NEW Mother of all Canadians Abroad

madmonte

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

David Monsalve has signed with America De Cali in Colombia. America is Colombia's version of River Plate, in where perrenial powerhouse was relegated to the second division a few years back. The only difference between America and River is that America has not been able to get back to the first division. Overall, feel this is a positive move for David. This article says that he has been on trial (near the bottom). However, it is a done deal as per Monsalve's IG post: http://www.elpais.com.co/elpais/deportes/noticias/ayron-valle-firmaria-con-america-cali

To be clear on America de Cali's promotion status, most sites are unclear, but I should note here that Colombia uses an aggregate Apertura/Clausura table.  On this table, America finished 5th, and will be again in Primera B for 2015.  I noticed on the other thread people seemed unclear about their promotion chances...Promotion from Primera B has already been decided except for the playoff between the B and A teams.

Oops thanks, correcting.

About Monsalve again, it should be noted that Alexis Viera will probably be their starter next year, not Monsalve, if he does indeed play there again.  Also want to note that America is only really in the 2nd tier because of huge financial problems, but historically are a bigger club.  For example, in the Apertura, they averaged over 18,000 fans per game (I think normal for them is about 8000, this number was high for them).  As opposed to Finland, where Oulu would normally see less than 1000 fans per game.  So at the very least, Monsalve should enjoy the improved atmosphere.

http://www.football-lineups.com/tourn/Colombia_Apertura_Primera_B_2014/Stats/Home_Avg_Atte/

Monsalve was brought in to fight for the #2 spot, but the #1 Viera is going to be 37 soon.  Anything can happen.

I have no doubt that Monsalve will immediately be one of the best keepers in Colombia Div 2.  The keeping and defending will be below NASL level in general.  He just needs a chance to prove himself.     

Oakleigh Cannons FC list Nathaniel Foster-Bowen as being in their squad. This is the level 2 NPL.

Should we add him to the list?

Just to be clear, the NPL Victoria is a semi-professional league. The average player at Oakleigh wouldn't be making much more than $5K per season. They generally play in front of home crowds made up of a few dozen middle-aged Greek men in suburban Melbourne.

Apparently Roger Thompson, of course last with Mariehamn, has signed with KSV Baunatal, joining Tristan Watson there.  He joins them on a free transfer with a contract that goes until the end of June.

Adding Tory Pennycooke-Morgan to New Zealand's Hawke Bay United.

Apparently Roger Thompson, of course last with Mariehamn, has signed with KSV Baunatal, joining Tristan Watson there.  He joins them on a free transfer with a contract that goes until the end of June.

Adding Tory Pennycooke-Morgan to New Zealand's Hawke Bay United.

This article from mid-November confirms this. Funny story actually. Roger was just visiting his buddy Tristan and joined him for a couple training sessions. The club was impressed and wanted to sign him. It does say that there were a bunch of legal considerations that had to be dealt with because Roger had played in Finland in the same year. Do you think these are resolved now?

@madmonte . Did you hear any updated news on this?

His name popped up on transfermrkt as a confirmed signing, Jon.  Of course these sometimes turn out to be incorrect, but I'm going to take it at face value...if it turns out to be untrue, I'll remove, but I think it's a legit move.

Yeah, I would tend to agree. That's exciting. I was already worried about the amount of Canadians leaving Germany, but here come reinforcements :-).

If I'm being frank, I was hoping for a stronger move coming out of Finland than this for Thompson...like midtable 3. Liga or something.  But in THAT position, he would probably still be fighting for a spot...I think at this team he walks right into a starter's role right after the German winter break.  Let's remember those clubs won't see action again until the end of February, so he'll have plenty of time in training to show that he is the starting CB

Archived