NEW Mother of all Canadians Abroad

madmonte

A dude on Reddit linked me this article on Piette from October 16. My Spain Spanish isn't the best but from what I could glean and translate a bit into broken English, it said he's hurt. But what is troubling is that apparently he returned to Canada and the Deportivo B coach doesn't know what happened to him.

http://www.axogada.com/index.php/actualidad/tercera/7300-samuel-piette-el-canadiense-en-paradero-desconocid

Could anyone guess what exactly his situation is? The article mentions he's looked good in the friendlies he played for the side.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like his club (or a Deportivo fan forum)  has translated it loosely into English here: http://www.deportivo-la-coruna.com/n-news.php?cid=6299

SAMUEL PIETTE

“I have as many information as you. At the club we have little information. The last thing we knew at the club is that he had problems to leave the country. The case of Sam is something that all, Ernesto, Richard and Fernando Vidal, understood as a fantastic signing. He’s a player that, been only 20, has been international with Canada in nine opportunities and looks promising. Even Víctor [Fernández] told me that Benito Floro phoned him and said that we should take care of the lad, because he’s a pearl.”

“We were close to having him available, his residency was almost done, then we played two friendly games and he suffered a shoulder injury. Since the residency was pending we decided to send him to Canada to fix it, we have information until that point. He’s in Canada and it seems that there are problems to leave. He should have been here on last week, but hasn’t arrived yet. I talked to Ernesto on Thursday and it seems he has problems to leave the country. We are willing to see him, because he’s wonderful. He played in Ferrol with the first team and people told me that he was the best. He’s a little midfielder that’s strong and that’s a pearl. He already trained with Víctor and he liked him a lot. The pity is to face the structure of a country. If it’s necessary then I will go to Canada and I will fix his papers [he laughed]”

It looks like his club (or a Deportivo fan forum)  has translated it loosely into English here: http://www.deportivo-la-coruna.com/n-news.php?cid=6299

SAMUEL PIETTE

“I have as many information as you. At the club we have little information. The last thing we knew at the club is that he had problems to leave the country. The case of Sam is something that all, Ernesto, Richard and Fernando Vidal, understood as a fantastic signing. He’s a player that, been only 20, has been international with Canada in nine opportunities and looks promising. Even Víctor [Fernández] told me that Benito Floro phoned him and said that we should take care of the lad, because he’s a pearl.”

“We were close to having him available, his residency was almost done, then we played two friendly games and he suffered a shoulder injury. Since the residency was pending we decided to send him to Canada to fix it, we have information until that point. He’s in Canada and it seems that there are problems to leave. He should have been here on last week, but hasn’t arrived yet. I talked to Ernesto on Thursday and it seems he has problems to leave the country. We are willing to see him, because he’s wonderful. He played in Ferrol with the first team and people told me that he was the best. He’s a little midfielder that’s strong and that’s a pearl. He already trained with Víctor and he liked him a lot. The pity is to face the structure of a country. If it’s necessary then I will go to Canada and I will fix his papers [he laughed]”

Hmm... seems like he returned to Canada to get treatment, and has since run into paperwork issues. Hope it gets sorted out soon.

Did I understand the translation correctly in that he is ready for the first team? Or just to get some minutes with Deportivo B?

I think he was playing with the first team at Ferrol ... and would be playing with Deportivo B.  But the fact that the article is so gushing is nice to hear.  All the more reasoning that this is so puzzling!

I think realistically I'd cap the list a bit differently.  I mean what does 6th tier do for us honestly in any level?  We're not going to call them up.

Ranked 1-3: (ie, England, Germany, Spain) they will be tracked to the 4rd tier.
Ranked 4-6: Will be tracked to the 3rd tier.
Ranked 7-30: Will be tracked to the 2rd tier
Ranked 31 or lower: Will be tracked to the 1st tier only.
For youth systems looking for U-18 or higher.

I know we like to have a big list we should be realistic as to what contributes to our player pool.  It's unlikely anyone below that level ever gets called isn't it?

I think realistically I'd cap the list a bit differently.  I mean what does 6th tier do for us honestly in any level?  We're not going to call them up.

Ranked 1-3: (ie, England, Germany, Spain) they will be tracked to the 4rd tier.

Ranked 4-6: Will be tracked to the 3rd tier.

Ranked 7-30: Will be tracked to the 2rd tier

Ranked 31 or lower: Will be tracked to the 1st tier only.

For youth systems looking for U-18 or higher.

I know we like to have a big list we should be realistic as to what contributes to our player pool.  It's unlikely anyone below that level ever gets called isn't it?

Believe it or not, I massively trimmed the criteria already a year ago to get it to the point it is.  I'm fine with the workload of the list with the criteria I created.  

Interesting that Benito calls him a "pearl" (gem?) but he calls Alderson and U20 players over Piette.

If Piette is injured, then it`s normal that they don`t call him up. If he can`t train for his club, how in the hell could he play for his country?

Interesting that Benito calls him a "pearl" (gem?) but he calls Alderson and U20 players over Piette.

If Piette is injured, then it`s normal that they don`t call him up. If he can`t train for his club, how in the hell could he play for his country?

I'm going to assume he wants Piette to resolve his situation first before calling him for a friendly that isn't in Canada. I don't expect Alderson to see any playing time anyway.

Here are some new ones, actually some may have been mentioned I didnt really check.

Emmaouil Zabazis -  Iraklis  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014%E2%80%9315_Iraklis_F.C._season#In 

Stephen Antunes Eustáquio - Torrense

Billy Bitihene -  Brescia primevera http://www.transfermarkt.com.br/billy-bitihene/leistungsdaten/spieler/305853 

Daniel Marinho - Varzim hhtp://www.futebol365.pt/noticia/105359 

here is an odd one.

Jordan Alexandre Grilo Santos - SC braga beach soccer team. 

Here are some new ones, actually some may have been mentioned I didnt really check.

Emmaouil Zabazis -  Iraklis  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014%E2%80%9315_Iraklis_F.C._season#In 

Stephen Antunes Eustáquio - Torrense

Billy Bitihene -  Brescia primevera http://www.transfermarkt.com.br/billy-bitihene/leistungsdaten/spieler/305853 

Daniel Marinho - Varzim hhtp://www.futebol365.pt/noticia/105359 

here is an odd one.

Jordan Alexandre Grilo Santos - SC braga beach soccer team. 

Thanks so much Jordan, currently looking into this.

1) Sort of confused about Zabasis, wouldn't he be with a youth setup?  He hasn't cracked the lineup sheets yet, anyway

2) Is Torrense the Brazil club Gremio Esportivo Torrense?

3) Would Bitihene be on the U-19?  Brescia actually has a U-19 and a U-19 II ... Italian programs and their extreme rosters lol...the link was broken so I'll check transfer for myself as well :)

4) Added Marinho

(Edit: FIgured out Bitihen, he is with the U-19

Thanks so much Jordan, currently looking into this.

1) Sort of confused about Zabasis, wouldn't he be with a youth setup?  He hasn't cracked the lineup sheets yet, anyway

2) Is Torrense the Brazil club Gremio Esportivo Torrense?

3) Would Bitihene be on the U-19?  Brescia actually has a U-19 and a U-19 II ... Italian programs and their extreme rosters lol...the link was broken so I'll check transfer for myself as well :)

4) Added Marinho

(Edit: FIgured out Bitihen, he is with the U-19, which actually happens to be the fifth tier of Italian football anyways now that they combined the Lega systems)

Torrense looks to be lower division Portuguese, his brother is Mauro from Fury. 

the Greek one appeared to be a summer transfer and was registered at League 1 Ontario team from what i saw, also found his name to be spelled a few different ways.   

Torrense looks to be lower division Portuguese, his brother is Mauro from Fury. 

the Greek one appeared to be a summer transfer and was registered at League 1 Ontario team from what i saw, also found his name to be spelled a few different ways.   

Oh Portugal...k let me look again

As for Iraklis,gonna look again at that too

Edit: Okay, found Torreense in Portugal...checking it ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014%E2%80%9315_Campeonato_Nacional )

Okay...he has not cracked the lineup for Torreense in any way yet this year...making it hard to gather whether he is youth setup or main squad...Torreense is third tier Portugal as is, those teams, it's difficult to track youth systems.  I may wait until he cracks a more substantial roster to attempt to track him, the actual main roster for Torreense would count.  You sure dredge up the obscure ones jordan lol

Iraklis...checking again...one min

Ok Found it

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/iraklis-thessaloniki/startseite/verein/47

Adding...appears to be dual nationality and will be coded blue as such

Archived