2015 Ottawa Fury FC NASL Season

ironcub14

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Life goes on for Ottawa Fury

http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/09/16/life-goes-on-for-ottawa-fury

It doesn't deflate the players, nor does it really add a "do it for the gaffer" feeling in the room.

The team needs no added motivation, said defender Ryan Richter.

"Obviously we all love Marc and we want to win it, but we don't want to win it jut for him," he said. "I want to win it for my wife, I want to win it for my family, I want to win it to try and do better in my career. I want to win it because we have a great group of lads and (Dos Santos) is just part of that.

• 2 weeks later...

Jackson Gagnon-Laparé added on loan.  Nice addition for the Fury, I think he'll do well for them if given the chance and it will be a great experience as well for him.  Wish we saw more of our young Canadians loaned to NASL clubs.

Yeah it's awesome. Same announcement also has us signing three additional academy players to senior contracts. Don't know much about them, but this brings the total of Canadians at Ottawa Fury's first team to 11. A full team! woohoo! Full announcement here: http://www.ottawafuryfc.com/news/2015/10/06/gagnon-lapar-joins-fury-fc-on-loan-from-impact

I am glad we are seeing Canadian teams work together and are not seeing the usual monopolistic strategies MLS usually uses to de-value NASL. 

About time, too!  The Whitecaps and Impact said they wanted to continue helping/working with NASL ( or whatever it was called) when they moved to MLS.  So far there has been very little in the way of concrete actions by those teams.  All 3 Canadian MLS teams should be using NASL for their players that need to play at a higher level that USL Pro (reserves) but are not ready to play serious MLS minutes.  It is just a matter of whether MLS frowns on this.

This is a good loan but why would MLS teams loan out players to NASL en masse? The level is marginally higher than USL at best, they lose the ability to play the players in case of first team roster need and the players don't get exposure with the first team unlike the USL (not USL Pro) teams.

If you talk to coaches in both MLS and NASL they are pretty clear that NASL is closer to MLS and then there is a much bigger drop to USL. There is no doubt in my mind that Ottawa Fury FC play at significantly higher level than FC Montreal in the USL does.

The recent U.S. Open Cup results show differently, as does the eye test. I do think NASL is better overall but the gap is not large and both are far from MLS quality. FC Edmonton is running out Johann Smith for crying out loud, a guy who was a bad player for Mo Johnston-era TFC.

The recent U.S. Open Cup results show differently, as does the eye test. I do think NASL is better overall but the gap is not large and both are far from MLS quality. FC Edmonton is running out Johann Smith for crying out loud, a guy who was a bad player for Mo Johnston-era TFC.

One US Open Cup round is not a big enough sample in my view. The eye test on the other hand is a little too subjective to be scientific, haha ;-).

"The eye test" is one of my most hated cliches in sports. It means absolutely nothing as it's completely subjective and is completely different from one person to the next. It's used a lot around NCAA basketball in the spring because national analysts have a hard time making sense of the tournament rankings because they don't watch complete seasons of 68 teams. 

• 2 weeks later...

Has there been any indication as to when JGL will be available or is he injured?  I thought it was odd that he wasn't even on the bench, even if the team is doing really well.

Nice to see a Canadian connection on your winner tonight.

dont think it was odd at all, he travelled from the tournament likely back to montreal to sort stuff out and then to Ottawa, he maybe only trained with team 2 or 3 times.

Archived