V Cup: We've come a long way baby!

This is the 12th year of the Voyageurs Cup. I don't think any of us who were around when the trophy was created could ever imagine that it would develop to what it has become in little over a decade. 18 000 plus at BC Place, a national tv broadcast, a packed bar in Montreal with the game on every wall and legendary players like Alessandro Nesta competing for it. There are many things still wrong in Canadian soccer but the V Cup is a true success story.

AC Milan congratulates Nesta on its website: http://www.acmilan.com/en/news/breaking_news_show/41539

A picture of Nesta and his teammates with the Cup:

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fpbs.twimg.com%2Fmedia%2FBLfN7uLCUAAhuxy.jpg

More pictures can be seen here: http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/news/2013/05/twitter-reactions-impact-are-canadian-champions

I think all of us who joined up later owe a debt to people like Grizzly, Rudi, Reza, Sergio, everyone who helped get the Voyageurs and the Voyageurs Cup off the ground all those years ago. Not many people have done as much for Canadian soccer with so little recognition.

I notice international (non-american and non-kiwi) players and coaches take this tournament seriously which is a surprise for me. I guess winning your nation's cup and playing in Champions league is a big deal for those who grew up in soccer nation.

Hopefully one day we get 20,000 plus fans at these V-Cup games.

Congrats to Voyageurs for starting something special.

Everytime I see the V's cup being held aloft by the Champs I get an overwhelming feeling of pride at what we as Voyageurs have done to promote the game here in our beloved Country.

From It's humble begginings, to what it's evolved into, I'm overjoyed at being a very small part in bringing about this Beautiful cup, and I'd also like give a big THANK YOU to guys like Grizzly, Rudi, Reza, Sergio etc. for coming up with the idea and bringing it to fruition back in the day!!

Our humble competition made the AC Milan website? Holy cow. Who would have thought that? Having Nesta around has fringe benefits. If only we had won and got on the front page and TV reports in Korea :(

Thanks to all the V's who predate me in this group for getting this started. I think that little seed has turned into a mighty oak (or should that be maple?).

Cheers

Great match, even with its limited Canadian content it has to be said that pair played their part in what is sure to be a classic.

Gawd, tough luck 'Caps. Couldn't buy a coupe on the sly, not even with Nigel Wright's help!

I've got the Veez Cup in my hands

I've-got-the-Veez-Cup-in-my-hands

I'm going to Mexico, yes I am

with-the-Veez-Cup-in-my-hands

Yeah, I'll echo the sentiments here and say that the relative johnny-come-latelys like myself owe a big debt of gratitude to those of you who laid the groundwork in complete obscurity those many years ago. So, thanks.

+1 It's pretty remarkable looking back at this.

http://www.cansoc.org/showthread.php?33919-Voyageurs-Cup-Contributors-Web-Page

Lots of folks contributed $, some have also represented the Vs as presenters of the trophy. Danny (DJT), took the idea from a concept to a proposal and Dwayne (Winnipeg Fury) undertook most of the organization and adminstration work associated with the acquisition and care and feeding of the trophy. Every V, past, present and future should consider it "our" trophy irrespective of whether they were around at inception. And every V should use the term Voyageurs Cup when referring to the competition or trophy rather than that of the sponsor du jour. The sponsors get enough credit through the various media coverage and often the name and the history of the trophy gets lost.

I notice international (non-american and non-kiwi) players and coaches take this tournament seriously which is a surprise for me. I guess winning your nation's cup and playing in Champions league is a big deal for those who grew up in soccer nation.

Hopefully one day we get 20,000 plus fans at these V-Cup games.

Congrats to Voyageurs for starting something special.

Well, at the end of the day, We all get a Mutley when it comes to medals.

When you hang your boots up and start coaching the kids, and they ask you what your career was like. "telling them that you played in this or that league for 10-15 years is all well and good but often it goes in one ear and out the other. However you can show 'em a SHINEY on a string... well, you have them eating out of the palm of your hand.

Pro, Semipro or straight up amateur player, I bet the guys holding medals for the V feel as proud of those as the boys in Wigan do with their, as no doubt do the "Scottish' lads who won the Mini World Cup in Edmonton this year.

You can't put a 15 years on a Trophy shelf, but you can a medal.

Winning any Medal you actually work for is a BIG DEAL

I think all of us who joined up later owe a debt to people like Grizzly, Rudi, Reza, Sergio, everyone who helped get the Voyageurs and the Voyageurs Cup off the ground all those years ago. Not many people have done as much for Canadian soccer with so little recognition.

this!!! Thank you very much. The Voyageurs Cup is by far the highlight of domestic football for me. One new team next year and who know where it will end up.

Yes, it is the Voyageur's Cup and not the ***** Canadian Championship. I was thinking about what it would take to reclaim that name and end this practice of selling corporate naming rights and whether that was a battle worth fighting.

For example, nobody would accept having the Stanley Cup playoffs called the Ford Motor Company Hockey Championship or the Grey Cup called the Rona Canadian Football Championship. Even in some other sport championships where the event name has been partly whored out to a corporate sponsor, they still retain the name of the trophy. Examples of this are the MasterCard Memorial Cup, the Tim Horton's Brier and the Scotties Tournament of Hearts. And no, I am not suggesting we go with the ***** Voyageur's Cup.

Getting back to soccer, our neighbours to the south have the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup and I don't see it being renamed for a corporate sponsor. Although you could make a case that there would be a better fit there with a corporate sponsor whose name is a contraction of the American Way than the fit for that sponsor with a CANADIAN championship. Personally I think the issue is not so much with who the presenting sponsor is as long as the competition is named the Voyageur's Cup. In the future the competition could be referred to as the Voyageur's Cup presented by (Insert Sponsor).

I agree Sport Shaman! I think the best thing we can do is always mention it as the Voyageurs Cup. Whether on discussion forums, facebook, twitter etc. Eventually it will stick.

By the way, I think the Memorial Cup has whored it self out. It is always referred to as the "Mastercard Memorial Cup". Which is a shame.

The Voyageurs Cup made an appearance with Patrice Bernier yesterday on the Quebec morning show, Salut Bonjour (time to brush up on your high school French anglo Voyageurs :) ). Other than the actual games I can't recall the Voyageurs Cup making a previous appearance on television though maybe someone else can (if you know of one post it). Regardless it looks like our Cup is well on its way to becoming a star of the Canadian sports scene.

http://tva.canoe.ca/emissions/salutbonjour/chroniques/sb/entrevue/190686/patrice-bernier

• 4 weeks later...

I am not sure how this slipped through the cracks and wasn't posted on the V's board earlier but, I was reading Maclean's magazine over brunch this past weekend and what do I see but a nearly full page article about the Voyageur's Cup featuring our very own Lord Bob. Not only that but throughout the article it is referred to as the VOYAGEUR'S CUP with no mention of the ***** Canadian Championship. Way to go Ben!!

http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/06/13/it-can-be-bitter-to-drink-from-the-same-cup/

I am not sure how this slipped through the cracks and wasn't posted on the V's board earlier but, I was reading Maclean's magazine over brunch this past weekend and what do I see but a nearly full page article about the Voyageur's Cup featuring our very own Lord Bob. Not only that but throughout the article it is referred to as the VOYAGEUR'S CUP with no mention of the ***** Canadian Championship. Way to go Ben!!

Great stuff.

I am not sure how this slipped through the cracks and wasn't posted on the V's board earlier but, I was reading Maclean's magazine over brunch this past weekend and what do I see but a nearly full page article about the Voyageur's Cup featuring our very own Lord Bob.

Because nobody reads magazines anymore and I'm still too traumatized from the presentation to talk about it, I think. (It is a good article, though.)

Because nobody reads magazines anymore and I'm still too traumatized from the presentation to talk about it, I think. (It is a good article, though.)

I'd be drunk for like a week if I had to give the V Cup to Montreal. And end up banging a fugly one.

Very nice. This is online only, not in the print version of the magazine, correct?

Archived