Jacob Lensky (Feyenoord)

Dejan Jakovic (UAB)

André Hainault (Sparta Prague)

Nikolas Ledgerwood (TSV 1860 München)

Andrew Ornoch (Esbjerg fB)

Ryan Gyaki (F.C. Hansa Rostock)

Andrea Lombardo (Toronto FC)

Will Johnson (De Graafschap)

Tosaint Ricketts (University of Wisconsin–Green Bay)

Diaz Kambere (Vancouver Whitecaps)

Kyle Hall (Syracuse University)

Tyler Hemming (Toronto FC)

Tyler Rosenlund (Toronto FC)

Keegan Ayre (Berwick Rangers FC)

Marcus Haber (FC Groningen)

Joshua Wagenaar (Unattached)

Isidro Sánchez Macip (Puebla F.C.)

David Monsalve (Unattached)

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This was our team in 2008 (we finished 3rd):

Asmir Begović (Portsmouth)

Graham Ramalho (FC Groningen)

Jacob Lensky (Feyenoord)

Dejan Jakovic (UAB)

André Hainault (Sparta Prague)

Nikolas Ledgerwood (TSV 1860 München)

Andrew Ornoch (Esbjerg fB)

Ryan Gyaki (F.C. Hansa Rostock)

Andrea Lombardo (Toronto FC)

Will Johnson (De Graafschap)

Tosaint Ricketts (University of Wisconsin–Green Bay)

Diaz Kambere (Vancouver Whitecaps)

Kyle Hall (Syracuse University)

Tyler Hemming (Toronto FC)

Tyler Rosenlund (Toronto FC)

Keegan Ayre (Berwick Rangers FC)

Marcus Haber (FC Groningen)

Joshua Wagenaar (Unattached)

Isidro Sánchez Macip (Puebla F.C.)

David Monsalve (Unattached)

So that's 5 players who have gone on to see regular time with the CMNT (Ricketts, Johnson, Hainault, Jakovic, Ledgerwood) Begović certainly would have been added to that list if he didn't defect, Lensky had a chance before he turned to the Czechs and then lost his passion.

Here's hoping we can better that number with the current crop. Certainly the potential is there. It's impossible to predict who will flame out and who will prosper.

Here is the roster from 2004 qualifying (Canada lost all 3 of their matches)

Roster

# Position Name Hometown DOB Club

1 GK OLIVIERI, Andrew Montreal 27-Mar-81 Montreal Impact

2 DF BRAZ, Adam Dorval 07-Jun-81 Montreal Impact

3 DF MARSHALL, Winston Scarborough 26-Feb-83 Wright State University

4 DF OPPONG, Victor Scarborough 04-Sep-81 FC Saarbrücken

5 DF POZNIAK, Chris North York 10-Jan-81 unattached

6 MF NSALIWA, Tam Edmonton 28-Jan-82 SSV Jahn Regensburg

7 MF WILLIAMS, Chris Toronto 01-Jun-81 Montreal Impact

8 MF PLACENTINO, Rocco Montreal 25-Feb-82 US Avellino

9 MF MATONDO, Sita-Taty St-Laurent 28-Dec-84 Montreal Impact

10 MF DE GUZMAN, Julian Scarborough 25-Mar-81 Hannover 96

11 FW FRIEND, Rob Kelowna 23-Jan-81 Moss FK

12 MF MASCIANTONIO, David Oakville 17-Dec-81 A.C. Isola Liri

13 MF HUTCHINSON, Atiba Brampton 08-Feb-83 Helsingborgs IF

14 FW ADEMOLU, Stephen Windsor 20-Nov-82 Cleveland State Univ.

15 MF SIMPSON, Josh Victoria 15-May-83 University of Portland

16 FW GODFREY, Elliott Toronto 22-Feb-83 Watford FC

17 DF HARMSE, Kevin Coquitlam 04-Jul-84 Tromso

18 DF THOMPSON, Justin N.Vancouver 09-Jan-81 unattached

19 MF SAVARIA, Mathieu St-Hubert 14-May-81 Fairleigh Dickinson Univ.

22 GK KARIM, Alim Scarborough 20-Apr-83 Syracuse University

4 Players went on to have a solid role with the CNMT (JDG, Friend, Simpson, Hutch), throw in Pozniak who saw some time with Canada, as well as Nsaliwa.

It seems around 5ish is the average number of players from each group that has a role with CNMT in the future.

So that's 5 players who have gone on to see regular time with the CMNT (Ricketts, Johnson, Hainault, Jakovic, Ledgerwood) Begović certainly would have been added to that list if he didn't defect, Lensky had a chance before he turned to the Czechs and then lost his passion.

Here's hoping we can better that number with the current crop. Certainly the potential is there. It's impossible to predict who will flame out and who will prosper.

Is it just me or does our current crop have less pro experience than previous years?

Take this 2008 group for instance:

If I recall correctly...

Johnson: had played 20-30 games in the dutch top flight

Legerwood: had played about 30-40 games in bundesliga 2

Lensky: was breaking into the Feyenoord first team and had a handful of apperances

Hainualt: had nearly 50 appearnces in the czech top flight including a loan to Sparta Prague

Lombardo: had played 10-15 games with TFC

compare that to the most experienced guys from the current group:

Haber: has over 20 appearnces in the SPL and was rookie of the year in USL with Vancouver

REB: has played 20 games in Finland top flight, nearly 30 with USL Vancouver, and just broke into the B2

Stinson: has played about 15 games for TFC

Attakora: over 60 games with TFC

Saiko: was named to the NASL allstar team in first pro season

It seems like the best from the previous group argueably had much better pro experience than the most experienced pros of the current group, but our current group as a whole are younger and have comparable pro experience.

So..... I guess I have answered my own question: The preceived lack of experience is due to age.

.....Carry on.

This was our team in 2008 (we finished 3rd):

)

I would have left that part out for the sake of historical accuracy. You may recall that there were some very strange (typical concacaf stuff) circumstances that caused us to get get into final four kockout stage.

Could it be Gyorio wanted out to get his contract sorted with SKS?

I'm sure he wanted in if he came to camp. Hart and co. seem to be really high on Alderson and Piette and who else was he left to beat out? Obviously not Saiko and from what I've seen and heard Bekker was a lock as well. The coaches seemed set on the youngsters so much that Matt Lam didn't even get an invite to camp, that was surprising to me.

There are a few familiar names from this final roster to that of the invitees to that camp that was held in January 2011

January 2011 camp

CANADA

GK- Adam Janssen | USA / Long Island University | Toronto, ON, CAN

GK- Michal Misiewicz | POL / Polonia Bytom | Calgary, AB, CAN

D- Nana Attakora | CAN / Toronto FC | Toronto, ON, CAN

D- Sean Hart | USA / Schulz Academy | Toronto, ON, CAN

D- Ashtone Morgan | CAN / Toronto FC Academy | Toronto, ON, CAN

D- Eddy Sidra |* | Edmonton, AB, CAN

D- Curtis Ushedo | USA / University of Alabama-Birmingham | Mississauga, ON, CAN

M- Kyle Bekker | USA / Boston College | Oakville, ON, CAN

M- Philippe Davies | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC | Longueuil, QC, CAN

M- Derek Gaudet |* | Bayside, NS, CAN

M- Michael Pereira | USA / Providence College | London, ON, CAN

M- Cesar Santamaria | SLV / CD Municipal | Regina, SK, CAN

F- Reda Agourram | CAN / Impact Montréal | Montréal, QC, CAN

F- Randy Edwini-Bonsu | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC | Edmonton, AB, CAN

F- Sherif El-Masri | SIN / Home United FC | Scarborough, ON, CAN

F- Carl Haworth | CAN / FC London | Barrie, ON, CAN

F- Evan James | USA / University of North Carolina at Charlotte | Mississauga, ON, CAN

F- Kyle Porter | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC | Mississauga, ON, CAN

F- Dane Roberts | USA / Furman University | Ajax, ON, CAN

F- Babayele Sodade | USA / University of Alabama-Birmingham | Windsor, ON, CAN

the hype around alderson is only building up for a let down.

I personally dont think he's ready for this level, especially at his position. He wasn't a standout for the U-20's.

One would think you would be more willing to utilize a young player in the attack like Keven or

michael petrasso(where is he?), rather than going for lack of professional experience in the CM positions.

this team has no ball winners, and Mozzi was the CDM for that.

But i would love to be proved wrong

Final roster released

http://canadasoccer.com/canada-m23-announces-concacaf-olympic-qualifying-roster-p149710

Porter, Thomas, Grant, Gyorio cut...

Shocked that Porter and Gyorio were cut, I really can't believe that... And Grant as well after he was singled out after the Ft. Lauderdale match. Surprised Haworth, who didn't even get a look with Montreal is able to win a spot over Porter. I thought Gyorio was a lock for the squad after impressing with SKC this preseason and having a good season with Tampa last year. Guess we'll have to see ourselves Thursday.

Where are you getting your information? Haworth is at school, with permission from Impact to finish his school this year, then head over to MTL. He wasn't "not given a look". Where is the link or article that told you this?

the hype around alderson is only building up for a let down.

I personally dont think he's ready for this level, especially at his position. He wasn't a standout for the U-20's.

One would think you would be more willing to utilize a young player in the attack like Keven or

michael petrasso(where is he?), rather than going for lack of professional experience in the CM positions.

this team has no ball winners, and Mozzi was the CDM for that.

But i would love to be proved wrong

I think there is a significant amount of hype for Alderson, but not really for this tournament. I mean he is essentially six years underage. I'm not expecting much from him other than to be solid enough in the midfield. I mean if he really shined that would be awesome, I just don't think there are too high expectations for him specifically to perform in this tournament.

Where are you getting your information? Haworth is at school, with permission from Impact to finish his school this year, then head over to MTL. He wasn't "not given a look". Where is the link or article that told you this?

Are you sure you're talking about Haworth? First pick Andrew Wenger is at school during the week and with the club for the wek end games but Haworth just did'nt impress in camp and was not offered a contract.

Are you sure you're talking about Haworth? First pick Andrew Wenger is at school during the week and with the club for the wek end games but Haworth just did'nt impress in camp and was not offered a contract.

Was Haworth even at camp? I don't remember reading anywhere about him being at camp

I think there is a significant amount of hype for Alderson, but not really for this tournament. I mean he is essentially six years underage. I'm not expecting much from him other than to be solid enough in the midfield. I mean if he really shined that would be awesome, I just don't think there are too high expectations for him specifically to perform in this tournament.

Agreed.

I really do think he has serious potential, but if you look at everyones roster prediction has him starting at for this squad. I just dont want the hype of player to be burned out because of high expectations for a player who is 6 yrs under. Which i can see happening

I imagine we'll get the 2nd spot...the Yank team appears stacked. So hopefully we can "giant kill" them! Then it's all to play for v. Mexico (we assume!).

We should get by ES, but that'll be a tough match.

@Jahinho - Alderson played in the last u20 camp right? Did you get to see them play? Not sure otherwise where you are getting your "he didn't impress at u20" info from?" I've only seen him play u17 World Cup (and quals) and those bits with the Whitecaps @ Disney Cup, but in those games he was a stud.

@ all the rest - based on Fonseca's remarks re: the youth and bright futures and all the rest of it I am wondering if one of our news reporters can go find out why ALEMAN wasn't even in the camp?? Surely his club would have released him. ??

I see where people are coming from being cautious with Alderson and I think thats the right approach. I've never heard one negative review about Alderson though and with the way he was playing vs. MLS players in pre-season I think he'll be able to handle this U23 tournament. They've given him the #7, I expect him to start. It's not that hard to believe that he could be an impact player, remember last time around Altidore and Adu were stars for the Americans and at the time they were the same age as Bryce.

I think we've all known that Bryce has great vision, can distribute the ball effectively, and win it back when needed. What Martin Rennie has gone out of his way to mention recently to Vancouver media, is that Alderson is extremely tough (citing him playing through an ankle injury in preseason, where lesser-injured players were seeking treatment) and this is something that is required for an 18 year-old to play professionally.

@ all the rest - based on Fonseca's remarks re: the youth and bright futures and all the rest of it I am wondering if one of our news reporters can go find out why ALEMAN wasn't even in the camp?? Surely his club would have released him. ??

Let's wait an see what happens in Valladolid's match against Nurmancia on Sunday. Aleman will be 18 and eligible for selection. The Segunda sides are not as deep as some might think, and I suspect we may just see him in the game day 18.

Couple tidbits gleaned from the wonderful world wide web.

One, Steven Sandor quoted Evan James, who seems to confirm that Porter was cut after coming in injured:

James will be with the Canadian side when it begins its CONCACAF Olympic qualifying campaign Thursday in Nashville against El Salvador. But James admits it wasn’t easy watching Kyle Porter, the FC Edmonton forward who he grew up with in Mississauga, leave camp.

“He’s my best friend from back home, and it was hard to see him go,” said James, who missed the Impact opener with a high ankle sprain before being called to Canada’s camp. “It’s the coach’s decision. I can’t do anything about it. I just have to do what I can to help us qualify, and hopefully he will be added to the roster before we go to the Olympics.”

Porter, like James, was carrying an injury coming into camp and it hampered his chances.

http://the11.ca/2012/03/21/u-23-cutdown-day-was-bittersweet-for-impact-midfielder-evan-james/#more-7097

Two, Jannsen looks to NOT be with Minnesota, at least according to the foremost Stars forum:

"The CSA had Janssen tagged as a member of the Stars squad in their press release yesterday when they picked their final team for CONCACAF qualifying. Since the Stars "STILL" don't have a 2012 roster page up I contacted the FO.

Janssen IS NOT a member of the Stars team. Not sure where that information came from but it's a pretty bad mistake to make at the National Team level. Get your ducks in a row CSA."

http://www.usldiscussions.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/278870/2012_Roster_Thread

Couple tidbits gleaned from the wonderful world wide web.

One, Stephen Sandor quote Evan James who seems to confirm that Porter was cut after coming in injured:

James will be with the Canadian side when it begins its CONCACAF Olympic qualifying campaign Thursday in Nashville against El Salvador. But James admits it wasn’t easy watching Kyle Porter, the FC Edmonton forward who he grew up with in Mississauga, leave camp.

“He’s my best friend from back home, and it was hard to see him go,” said James, who missed the Impact opener with a high ankle sprain before being called to Canada’s camp. “It’s the coach’s decision. I can’t do anything about it. I just have to do what I can to help us qualify, and hopefully he will be added to the roster before we go to the Olympics.”

Porter, like James, was carrying an injury coming into camp and it hampered his chances.

http://the11.ca/2012/03/21/u-23-cutdown-day-was-bittersweet-for-impact-midfielder-evan-james/#more-7097

Two, Jannsen looks to NOT be with Minnesota, at least according to the foremost Stars forum:

"The CSA had Janssen tagged as a member of the Stars squad in their press release yesterday when they picked their final team for CONCACAF qualifying. Since the Stars "STILL" don't have a 2012 roster page up I contacted the FO.

Janssen IS NOT a member of the Stars team. Not sure where that information came from but it's a pretty bad mistake to make at the National Team level. Get your ducks in a row CSA."

http://www.usldiscussions.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/278870/2012_Roster_Thread

Ya I think most knew he wasn't a member of the Stars team, just on trial. Just a little way for the CSA to not look as bad with one less unattached player.

Not just one but also Mozesh Gyorio who was named to the camp roster and they listed him with Sporting Kansas City when in fact he had only recently trialed with SKC. Rudi got it right on his press release, for TFC and MLS, by listing him as unattached. To me, this is akin to listing on your resume that you current work for ABC Company when in fact, you only recently got an interview with them.

I think that these kind of hic cups (though small) dont make the CSA look good in that it makes them look like a group that are not on top of things as far information. That can ultimately manifest itself in other areas including, ultimately, player evaluations, assessments and selections. Maybe the player is padding his reseume, is telling them this and witholding the full info in order to improve is standing and pedigree with the national team. Ok, but information (gathering and dessimating) is a key part of a successful organization. Need to stay on top of things in the way the fans are.

Not just one but also Mozesh Gyorio who was named to the camp roster and they listed him with Sporting Kansas City when in fact he had only recently trialed with SKC. Rudi got it right on his press release, for TFC and MLS, by listing him as unattached. To me, this is akin to listing on your resume that you current work for ABC Company when in fact, you only recently got an interview with them.

I think that these kind of hic cups (though small) dont make the CSA look good in that it makes them look like a group that are not on top of things as far information. That can ultimately manifest itself in other areas including, ultimately, player evaluations, assessments and selections. Maybe the player is padding his reseume, is telling them this and witholding the full info in order to improve is standing and pedigree with the national team. Ok, but information (gathering and dessimating) is a key part of a successful organization. Need to stay on top of things in the way the fans are.

they should just ask for help, from v's or others that keep track of this stuff just for kicks.

Archived