2015 Ottawa Fury FC NASL Season

ironcub14

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I guess this moves Phil Davies down the depth chart.

Ya I think we can expect Oliver to be resigned soon and have Jr, and Oliver on the wings with Tommy up front, although I really do hope we find another CF, as much as I love Tommy I feel if we had a stronger CF to partner him (instead of Dantas) we could have done a lot better.  

I personally believe Davies may not be automatic for next year, the club may not even offer him a contract

Doesn't ottawa need to have a minimum amount of canadians on the team?

I don't think that there is a minimum amount that has been said publicly for NASL teams. I could be wrong, but it's more because the CSA felt that it's not needed, because every team in NASL will sign and play multiple Canadians. It was the case before and it is still now.

Ottawa has right now 1 Canadian signed and 5 more who were there last year who haven't been told no yet officially.

Two more Canadians today, good stuff!

Americans count as domestics, and I haven't heard of a minimum number of Canadians rule. The one rule that everybody pays attention to is that there are 7 foreign player spots, of which 4 are taken so far, and 2 more are likely to be taken by Oliver and Woodbine, if they re-sign. They were 2 of our best players.

• 3 weeks later...

From the Marc Dos Santos interview with Marc Tougas on la90eminute http://www.la90eminute.com/les-resolutions-2015-de-mds/

Ubiparipovic should be back next year

Expect Ottawa to sign more veterans.

Expect Ottawa to have less Canadians. Dos Santos has said that the club is not a charity and that he wants to win. He said "What will make the fans more happy? Miss the playoffs and playing tons of Canadians or winning the championship with foreigners?"

Waiting for the obligatory #FuryFChatesCanada from Lord Bob at any time.

From the Marc Dos Santos interview with Marc Tougas on la90eminute http://www.la90eminute.com/les-resolutions-2015-de-mds/

Ubiparipovic should be back next year

Expect Ottawa to sign more veterans.

Expect Ottawa to have less Canadians. Dos Santos has said that the club is not a charity and that he wants to win. He said "What will make the fans more happy? Miss the playoffs and playing tons of Canadians or winning the championship with foreigners?"

Waiting for the obligatory #FuryFChatesCanada from Lord Bob at any time.

Was surprised Carl Haworth didn't produce last year. In my opinion, the Fury's Canadian players are sub par compared to Edmonton's (Hanson Boakai, Eddie Edward, John Smits, Mallan Roberts etc). I don't blame Dos Santos at this point in time.

Although Ottawa always has the option to develop some good players, or pay for some better Canadian players.....

From my vantage, I don't necessarily like hearing that having and playing Canadian talent is a charity. Assuming talent levels are equal, as long as Ottawa pick the Canadian over the international that viewpoint is okay, but I am concerned that the international will be picked over the Canadian talent (assuming equal ability) every time. 

Hopefully the Fury's academy can start identifying, developing, and then promoting local talent to the first team. Does anyone know where they are planning to play in 2015? I could not tell from their website.

Does anyone know where they are planning to play in 2015? I could not tell from their website.

It should still be Lansdowne Park / TD Place.

I do agree with the sentiment of Canadians should have the advantage if equal to international players. I don't blame Marc if he brings quality players who fill roles better Canadians, as long as opportunities for local players don't start getting hindered because the club would rather sign journeyman US players.

I haven't seen anything to indicate trouble for Canadian players just yet, so I'm hopefull the Fury can keep developing local talent.

Didn't Edmonton have only two Canadians in the starting lineup by the end of last year as well? Good thing MLS is around for Canadian players.

Really, none of the 5 pro teams are starting enough Canadians for my liking, but here are the numbers. 

- Edmonton had 64 starting appearances by Canadians: Edward (21), Smits (20), Roberts (12), Nonni (11), Jonke (9), Boakai (2), Jalali (1), Mortotsi (1), Farago (1)

- Ottawa had 90 starting appearances by Canadians: Trafford (26), Beckie (19), Davies (16), Haworth (15), Mayard (7), Estaquio (4), Fresenga (3)

Compare that to the MLS teams:

- Toronto had 64 starting appearances by Canadians: Osorio (24), Henry (19), Bekker (13), DeRo (4), Issey (2), Morgan (2)

- Montreal had 48 starting appearances by Canadians: Bernier (20), Ouimette (12), Tissot (7), Issey (5), Gagnon-Lapare (3), Jackson-Hamel (1)

- Vancouver had 23 starting appearances by Canadians: Teibert (22), Adekugbe (1)

Smits and Edward Roberts were the regular starters for FC Edmonton in 2014. Roberts was regular near the end as well. Not knowing the complete roster for Edmonton I would predict that Smits' number of starts will be reduced with the signing of van Oekel. Roberts should go up based on his performance to end 2014, as by the end of the year he started 6 of the last 7. I can see Nonni and Jonke starting a similar number of games and if Boakai stays his number will increase. 

Regarding Ottawa, to my knowledge only Trafford and Haworth are still around from 2014, so that is a big old question mark.

Archived