2015 Ottawa Fury FC NASL Season

ironcub14

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now it's being announced that Philip Dos Santos is an assistant with Fort Lauderdale. After all the momentum the Fury had made with their run to the Soccer Bowl, this offseason is just a shit show for the club. What's the point of competing in a league when you just refuse to compete for players or coaches and let them walk for more money?

http://www.strikers.com/news/2015/12/15/phillip-dos-santos-headlines-technical-staff-appointments

A is offered $100,00 US to play for ? or $100,00 CDN to play for Fury  where do you think A is going to go. 

Remember all the money coming into the Fury such as sponsors/tickets etc is in CDN$  which means  it is costing them almost 30% more to pay the equivalent as a US team has to pay.

8 minutes ago, mianjo said:

A is offered $100,00 US to play for ? or $100,00 CDN to play for Fury  where do you think A is going to go. 

Remember all the money coming into the Fury such as sponsors/tickets etc is in CDN$  which means  it is costing them almost 30% more to pay the equivalent as a US team has to pay.

The only thing that might be cheaper for Ottawa and Edmonton may be healthcare (at least I hope the provinces cover the players instead of the clubs). There was an article (I forget where) saying that NASL teams didn't always cover everything for medical insurance.

10 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

So the club is cutting back on wages. Either they didn't make enough at the gate last year, they gave away a ton of tickets, or the team is just being cheap.

Players are getting paid in CAD and now see how our dollar has plumetted compared to the American one and they want to play down South now. I'm sure that FC Edmonton has the same problem. Difference is with Edmonton is that  most of their players wouldn't get a look elsewhere. 

Well it looks like they are not making enough money because why would they be letting go so many of their better players, not a good look for the Fury it can have an effect on attendance where fans will see this as a franchise in trouble financially and on the verge of going under.

Chris Hoffley has reported  "Dalglish said: "We made Richie Ryan an offer to be our high-ever paid player and he turned it down"   If a player wants to leave there is not much you can do about it, both Ryan and Richter were under contract to the Fury for 2016 and still wanted out, at least the Fury have been financially compensated for those 2 players.  It was reported that Heinnemann's contract was for $150,000, with Tampa, that is about a fifth of the complete Fury player budget.  Ottawa cant compete with that, unless they can get some sugar daddy to come in and finance them.

Can't blame the players leaving for contracts that pay more and in US dollars, especially those with families. Can't blame the owner(s), either. Pugh and company absolutely have to run the club within revenue projections, while paying US dollars for state-side travelling costs; in fact, it worse than that because next year that includes travel to Porto Rico twice. 

I can't see either Edmonton or Ottawa surviving, unfortunately.

Everything going on with the club right now really makes me appreciate what MDS was able to do with the team this past season.  I always got the sense that a big portion of the tickets were giveaways, and I think the club's decision to schedule most games for Sunday afternoons really hurt (paid) attendance.  Some games were unbearably hot, plus people tend to be busier with family commitments on Sunday afternoons.  I think the explanation for the scheduling was that they couldn't get the football lines off the turf in time for a Saturday evening game if the Redblacks played on a Friday, but the semi-final game showed that it's obviously possible to get the field ready.  Granted, the labour involved would be greater, but I got the feeling that attendance would have been much better with Saturday evening games.  And let's be honest, it's not a matter of ownership not being able to afford to put together a stronger team - it comes down to the group being unwilling to put any money into it.

As for developing players internally, there's no way that can happen under their current structure.  Taking 15 - 19 year olds (and charging them to play) is way too late to develop a player.  Problem is, the original Fury burned too many bridges with the local clubs for the current Fury to be able to get back into youth development.  The whole reason they scrapped their teams at the younger ages was to avoid competing with the local clubs and thereby gain their support in promoting the Fury to the local clubs' members.  But if the Fury were to get back into the younger age groups, they would likely lose the support they are currently getting in giving tickets away.  Even after scrapping their younger teams, there were grumblings among local clubs about the Fury going out of their way to push kids to one specific club (most likely done to specifically to spite another club).

In my opinion, if ownership is unwilling to spend the money to field a decent team, then the only remaining option is to develop their own players.  In that case, the first step would have to be for Pugh to take his ego and personal vendettas and go.

30 minutes ago, mianjo said:

Fantastic! From a Voyageurs point of view, these are the players on the Fury that I want to see, along with Haworth. Appreciating that Fury supporters are upset with losing Heinemann, Ryan, Ubiparipovic, and others, I would have been much more upset if either of these two players had left, especially Eustaquio.

The Fury now have officially 11 players, 3 goalies, 3 defenders, 3 midfielders and 2 forwards.

Of the 3 goalies we know Peiser will play every minute as long as he is healthy, the 3 defenders Alves, Falvey and Trafford will play every minute if not injured or as   Fussball_eh  hints  Falvey might not be here, and if he is not i doubt Alves would stay. Anyway  3 midfielders De Guzman, Eustaquio and  Poltronieri.  Eustaquio and De Guzman should play every minute if healthy or not involved in Team Canada games, Poltronieri  was only a part timer this season and was last year with Atlanta.  2 forwards Haworth and Paulo scored a grand total  of 6 goals, Paolo did play in 29 out of 30 games and Haworth in 26 of 30 games this past season so should be involved in most games.

So basically we have a goalie, 3 defenders, 2 midfilders and 2 forwards and 1 sub goalie and 1 sub midfielder.  8 starters and 2 subs.

We are alittle short of players.  I really cant see any US based players wanting to move north unless they are being paid in US$ and then that is going to open up a whole new can of worms for the Cdn based players.

2 hours ago, mianjo said:

Fury FC prez John Pugh to fans: "Be patient, trust us -- there's some very exciting things coming down the pipe."

This  confirms it! C-League is happening!!!!!

Lol, what else can explain the mass exodus of American players .....and what else can possibly be on the level of "exciting" as a C-league annoucement? ;)

Archived