NEW Mother of all Canadians Abroad

madmonte

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1860 have a rich oil sheik as their owner, surely they could have paid a few hundred thousand for him. oh well...

de Jong must have something lined up otherwise why would he agree to kill his contract a few days before the transfer window ends.  A free transfer will faciliate that.

Augsburg clearly wanted him out.  The strange stories over the last few days about possible reconciliation despite de Jong's infidelity in training with another team smack's of communication department nonesense.  Perhaps it was to cover up the fact that they are letting go a player who was loyal to them since their B2 days and who just signed a 2 year extention.  It was clear that Weinzierl and de Jong had a falling out and de Jong would not be getting any playing time this year.   With Weinzierl the hot young German coach of the Bundesliga the team would alway back the coach over the player. 

de Jong must have something lined up otherwise why would he agree to kill his contract a few days before the transfer window ends.  A free transfer will faciliate that.

Augsburg clearly wanted him out.  The strange stories over the last few days about possible reconciliation despite de Jong's infidelity in training with another team smack's of communication department nonesense.  Perhaps it was to cover up the fact that they are letting go a player who was loyal to them since their B2 days and who just signed a 2 year extention.  It was clear that Weinzierl and de Jong had a falling out and de Jong would not be getting any playing time this year.   With Weinzierl the hot young German coach of the Bundesliga the team would alway back the coach over the player. 

Yeah, you are probably right.

Indian League MVP goes to English League 2.  MLS guys are regularly getting looked at by premier league squads.  Give you guys an idea how much MLS has grown, yet?  

I realize India league has a long way to go, but it's the exact kind of league some posters on the board would be quick to compare MLS to, and there is no comparison at this point.

Yup, there is a clear shift in the type of players MLS clubs are signing. I remember when Darren O'dea was signed by TFC and it was a big deal. Now, they are signing guys like the Polish international and Belgian international. Guys with similar, if not better resumes then what O'dea has. These signings are now fairly commonplace. Last year philly signed a french midfielder who's in his prime and was captaining his side in leigue 1, and it's not a huge deal, it's more like "good pick up, will help the squad".

Indian League MVP goes to English League 2.  MLS guys are regularly getting looked at by premier league squads.  Give you guys an idea how much MLS has grown, yet?  

MLS is better, but let's not get crazy.  There are still plenty of example of EPL / Euro flops coming back as DPs in MLS or, at the very least, as "stars".  If I remember correctly, you were touting how Kei Kamara had "stepped right into" an EPL starting 11 a couple of years ago.  A couple of years later, he's back in MLS, after a rather sub-par stretch in the Championship.

MLS is better, but let's not get crazy.  There are still plenty of example of EPL / Euro flops coming back as DPs in MLS or, at the very least, as "stars".  If I remember correctly, you were touting how Kei Kamara had "stepped right into" an EPL starting 11 a couple of years ago.  A couple of years later, he's back in MLS, after a rather sub-par stretch in the Championship.

Kei Kamara did step into a Norwich side halfway through an EPL season and contributed... and I wouldn't consider his stretch at Middlesborough as "sub-par", he notched 4 on the season. Not bad for a former NCAA DII player, if Akindele did the same in Europe many on this forum would be singing his praise (before the USA switch I have you). I use him as an example because him and Kamara played at similar levels in their early 20's. 

Kamara was one of the three best offensive players in MLS for several seasons and his ceiling turned out to be "useful Championship piece". The list of MLS players who've gone to the EPL in a storm of hype and washed out is far, far longer than the list of guys who've made it. (This is probably true for all lower-level leagues.)

I realize India league has a long way to go, but it's the exact kind of league some posters on the board would be quick to compare MLS to, and there is no comparison at this point.

No posters on this board would ever compare MLS to the Indian League which just started a half year ago and features mainly old talent and Indian players (remember years ago Chetri couldn't cut SKC and he's the best Indian player).  I think you're making a pretty big assumption with that one.  Also keep in mind there are two Indian leagues, Hume was playing in an experimental league whereas they've had a domestic league for years prior.

I don't see how comparing MLS to India proves MLS is growing leaps and bounds, especially considering India is a black hole for footy.

MLS is somewhere between League One and Championship, and some young players get picked up by PL clubs but the veterans/regulars find themselves in B2 or L1/Championship level when they head to Europe (Buddle, Findley, Shea, Adu, Agudelo, Parkhurst, Hainault, Jakovic).

MLS is steadily growing but it seems like everyone wants to say it's grown to be a top 10 league every few months and it hasn't.  It will be a decade or so more before that conversation is reasonable.

Kamara was one of the three best offensive players in MLS for several seasons and his ceiling turned out to be "useful Championship piece". The list of MLS players who've gone to the EPL in a storm of hype and washed out is far, far longer than the list of guys who've made it. (This is probably true for all lower-level leagues.)

Tell me if I miss anyone:

Good European experience:

McBride

Movsisyan

Najar

Dempsey

Bradley

Guzan

Howard

Cameron

Mixed European experience:

Kljestan

Beasley

W. Johnson

Kamara

Holden

Ream

Donavan

Espinoza

Edu

Montero

Hainualt

Altidore

Parkhurst

Buddle

Cooper

Davies

Hainualt

Poor experience:

Pappa

D. Richards

Findley

Rogers

Barrett

E. Johnson

Shea

Adu

Agudelo

At the time I posted that he was looking good in the EPL.  Kamara is one example, he did turn out to be subpar I agree.  But they are getting more and more looks.  Yeah, I'll admit it, I tend to inflate it a touch, but I'm trying to make a point, I'm certainly not the only poster around here guilty of it ;)  Either way, I think the days of assuming Finland, Norway, Uruguay etc are better leagues than MLS just by the fact that they are Europe/South America...those days are finally over around here, right? 

But yes, you are definitely correct, let's not get carried away :)  I can be a little sardonic in my messages, so yeah it can taint my end result, and even dilute my message, so I apologize for that.

The fact that MLS is starting to turn into a buyer rather than a seller COULD prove good for the league, as the local talent will have to step up.  Some would argue that it is costing local talent opportunities.  

But the fact is, I find it hard to argue the improvement of MLS as a league to be past the days where we are still comparing it to 4th tier Germany.

Edit: Oh, and nice memory btw!  I find some memories of guys on here amazing, I can't remember what I had for breakfast, hell didn't even remember posting that about Kamara till you reminded me!  F$#@ alzheimers running in my family, sometimes I think I'm going mental lol

That's a good list, Obinna, though I'll slightly differ with some of your evaluations (Dempsey and Bradley both washed out in the end and Movsisyan went from MLS to Denmark, rather than a top league, and has only gotten as high as Russia.) What's interesting is that many of your EPL successes are pretty old-school MLS players. McBride left Columbus in 2003, Howard left New York/New Jersey in 2003, even Brad Guzan is a 2008. A good advertisement for MLS's talent level? Probably! But certainly no indication that the league is charging forward.

At the time I posted that he was looking good in the EPL.  Kamara is one example, he did turn out to be subpar I agree.  But they are getting more and more looks.  Yeah, I'll admit it, I tend to inflate it a touch, but I'm trying to make a point, I'm certainly not the only poster around here guilty of it ;)  Either way, I think the days of assuming Finland, Norway, Uruguay etc are better leagues than MLS just by the fact that they are Europe/South America...those days are finally over around here, right? 

But yes, you are definitely correct, let's not get carried away :)  I can be a little sardonic in my messages, so yeah it can taint my end result, and even dilute my message, so I apologize for that.

The fact that MLS is starting to turn into a buyer rather than a seller COULD prove good for the league, as the local talent will have to step up.  Some would argue that it is costing local talent opportunities.  

But the fact is, I find it hard to argue the improvement of MLS as a league to be past the days where we are still comparing it to 4th tier Germany.

Edit: Oh, and nice memory btw!  I find some memories of guys on here amazing, I can't remember what I had for breakfast, hell didn't even remember posting that about Kamara till you reminded me!  F$#@ alzheimers running in my family, sometimes I think I'm going mental lol

HA!  Well, I'm a little bit crazy, what can I say?!  Must explain why I'm such a die hard CMNT fan ... keep coming back for more punishment, with only the slightest hope of some future elation.  :)

Don't get me wrong, if we had 20 starters in MLS, I'd be ecstatic.  But I'm not yet ready to say that it's a top 10 league;  more like it's roughly on par with a bunch of other leagues that are outside the top 10-12 leagues.

That's a good list, Obinna, though I'll slightly differ with some of your evaluations (Dempsey and Bradley both washed out in the end and Movsisyan went from MLS to Denmark, rather than a top league, and has only gotten as high as Russia.) What's interesting is that many of your EPL successes are pretty old-school MLS players. McBride left Columbus in 2003, Howard left New York/New Jersey in 2003, even Brad Guzan is a 2008. A good advertisement for MLS's talent level? Probably! But certainly no indication that the league is charging forward.

Yup, was going to post something pretty similar ... nice list, I agree for the most part except for a few players.  But, most importantly, look at the successes!  They are not exactly increasing markedly in number over time!

HA!  Well, I'm a little bit crazy, what can I say?!  Must explain why I'm such a die hard CMNT fan ... keep coming back for more punishment, with only the slightest hope of some future elation.  :)

Don't get me wrong, if we had 20 starters in MLS, I'd be ecstatic.  But I'm not yet ready to say that it's a top 10 league;  more like it's roughly on par with a bunch of other leagues that are outside the top 10-12 leagues.

I know this is a pointless evaluation, and I've been trying to avoid this...but if I was to honestly evaluate, I'd put Liga MX on par with Turkey, Netherlands, Ukraine...and I'd put MLS just behind that, like Greece or so.  But ahead of say, Finland, Norway, etc...

Just an opinion.  I think if we pictured it, and had them ACTUALLY playing Champions league football, yeah, Real Madrid would kick any MLS teams' butt, but yeah they beat the crap out of Greece and Turkey's teams too, generally.

Mexico and MLS would definitely be competitive and if placed in UEFA Champions League and Europa League would have a couple teams winning a couple games, and maybe even getting into early knockout rounds before running into the real giants and petering out.  That's my honest evaluation.

MLS teams can barely get out of their CONCACAF groups and you think they could make the early knockout rounds of UCL? Mexican teams for sure, but until MLS shows something on this continent let's hold our horses.  Mexican teams don't just beat MLS teams, they embarrass them.

MLS is closer to the Costa Rican league than to the Mexican league, that is reality.

Archived