----Edgar-----James-------Morgan

---------------------------de Guzman------------------------

Akindele-------Johnson---Teibert--------Osorio

-------------------------------Larin-------------------------------

A combination of what i'd like to see vs what Floro will throw out.

First of all, I get the feeling we'll see Nana at RB, but i'm overriding my gut with the fact that Ledgerwood is first choice and we need to ensure a result. This is wacky, nin-sensical CONCACAF, as we all can see.

Edgar gets the start after resting whatever aigment held him out last match. James gets thrown a bone - it's his birth nation and he wasn't bad last game.

Morgan gets his chance in front of the hometown faithful.

Osorio starts after no action last match. Chemistry with Morgan will be important.

Teibert gets rewarded with a second start.

Johnson gets the nod after several training sessions with the group.

Akindele, like Teibert, gets rewarded with another start after a strong first match.

Larin is the obvious choice...BOOM!

OKAY - EXPECTING 5-0 at HOME!!

Just playing, things are particularly wonky this year, so you jerks have been proven right so far - we should feel blessed for even getting the 2-0 result last match.

My prediction is 3-0

LARIN

TESHO

OSORIO

^^^  That's the lineup that I'm expecting more or less as well except I think Johnson will be a substitute as he works his way back to health.  Morgan and Osorio will be starting. 

I think the central midfield will start off with De Guzman, Teibert and Osorio and that one of them will give way to Johnson at some point.

I also expect that the wings will be Tesho on the left and Ricketts on the right with Larin as the new fixture as our central striker.  Those 3 are quite effective as a set of attackers for us and they should be the starters for us pretty much through the whole qualifying cycle (unless a miracle happens and Hoilett or Finlay start to play for us). 

Ricketts get a lot of flack and everyone is always looking to replace him but you have to respect him because a) he always shows up and proudly represents Canada and :cool: he's often our only effective scoring option and c) he's our most experienced and highest scoring active attacker.

Ricketts get a lot of flack and everyone is always looking to replace him but you have to respect him because a) he always shows up and proudly represents Canada and :cool: he's often our only effective missing the net option and c) he's our most experienced and highest scoring active attacker.

Fixed your post.  Actually, humor aside, I like Ricketts for always showing up too.  Just wish we had someone more clinical in front of net in that role. 

^I don't know why I put JDG in there that's weird.  I meant Hoilett for sure.

I do agree that Ricketts misses his share of sitters but hopefully with Larin and Akindele on the roster we have those clinical finishers now.  I expect Ricketts will chip in with a bunch more goals during this qualifying run and the gold cup. 

In general, the 'havoc-creating' poor finisher is an underrated player to have (see: Oduro, Mattocks, Hurtado), and I think Ricketts fits that role well. Missed chances are frustrating, but no chances at all are even worse. Speed and the ability to beat people open up the field for other players and force defensive lines backwards, two hugely important offensive goals.

Agree with the above.

Ricketts is the active leading goal scorer in our player pool. He has 8 goals from 38 matches, which seems pretty poor, but not far off from national treasure Dwayne De Rosarios's 22 in 81. Ricketts is better on a goals per minute basis, and much better if you omit penalties. He does seem to squander a good number of chances, but he also generates more than some of our other strikers because of his speed and athleticism. I'm not ready to write him off.

Just looking at that front 5 of Larin, Akindele, Johnson, Teibert and Osorio.....

Man, looking at where all those players are at career-wise, things are shaping up nicely for us.

None of those players are genuine all-star calibar, but they are all legitimate MLS-quality starters. They are not only useful to their clubs, I would go as far as saying each one can be looked at as a difference maker.

Then, you have Tissot coming off the bench. He is really proving to be a good player as well. If he can give us a spark off the bench like he does for the Impact, it will certainly bode well for our chances!

Factor in Hutchinson and Piette (who looks like a matter of 'when' and not 'if' he'll break through in the Depor A team), and you really got some true depth. Petrasso too will likely find himself a QPR regular at some point during this cycle.

The best part are their ages. 23,23,22,28,20. All will be around for the next cycle as well (maybe save for Johnson, but given his quality and importance for Portland, I wouldn't rule him out playing well into his 30's like Beckerman is now).

Ricketts is ok but he's no longer a starter.  I always found Jackson a more well rounded and useful forward, not sure how or why Ricketts ever leap frogged him.

Floro sure does love Straith.  He's a borderline call up, not a starter.  

Tomorrow I'd like to see

Stama

Ledgerwood Nana Edgar Morgan

Teibert deGuz

Tissot Osorio Akindele

Larin

Subs: Haber, Edwini-Bonsu, Johnson

Johnson has to start tomorrow.  He is already match fit and back from his injury he has started twice for Portland (going the distance once) and 3 times for Portland II.  He's been playing in matches for almost 2 months now and I'm sure Floro wants a look.  I think he was just sensible in the rotation of his squad and Johnson's situation, obviously it makes the most sense for Will to play tomorrow.  

As for James, I don't think it makes sense to start him now.  He had his moment in Dominica but he wasn't selected for the 35 man roster to the Gold Cup so it's probably best for Floro to start Roberts, Straith or Attakora in his spot alongside Edgar.  

I really have no idea whether he'll start Larin or Haber.  I'd be hesitant to pull Larin out of the XI and put a halt to this form in favour of Haber if I were Floro but at the same time he's probably leaning to rotation too.  Although it should be noted that Haber started both matches in our last camp after he scored against Guatemala so I think the same will apply to Larin here.  

Floro seems to like Ricketts and I do as well.  People are pointing to how he misses chances but at the same time he has been one of the most consistent scorers for us and if he would have scored that volley/bicycle kick/scissor kick whatever it was against Dominca that just missed he would have been a hero here.  He also played Larin through for the opener but no one seems to give credit there.  For his professional pedigree he is a very good player for us and overachieves internationally, which is great.  Guys like Perez, Tejada, Donovan, Chicharito have unbelievable scoring records but we need to be realistic and see that they have starred in good leagues and are of much higher quality. 8 in 38 is impressive for Ricketts imo.

Archived