Toronto FC changes for 2013

Loud Mouth Soup

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Johnson and Kocic to Portland for the 3rd overall pick. Link

I thought this draft wasn't very deep. Seems like a lot to give up.

TFC will likely give up one of the two picks. Even if they don't, the relative "depth" of the draft shouldn't matter when you're talking about picks #1 and #3.

If we can get 2 generation addidas players out of this it's going to be good for us. We can take that keeper from UCconn along with another position player without having a budget charge.

ANOTHER keeper?!?! With Frei, Hall, Roberts, and now adding Bendik, the last position we need to draft for is Keeper. Even if they manage to loan out Roberts we still have a surplus of keepers.

Might be a decent guy to take a chance on if he was out of contract and one could sign him in $80 000 range. I think I would take a pass at $100 000 with $150 000 transfer fee.

this. if TFC does get Ledgerwood for something close to asking price, he'd turn quickly into Dunfield #2 and be hated by TFC supporters (because there has to be at least one player to hate every season)

this. if TFC does get Ledgerwood for something close to asking price, he'd turn quickly into Dunfield #2 and be hated by TFC supporters (because there has to be at least one player to hate every season)

lol, I think most TFC supporters, even the ones that openly hate him, are closet Dunfield fans.

ANOTHER keeper?!?! With Frei, Hall, Roberts, and now adding Bendik, the last position we need to draft for is Keeper. Even if they manage to loan out Roberts we still have a surplus of keepers.

When I wrote that, I didn't know Bendik was coming back. I thought it was just Kocic and Johnson for a 1st and allocation.

With Frei, Bendik and Roberts I agree that the keeper isn't probably our pick. I would rather us keep the picks (especially if Generation Addidas) though and all the budget space we have to fill out the roster.

With 740k of cap space before taking allocation into account and 8 roster spots to go we're in great shape. If you consider that we could take 2 Generation Addidas players without a budget charge that could be 740k for 6 spots that's a lot of room to fill out the roster with some quality.

The roster may look clunky now, but there's certainly potential there.

I like TFC's moves so far, with one major exception. You can pay a player like Justin Braun over 100k, you just can't. TFC still overpaying for crappy players. I'm really disappointed in this move.

For TFC to keep moving in the right decision I'd to see them release Logan Emory. Like it or not, it'd be good for the team if Frings didn't come back. He's just not at the right age/shape to command DP money.

I hope there is some striker help coming back with future moves. Johnson missed his fair share of breakaways (Chad Barrett style) but he still put away a few goals, particularly in the champions league, and unlike just about every other top player on TFC, had an ability to remain healthy & stay on the field for 90 minutes. I'm not happy to see him go unless we get someone else at striker (Braun is not an adequate replacement IMO) - and that indeed may be the plan with the draft picks they've got. I will miss Kocic but can understand why he's gone. And I'd welcome Ledgerwood in a heartbeat, he be a 2000% upgrade over Jeremy Hall (not saying much, but still....)

TFC's roster is still all question marks at this point

Off season needs:

1. A CB partner for O'Dea

2. A midfield

3. Pray that your old forwards aren't broken

1) Hopefully Henry's development is continuing to the point where he may be more ready to take on a starting role? If not, he'll at least be high on the list, but I'm rooting for him, personally.

2) Wonder how serious they are about Ledgerwood, or whether that's just rumors? He certainly won't fix all that's wrong, but on the bright side, Silva was starting to show real promise in the last half of the campaign. Frings really worries me.

3) No kidding, right. Although a healthy, fit Koevermans attached to a healthy fit Hassli could potentially score in bunches, the reality is that, like Vancouver's experiment with Le Toux and Hassli, two players playing too similar a style isn't necessarily a good partnership up front even if both ARE healthy. Time will tell, chemistry can be pretty unpredictable.

Pozniak 2.0. Good utility guy, if the price is right.

Yes that is exactly how I would see him. And the reason I said I would not take him for $100 000 salary plus $150 000 transfer fee is not only that he is not worth it, it would also mean TFC is picking him up for the wrong reasons as a probable starter not a good depth guy. Occasionally a guy like this with the right fit as far as team, style, formation can turn out better than expected but if they are signing him to be a starter that would be one more cause for worry with how the team is being run. That being said, TFC really needs to improve its depth players and sign a few guys like Ledgerwood. The one constant that we have seen in 6 years of being a bad MLS team is that there has almost never been one game in which TFC did not have at least one or more players on the pitch who were below MLS quality. So improving the depth of the roster has to be a high priority for TFC.

Ledgerwood would be a good signing if on an acceptable salary. Play multiple positions and would give a huge work rate. He'd be much better than Dunfield and Pozzer I think.

Trading Kocic and Johnson was smart as it opens up Int'l Spots (I think?), frees up cap space, and allows them to be replaced through draft with GA (non-cap) players. Great moves. If they bring in quality.

Also allows them to scout for more technical and impact players.

Ledgerwood would be a good signing if on an acceptable salary. Play multiple positions and would give a huge work rate. He'd be much better than Dunfield and Pozzer I think.

Trading Kocic and Johnson was smart as it opens up Int'l Spots (I think?), frees up cap space, and allows them to be replaced through draft with GA (non-cap) players. Great moves. If they bring in quality.

Also allows them to scout for more technical and impact players.

Re: International spots - Johnson almost surely has a green card if not outright American citizenship as he moved to Boston with his family when he was a toddler.

Kocic might have a green card too, given that he went to college in the U.S. He may have also had Canadian permanent residency status.

Archived