Canadians in MLS (2015 Season)

baulderdash77

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really disappointed we did not see De Jong.

What about Vitoria? I know he is not a Canadian international (Yet!) but I wanted to see how he did, but the highlights only showed a few attacking plays by Philly and did not show him at all. It was a very defensive game. Maybe that is a sign that he did his job well.

Steven Sandor @ the11.ca is now going to be tracking MLS and NASL minutes given to Canadians per club in 2015 and posting a running total on the site. Here's the first week. For those folks who do not like reading this type of stuff, I suggest you skip it. Impact fans might also want to skip it, as Sandor takes a big dump (IMO one that is earned) on your club:

http://the11.ca/2015/03/09/introducing-our-new-quintessentially-canadian-mls-power-rankings'> http://the11.ca/2015/03/09/introducing-our-new-quintessentially-canadian-mls-power-rankings

334 minutes to Canadians through week 1, and 180 of those minutes are to players who have either attended the camp of another nation (Akindele) or played for another nation's youth program (Vitoria).

I'm not too concerned about Larin. He's only 19, and one of the youngest #1 draft picks in recent memory. Looking at the 3 picks before him:

- Andre Blake was 23

- Andrew Farrell was 21

- Andrew Wenger was 22

And while Salgado was 17 and Mwanga 18 when they were drafted, neither has had a good career to date

Really don't get why OC would draft Larin if right after they were going to sign two DP forwards who are around his age.

I'd imagine they are hedging their bets on finding a good young striker. IMO no guarantee a Honduran or Colombian will light up the league, but also both have more pro games than Larin so he can go play in Louisville, get minutes and be ready for when/if either aren't working out.

Agreed.  This league has only gotten tougher to crack as well. 

I'm sure Orlando sees Larin as a project and he is, but he has the most potential of anyone in the draft.  He should have to earn it as he would in Europe.

De Jong might have to do with the international transfer papers.

I think it is this exactly. SKC were playing chicken with the CBA deadline before signing him. I think his fitness is a factor as well, and KC has always struck me as a very fitness oriented team.

Watched the RBNY game online and Sinovic was not, IMHO, very solid defensively and his service was not great. I do believe MdJ is an upgrade. But no need to rush him in if it results in him being hurt due to lack of fitness. A team like SKC does not often use international spots on players to have them sit outside the first 18.

Agreed.  This league has only gotten tougher to crack as well. 

I'm sure Orlando sees Larin as a project and he is, but he has the most potential of anyone in the draft.  He should have to earn it as he would in Europe.

I like this. Watching the first weekend of play, this league has definitely become tougher for a young, raw player like this to crack immediately.

I also think OCSC is signing as much young quality at striker and hoping something sticks long-term or becomes a valuable asset for selling purposes.

One thing I've noticed in all the years of watching MLS, there will be opportunity for depth players to get a chance due to injuries, fatigue due to travel, US Open Cup (or Voyageurs Cup), turf vs. grass, and international breaks. Hopefully Cyle gets that chance and seizes it.

Really don't get why OC would draft Larin if right after they were going to sign two DP forwards who are around his age.

I'm not too concerned about Larin. He's only 19, and one of the youngest #1 draft picks in recent memory. Looking at the 3 picks before him:

- Andre Blake was 23

- Andrew Farrell was 21

- Andrew Wenger was 22

And while Salgado was 17 and Mwanga 18 when they were drafted, neither has had a good career to date

I understand he's a project, but still it looks like a strange move. Makes you wonder why they didn't draft out a nice deal with Montreal for instance, would probably have been better for him.

Talking about Adrew Blake, that is similar. Maybe you wouldn't expect him to beat MacMath right away, but then they get M'Bolhi. Makes the #1 draft pick look like a waste (especially considering a goalkeeper isn't going to make you a lot of money. Larin could even be considered an investment).

Steven Sandor @ the11.ca is now going to be tracking MLS and NASL minutes given to Canadians per club in 2015 and posting a running total on the site. Here's the first week. For those folks who do not like reading this type of stuff, I suggest you skip it. Impact fans might also want to skip it, as Sandor takes a big dump (IMO one that is earned) on your club:

http://the11.ca/2015/03/09/introducing-our-new-quintessentially-canadian-mls-power-rankings

334 minutes to Canadians through week 1, and 180 of those minutes are to players who have either attended the camp of another nation (Akindele) or played for another nation's youth program (Vitoria).

The article is fair enough but in order to truly gauge whether MLS is helping Canadian soccer, the MLS clubs in USL need to be taken into account (at the appropriate time) and so does teams who have developed players who have gone on to sign with clubs at a higher level (ie. Doneil Henry).

Ashton Morgan is an injury away from playing every game. Adekugbe is a coaches decision or an injury away from playing every game. Kyle Bekker, Jay Chapman and Cyle Larin have a chance to pick up some playing time if injuries or even good opportunities arise. What about on the Impact? Who is close to getting some playing time? I know Bernier, but it seems his role will be reduced.

@Gian-Luca, I agree that USL should not be counted here as of yet (if I understood your point correctly). It will be at least a year or two before we have a tangible measure of how the USL clubs are truly developing Canadian talent.

I'll say it right now, the Whitecaps will be at the top, and the Impact will be behind Vancouver, Toronto, KC, Dallas and Philly at the end of the year. That's not to say I'm impressed yet with what the Whitecaps are doing, but more of a reflection of how much Toronto and Montreal have regressed in how much Canadian talent is on the pitch.

I understand he's a project, but still it looks like a strange move. Makes you wonder why they didn't draft out a nice deal with Montreal for instance, would probably have been better for him.

Talking about Adrew Blake, that is similar. Maybe you wouldn't expect him to beat MacMath right away, but then they get M'Bolhi. Makes the #1 draft pick look like a waste (especially considering a goalkeeper isn't going to make you a lot of money. Larin could even be considered an investment).

Well it's a business.  Larin has the potential to be worth a 7 figure sum in the future... it wouldn't make sense to draft a rawer more "pro-ready" guy and miss out on his potential $ value.  As OCSC showed, they could easily just pick up multiple forwards since Larin wasn't ready so it was in fact a really smart move and not dumb at all.

The article is fair enough but in order to truly gauge whether MLS is helping Canadian soccer, the MLS clubs in USL need to be taken into account (at the appropriate time) and so does teams who have developed players who have gone on to sign with clubs at a higher level (ie. Doneil Henry).

Absolutely, and as Floro doesn't seem to think many of the NASL players are worthy of a call I wonder if that league should be counted at all in this kind of analysis. I kid, kind of, but if this was an honest analysis, Sandor would include those players who came through MLS systems now playing overseas, the players on the USL teams, the quality of players developed through the MLS systems, the impact of the USSDA academies, the impact of top-level club soccer in the country and etc.. and etc.., but that won't support his crusade. MLS clubs, including the U-17's and U-20's, are responsible for around 75% of the players on this country's men's teams now.

Given the drumbeat of blogs like this I wonder if there wasn't a bit of an effort by the CSA to reach out to some journalists and try and get them to try to influence discussion on the Canadian quota in the MLS CBA negotiations. Not the worst idea in the world, if so, but some the argumentation is getting pathological. I also wouldn't be surprised if the CSA starts making more public noise about increasing the Canadian quota or removing the American exemption in MLS now that 1-A has essentially failed.

From the USSF point of view, they'll feel, and rightly so, that they've been nothing but helpful to us, given our inability to organize anything like a real league, so I think any punitive actions against American players would be a non-starter (from the Canadian clubs viewpoint as well) but either an increased Canadian quota or an insistence that no Canadian MLS club be able to go over the minimum international spots on a roster may be something they can do without too much pain.

Well it's a business.  Larin has the potential to be worth a 7 figure sum in the future... it wouldn't make sense to draft a rawer more "pro-ready" guy and miss out on his potential $ value.  As OCSC showed, they could easily just pick up multiple forwards since Larin wasn't ready so it was in fact a really smart move and not dumb at all.

That 7 figures is never going to happen. Maybe 6 if he starts ripping up MLS real soon. I understand your point and agree with it to some extend, but doesn't the money of a sell go to MLS and not the club? Or do they get a percentage? Otherwise the only value he would have would be MLS-value (Allocation money and/or other players or future draft picks). And anyway, he needs to play to even be worth anything. 

On the topic of professional Canadian athletes, here's an article about Masai Ujiri and his insistence that the Raps will acquire a Canadian player.

'Ujiri said having a Canadian on the Raptors is "an obligation we have to fulfil. We're a Canadian team and I think to have Canadian players I think would be phenomenal.

"There is no doubt in my mind. . .during my time, even if my time is short, there will be a Canada playing for the Toronto Raptors, 100 per cent. I have no doubt in my mind, it's something we think about every day, it's something we study. . . the guys in the NBA, the ones outside the NBA, the younger kids, the kids in college, the kids playing overseas. We're just waiting for that one to come."

Ujiri said he planned to hire a scout to concentrate on Canadian players "because the growth of the game here is so big."'

I believe that yes Canadians have to earn contracts and minutes with Canadian clubs but I also believe that the clubs should be actively trying to pursue Canadian players as best possible.

On the topic of professional Canadian athletes, here's an article about Masai Ujiri and his insistence that the Raps will acquire a Canadian player.

'Ujiri said having a Canadian on the Raptors is "an obligation we have to fulfil. We're a Canadian team and I think to have Canadian players I think would be phenomenal.

"There is no doubt in my mind. . .during my time, even if my time is short, there will be a Canada playing for the Toronto Raptors, 100 per cent. I have no doubt in my mind, it's something we think about every day, it's something we study. . . the guys in the NBA, the ones outside the NBA, the younger kids, the kids in college, the kids playing overseas. We're just waiting for that one to come."

Ujiri said he planned to hire a scout to concentrate on Canadian players "because the growth of the game here is so big."'

I believe that yes Canadians have to earn contracts and minutes with Canadian clubs but I also believe that the clubs should be actively trying to pursue Canadian players as best possible.

Why do that when all you need is E-Money?

Do the Raptors have anything approaching the academies our three MLS teams have? Or is that just a soccer thing? Actively looking is a very good idea but actively developing is much better. I know basketball is a lot of NCAA development or straight to the pros at 18 for the obvious superstars but I'm curious if any basketball teams do the academy routine.

Do the Raptors have anything approaching the academies our three MLS teams have? Or is that just a soccer thing? Actively looking is a very good idea but actively developing is much better. I know basketball is a lot of NCAA development or straight to the pros at 18 for the obvious superstars but I'm curious if any basketball teams do the academy routine.

No, there's a poorly-regarded youth system of special (e.g. cheat on your grades) high schools and a summer league called the AAU that good prospects play in before college. It would be a lot better if they had a youth system to stop teams intentionally losing for better draft position, and the league could easily afford it, but they would obviously rather let the college teams spend the money. The NBA does have the 'D-League' developmental league for of-age players which was actually one of the inspirations for the MLS/USL tie-up.

Dallas technical director on Bekker:

I’m surprised. Everything is new for him. It’s a new team. It’s a new way but I think he’s a very skillful player. He has good attributes in his game that can help us. You can give him time to improve. Yes, it has been slower than I expected, but I have no doubt it’s going to turn around.

Dallas coach Pareja on Bekker:

He needs a little time, yeah. But he has the desire and I can see the eagerness to do it.

Bekker is in the process of knowing the group. Certainly he’s adjusting as well to a new methodology, a new group, new fundamentals for sure because we have some particular ways to do things here. He’s observing all that information at once. But we are getting to know him more and more-what habits he has and how we can help him better. All those things are just right now on the table. We’re in an ongoing process with him.

Not looking great for Bekker so far!

Archived