U23 Camp

Max

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do we even have any idea what our starting eleven looked like for the friendlies?

I was just sort of trying to piece that together looking at the facebook photos from the Strikers game but I haven't really seen a lot of these guys play enough yet to be able to recognize them from fb photos.

I am not sure that is a very good trade-off in a WCQ year. If he is ready for the senior team I would rather see him 100% devoted to that.

It all depend of Hart feeling in that situation. Maybe it came down to the fact that Hart felt that it was better to see REB play at least 3 full games instead of only seeing him in one or 2 training sessions and limited minutes in a friendly (I assume Hart didn't see REB as a starter for the Armenia game).

It all depend of Hart feeling in that situation. Maybe it came down to the fact that Hart felt that it was better to see REB play at least 3 full games instead of only seeing him in one or 2 training sessions and limited minutes in a friendly (I assume Hart didn't see REB as a starter for the Armenia game).

Agreed here, 3 competitive matches and a week of training over one training session and a friendly any day.

I am not sure that is a very good trade-off in a WCQ year. If he is ready for the senior team I would rather see him 100% devoted to that.

Agree 100%. I get the impression though, that it may just be a call-up during a friendly, as German league isn't running in the summer when our qualifiers are played.

Agree 100%. I get the impression though, that it may just be a call-up during a friendly, as German league isn't running in the summer when our qualifiers are played.

Grizzly meant he would have been better off getting integrated into the senior team during the Armenia camp instead of walking into the team as a stranger during WCQ this summer. Nothing to do with release issues for WCQ...

IMO i see REB as an impact sub at this time so missing two training sessions and a likely sub appearance likely won't change much.

I don't often agree with CSA coaches on much, but I agree with Fonseca when he says his reason for assembling such a young squad is to give these players the benefit of international experience to raise their game. He says the young players in this group have quite a bit of talent which hopefully will turn into something big. A much more sensible approach than putting out older players in order to attempt to "win now".

I'm very excited for u20 qualifying next year. Hopefully we will be even better at the u17 level as well.

Grizzly meant he would have been better off getting integrated into the senior team during the Armenia camp instead of walking into the team as a stranger during WCQ this summer. Nothing to do with release issues for WCQ...

IMO i see REB as an impact sub at this time so missing two training sessions and a likely sub appearance likely won't change much.

Yes that is what I meant. He may end up as only an impact sub but seeing as no one has really grabbed the starting striker position and Occean was not there, I would have really liked to have seen what REB could do as a starting striker. I think WCQ must be given far more importance than the Olympics and any potential starter should be called for the senior team over the U23 team. Now Hart may not feel that way and REB may have made his decision based on what Hart told him his role would be against Armenia but I think my opinion of Hart's decisions and coaching ability is well known.

At this point though with Randy having been involved in the limited sessions the U23s have actually had up until this point, accepting the trade off of those used up resources for 30 minutes or so vs. Armenia just wouldn't make sense.

Great to see REB committing and yet I also see him having missed a possible chance at unexpected glory with the MNT. I can't see him being any less effective with us than Jackson, for instance. I imagine his status with both set-ups would have been discussed with his club before signing - perhaps he was encouraged to choose one over the other. Nice to see his enthusiasm in any case.

Also remember that the connections between the U-23 and full team are probably way more than most other teams. With Fonseca coaching, and Hart probably in Nashville for the tournament as well, REB will get a decent idea of what full MNT camps will be like. I see your point that it would have been nice for him to get some time with the full team, but I'd prefer to get him 2+ weeks with a competitive team under the same coaching staff and environment than a 3-day camp for a friendly.

Final roster released

http://canadasoccer.com/canada-m23-announces-concacaf-olympic-qualifying-roster-p149710

Porter, Thomas, Grant, Gyorio cut...

Shocked that Porter and Gyorio were cut, I really can't believe that... And Grant as well after he was singled out after the Ft. Lauderdale match. Surprised Haworth, who didn't even get a look with Montreal is able to win a spot over Porter. I thought Gyorio was a lock for the squad after impressing with SKC this preseason and having a good season with Tampa last year. Guess we'll have to see ourselves Thursday.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-m23-announces-concacaf-olympic-qualifying-roster-p149710

CANADA

1- GK- Adam Janssen | USA / Minnesota Stars

2- FB- Andrés Fresenga | URU / Racing Club de Montevideo

3- M- Russell Teibert | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

4- CB- Nana Attakora |

5- CB- Doneil Henry | CAN / Toronto FC

6- M- Kyle Bekker | USA / Boston College

7- M- Bryce Alderson | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

8- M- Samuel Piette | FRA / FC Metz

9- M- Shaun Saiko | CAN / FC Edmonton

10- F- Marcus Haber | SCO / St. Johnstone FC

11- M- Matt Stinson | CAN / Toronto FC

12- F- Babayele Sodade | USA / Seattle Sounders FC

13- F- Lucas Cavallini | URU / Club Nacional

14- M- Philippe Davies |

15- M- Sherif El-Masri | SIN / Courts Young Lions

16- M- Drew Beckie |

17- F- Carl Haworth | CAN / Impact Montréal

18- GK- Michal Misiewicz | CAN / FC Edmonton

19- F- Randy Edwini-Bonsu | GER / Eintracht Braunsweig

20- M- Evan James | CAN / Impact Montréal

Very surprised at the cuts. Haworth doesn't get a sniff in Montreal and Gyorio may very well still stick with one of the best teams in MLS. The question then becomes is Fonseca a better talent evaluator than Peter Vermes?

I'm willing to bet we'll be the only team in the tourney with two unattached players and one plying their trade in Singapore.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-m23-announces-concacaf-olympic-qualifying-roster-p149710

CANADA

1- GK- Adam Janssen | USA / Minnesota Stars

2- FB- Andrés Fresenga | URU / Racing Club de Montevideo

3- M- Russell Teibert | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

4- CB- Nana Attakora |

5- CB- Doneil Henry | CAN / Toronto FC

6- M- Kyle Bekker | USA / Boston College

7- M- Bryce Alderson | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

8- M- Samuel Piette | FRA / FC Metz

9- M- Shaun Saiko | CAN / FC Edmonton

10- F- Marcus Haber | SCO / St. Johnstone FC

11- M- Matt Stinson | CAN / Toronto FC

12- F- Babayele Sodade | USA / Seattle Sounders FC

13- F- Lucas Cavallini | URU / Club Nacional

14- M- Philippe Davies |

15- M- Sherif El-Masri | SIN / Courts Young Lions

16- M- Drew Beckie |

17- F- Carl Haworth | CAN / Impact Montréal

18- GK- Michal Misiewicz | CAN / FC Edmonton

19- F- Randy Edwini-Bonsu | GER / Eintracht Braunsweig

20- M- Evan James | CAN / Impact Montréal

Very surprised at the cuts. Haworth doesn't get a sniff in Montreal and Gyorio may very well still stick with one of the best teams in MLS. The question then becomes is Fonseca a better talent evaluator than Peter Vermes?

I'm willing to bet we'll be the only team in the tourney with two unattached players and one plying their trade in Singapore.

Wow i thought KP and Mozzi were for sure locks.

Davies?

Alderson?

Haworth?

Beckie?

WoW

I hope i'm wrong about Fonseca because i want this team to qualify, but the results he's gotten with the U20's and this group of U23's so far leads me to be skeptical of his "pedigree".

Porter injured, can't play. Somewhat surprised Thomas didn't make the squad. I gotta say though, I get the "developing the youth" as being a priority but c'mon....Davies, Haworth, and/or Beckie selected ahead of Gyorio?? Yer kidding. None have a club! Gyorio doesn't either but he's just come from SKC and as such is certainly fit from a competitive perspective.

I expect Davies, Haworth, and Beckie to all have pro contracts locked-up shortly after OQ .... especially if Gyorio does.

Porter injured, can't play. Somewhat surprised Thomas didn't make the squad. I gotta say though, I get the "developing the youth" as being a priority but c'mon....Davies, Haworth, and/or Beckie selected ahead of Gyorio?? Yer kidding. None have a club! Gyorio doesn't either but he's just come from SKC and as such is certainly fit from a competitive perspective.

I expect Davies, Haworth, and Beckie to all have pro contracts locked-up shortly after OQ .... especially if Gyorio does.

Beckie isn't unattached he's with the U of Denver going into his senior season.

I hope i'm wrong about Fonseca because i want this team to qualify, but the results he's gotten with the U20's and this group of U23's so far leads me to be skeptical of his "pedigree".

I'll go with Peter Vermes on this one. Proven track record at a high level as a talent evaluator vs. someone with a good playing career.

Your logic makes no sense. Gyorio is a central midfielder. Beckie is a defender, Davies plays out wide in mid and can fill in on the back line and Haworth plays up front. Gyorio was in competition with Saiko, Bekker, Alderson, Piette, Stinson and El-Masri. I'm not sure you can say for sure that he brings more to the table than those guys, particularly the first three who I think will be gobbling the majority of the playing time.

Archived