2015 Ottawa Fury FC NASL Season

ironcub14

http://www.twiceacosmo.com/2015/11/19/9761768/can-ottawa-fury-fc-continue-to-contend-in-2016

Ottawa are unique among expansion sides from the past two years, in that their success on the pitch has actually outpaced their success at the gate. The front office has shown a knack for finding undervalued assets that fit well together, and unless the club's budget increases significantly this winter, that ability will need to be on display again in order to make it two seasons in a row with postseason soccer in Ottawa. If nothing else, it will be fascinating to watch how they handle the early success, as they try to avoid the sort of dropoff we've seen from title contenders in the past.

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.twiceacosmo.com/2015/11/19/9761768/can-ottawa-fury-fc-continue-to-contend-in-2016

Ottawa are unique among expansion sides from the past two years, in that their success on the pitch has actually outpaced their success at the gate. The front office has shown a knack for finding undervalued assets that fit well together, and unless the club's budget increases significantly this winter, that ability will need to be on display again in order to make it two seasons in a row with postseason soccer in Ottawa. If nothing else, it will be fascinating to watch how they handle the early success, as they try to avoid the sort of dropoff we've seen from title contenders in the past.

Big news to be announced in a mere 6 minutes. 

Bruce Grobbelaar says he has a better goalie with Ottawa Fury than Liverpools starting goalie.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/10078179/jurgen-klopp-wants-to-replace-simon-mignolet-at-liverpool-says-bruce-grobbelaar

I assume he is talking about Marcel Debellis, who has played a grand total of 1 professional game, and if he resigns with the Fury he will not play many more games as Peisar has signed a new 2 year contract.

Bruce Grobbelaar says he has a better goalie with Ottawa Fury than Liverpools starting goalie.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/10078179/jurgen-klopp-wants-to-replace-simon-mignolet-at-liverpool-says-bruce-grobbelaar

I assume he is talking about Marcel Debellis, who has played a grand total of 1 professional game, and if he resigns with the Fury he will not play many more games as Peisar has signed a new 2 year contract.

You're not suggesting that DeBellis is going to Liverpool, are you? :-)

Read the article, i never suggested that, just pointed out an article on Skysports in the UK where Bruce Grobbelaar said he had a better goalie than Liverpools goalie.

I've read it multiple times. I was just chesting because you said: "Bruce Grobbelaar says he has a better goalie with Ottawa Fury than Liverpools starting goalie." and then said "I assume he is talking about Marcel Debellis, "...

all good buddy.

Ottawa will always have a special place in my heart. Thank you to the amazing fans and staff for everything and I wish the club best of luck

9 retweets 16 likes

Want to thank the @OttawaFuryFC for the great two years I spent with the club. We all grew together and had success. I'll be moving on but

All about those benjamins yo...

Canadian dollar tanking means that clubs like Ottawa and Edmonton can't sign as big contracts as some of those players are asking (or being offered from other clubs). Just the price of doing biz.

Not shocked by this either. There was bound to be a lot of movement when the club lost the head coach. It'll be interesting to see what happens over the next few months leading into 2016. At least they have a #1 keeper.  

I was going to write an article about the Fury off-season, but decided to put it straight to Twitter in the form of statements for the sake of convenience.

Here are my current feelings about the situation:

The Ottawa Fury seriously need to step up their off-season game promptly. (1)

As a fan it certainly looks like a lot of the project that has been built over the last two years is crumbling and here is why: (2)

The official Twitter account in the last weeks is dominated by retweets of Paul Dalglish interviews from various news outlets. (3)

While it is nice to get to meet our new head coach, who looks very promising, I’d also like to find out what else is going on. (4)

As a side note, I don't care about the man's father. My dad is a prominent neurologist, that doesn't mean I know anything about medicine. (5)

While other clubs are feeding their fans with news of player movements and so on, the Fury front office is keeping eerily quiet. (6)

After our phenomenal season, I expected the Ottawa Fury to provide proper send-offs to the people that made it happen. (7)

Yesterday, buried in the news that Darko Buser has taken over the academy, we learned that Phil Dos Santos is going to another club. (8)

Not one player has officially been released; however, we know from social media and "solid" sources that these players aren’t returning: (9)

Richter, Alves, Beckie, Wiedeman and Heinemann are sure to leave. Where are the goodbye articles I ask? (10)

The only fan engagement the Fury are currently undertaking is to remind us to buy season tickets. (11)

You've got my support, but that's because I'm a Fury devotee and will always support this team, no matter what. (12)

However, it would be nice to know for the general public who is actually going to play on our squad next year.  (13)

So far, we expect Peiser, Trafford, Ryan, Falvey, Junior, Eustaquio and Poltronieri to return. Am I missing someone? (14)

Yet, the future of Nicki Paterson, best spring season performer and first ever signing of the club, is still totally uncertain. (15)

What about our midfield magicians? Will Canadian national team captain Julian de Guzman return? What about Ubiparipovic? (16)

I am aware that there are certain challenges in the NASL when it comes to negotiating player contracts and… (17)

…releasing this information publicly and certainly the many economic challenges, such as the weak Canadian dollar, etc. (18)

Despite all of these challenges, the club has a responsibility to keep up at least a façade that things are going under control. (19)

For observant fans this condition has not been met since the signing of our new head coach. @OSEG put some money where your mouth is… (20)

…and stop low balling our players during contract negotiations. Some of these guys have earned a wage increase! (21)

Finally, dear @ottawafuryfc , we love you, but please stop leaving us in the dark. Without us there is no club. (22)

If you expect us to support you financially and emotionally, you need to step up your off-season efforts ASAP! (23)

I feel for you guys, I really do.

I don't know if its because I've taken on a podcast this year, and am listening to the movement a lot more, but I feel like this off season has seen a significant increase in clubs putting out information in the off season. I think that Ottawa's issue is simply a growing pain, and one of the few things that the club hasn't gotten right quite yet. I'm sure that it'll come. I think the transition between coaches and staff has meant that there is more ambiguity in the front office as well. Keep at them for info, so they know that fans want that.

1 hour ago, jedinathan said:

I feel for you guys, I really do.

I don't know if its because I've taken on a podcast this year, and am listening to the movement a lot more, but I feel like this off season has seen a significant increase in clubs putting out information in the off season. I think that Ottawa's issue is simply a growing pain, and one of the few things that the club hasn't gotten right quite yet. I'm sure that it'll come. I think the transition between coaches and staff has meant that there is more ambiguity in the front office as well. Keep at them for info, so they know that fans want that.

Which podcast do you do?

Archived