U23 Camp

Max

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

loving the positive vibe... we are constantly saying that we need the young unproven/unknowns to be given chances to be seen/prove themselves and for the majority of the roster this could be the case and still this thread is met with tons of negativity... when will we be actually happy with an announced roster?!?!?!

loving the positive vibe... we are constantly saying that we need the young unproven/unknowns to be given chances to be seen/prove themselves and for the majority of the roster this could be the case and still this thread is met with tons of negativity... when will we be actually happy with an announced roster?!?!?!

When all of the best, eligible players for a national team are named to the roster and show up for the game.

Some of the comments about this announcement are uncalled for. This is an U-23 tournament and clubs don't have to release their players for this kind of event so we have to live with it. Yes it's disapointing but I prefer players like REB and JDC to stay with their clubs than come here for this tourney. In the long run it will be better for our MNT chances to qualify for a WC.

Even someone like Morgan is probably better staying with TFC and keep his starting job.

The good thing is that some unknown player will be given a chance. Not a bad thing.

No one can really be surprised with this squad can they? Especially re: the Euro-based players. I'd have liked to see all the MLS players, including a guy like Jannierre. I look at this squad and I don't see too many "unknowns." Heck...JDC is more unknown than most of these guys. The first XI isn't bad....what a great experience for some of these guys! (and yes, I am wondering where Fisk and Clarke are as well...)

I put a double asterix next players who will get cut IMO and italic the substitute lads in the match day 18. Though I don't know if they will carry just 18 for the tournament and call-in extras as needed or bring a full squad with reserves.

First XI

GK- Simon Thomas | ENG / Huddersfield Town

D- Nana Attakora | USA / San Jose Earthquakes

D- Andrés Fresenga | URU / Racing Club de Montevideo

D- Doneil Henry | CAN / Toronto FC

D- Matt Stinson | CAN / Toronto FC

M- Bryce Alderson | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

M- Mozesh Gyorio | USA / Sporting Kansas City

M- Shaun Saiko | CAN / FC Edmonton

M- Russell Teibert | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

F- Marcus Haber | SCO / St. Johnstone FC

F- Kyle Porter | CAN / FC Edmonton

Subs

**F- Carl Haworth | Unattached

F- Babayele Sodade | USA / Seattle Sounders

F- Lucas Cavallini | URU / Club Nacional

M- Evan James | CAN / Impact Montréal

M- Samuel Piette | FRA / FC Metz

M- Kyle Bekker | USA / Boston College

M- Philippe Davies | Unattached / sans club

D- Tristan Grant | URU / Club Nacional

D- Drew Beckie | USA / University of Denver

D- Sherif El-Masri | SIN / Courts Young Lions

**GK- Adam Janssen | USA / Minnesota Stars

GK- Michal Misiewicz | CAN / FC Edmonton

The one thing I question is CONCACAF's timing of this tournament. Ideally it would have been held in the December/January period when all leagues in north and central america (and many in europe) were on break. Either that or hold it back in October or November so there would at least be some overlap with the FIFA windows. But to hold it in march?? I don't get it.

With Fonsesca at the helm you can bet this team is going to play a system similar to the MNT especially with WCQ around the corner.

Spots are up for grabs but I think we definitely expect Haber to have the starting striker role, Teibert to have the left wing role (or maybe even left back if Morgan doesn't get released), Attakora at centre back and Saiko and Stinson somewhere in the XI. Imo this team is a bit stronger on paper than the 2008 version. Pretty surprised at the inclusion of Haworth, but we look good up front I doubt he'll make the final roster.

My starting XI:

---------------------Janssen--------------------

Fresenga------Nana-------Henry-----Stinson

---------------Saiko-------Alderson------------

Porter---------------Gyorio-------------Teibert

----------------------Haber---------------------

Thomas apparently very good at his club....the FCE GK too.....Tarnado makes a good point.

I like Thomas as he's been playing in a higher pressure environment for longer than the other two. JPG, your reason for Janssen has to be better than "was apparently"....??? ;) Just giving you a hard time. Whoever plays better do well! :)

I could be wrong, but didn't a few players fly in last time around right before the matches? REB, Straith, DiChaira and Morgan could still be part of the set-up if this is the case.

The other guys I could see but I'm really curious to know about the specific situation regarding JDC only because of Fonseca's frank comments about him during WCQ last autumn. I just got the sense that he didn't tickle Fonseca's fancy but if he ends up being called in later with these other guys then I'll be wrong about my instincts (yet again!).

I'm sure there will be 4 or 5 different names in that lineup come game time. The timing of this camp was tricky.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Lam's name in there, provided his shoulder holds up, over the next couple weeks.

Just like REB maybe more of the MLS/Young Euro (Straith?) guys are coming for the matches?

Although I quite like the team from these players at the camp. Not sure how they stack-up against some of the other countries, but it isn't bad.

I too am very disappointed that Morgan was not released. But i am also surprised the Josh Janniere was not named either. Janniere was the ex TFC academy product that was traded to Colorado and had just (this year) moved up to the first team. Or what about Cordon, who has some pro playing experience and is just comming off of a training camp. How can can a bunch of college guys, Nasl'ers, unattached, singapour etc players be rated higher. If a players like Porter, Davies or REB are rated higher than Cordon, then why werent they retained by the Whitecaps? I was hopefull for this squad a few months ago. But after seeing the squad named, i am not anymore. There are too many inexperienced players and this is a tournament for young professionals.

We all believe that a player like Alderson has future in the game. But when i see that an 18 year old (like Alderson) is selected given that he has no professional playing experience under his belt, that tells me that our prospects are grim and that player depth is still an issue. Remember, this is a U23 tournament not an under U19 or U20 tournament. If you have A squad predominantly of 21-22 year olds getting playing professionally (prefferably in MLS due to travel and displacement factors) then you you have a chance in olympic qualifying. But with all those college, youth players and teenagers, released, unattached, singapour, marginal overseas players etc etc, we have a very slim chance. Unless those teenagers are budding superstars. But i hope that i am wrong.

Why does the CSA press release list Mozesh Gyorio with Sporting KC? Yet, i dont see his name listed on SKC club roster page. Equally, this squad appeared on a press release from TFC and on that page he is listed as unattached. TFC news release says that he recently spent time with SKC.

http://www.sportingkc.com/players

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/03/reds-olympics-roster

REB will be a huge addition.. he's one of those few guys who has always scored goals for Canada.

An REB - Haber partnership could work out well and this team shouldn't have trouble scoring goals, still though does a guy like Carl Haworth deserve a call over Emery Welshman? NO. This isn't as bad a squad as people are making it out to be... I'm really rattled that Morgan isn't there because we could use a left back though. I'm surprised Matt Lam wasn't given an invite.. or is he injured? The main difference between this squad and 2008 is that we have players with a lot more pro/first team experience. In 2008 guys we had with first team experience were Ledgerwood, Hainault, Wagenaar, Johnson, Ornoch and Hemming. This year almost every player has first team experience and the college players (Bekker and Janssen) seem to be headed to pro careers.

Archived