Whitecaps 2012 Roster Dance

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really? I make it they're at 29 of 30 contracts and your post on the front page seems to agree with me.

Yes, but that includes Robson. He doesn't officially arrive till July, so his contract won't kick in till then.

Making it 28/30 total, 20/20 senior, 10/10 int, and 8/10 off budget. till July.

I fixed the front page to reflect the roster more accurately.

Caps playing great against SKC tonight. With all these strikers, one has to wonder what is the point of having Salgado. He's not going to develop, even as a prospect if he's #7 on the forward depth chart.

In another 4 years Canada will have a much more exciting senior team with players like Alderson and Teibert in their early 20's.

I am also wondering about Salgado. But I'd hate for them to release or trade/sell him. Send him on-loan somewhere....maybe to LA Blues for a more latino-style team in a league he'd be comfortable in....maybe to a lower-tier Euro team....maybe an NASL team for a greater challenge.

Omar going on loan would be something to look at I think for Rennie. Though if Rennie goes with a 4-3-3, Salgado being 7th in the order isn't as far out as it might seem at first glance.

If yah got Le Toux, Hassli, Camilo as the first 3, the second group Harris, Tan, Teibert. Third group Mattocks, Salgado, Barbara.

You could look at Salgado as a 3rd or 4th string Striker, while the rest are more suited to the wing spots, thus not blocking Omar's path.

Either way, Omar's time will be limited and he should see more time in the PDL roster than the MLS roster.

He is still only 18, MLS reserves might be the best place for him still.

MLS reserves is pathetic in that it's only 10 games. I am sure the games themselves are good. PDL is not even close to good enough for Omar's development.

Even if he is 3rd or 4th string CF in a 4-3-3, who is to say that one of the "more natural wingers" as you put it isn't selected ahead of him still?

The kids gotta get outta dodge for a year or two to develop. An example is a guy like Danny Welbeck.

I’m a little shocked that Nguyen got waved today. With so much talent going forward I’m not surprised he didn’t fit into the club’s plans, but from what limited pre-season looks I’d seen of him so far, he looked like a competent attacking player that theoretically should have had some trade value.

Unless they’ve got further moves lined up, they certainly didn’t need to cut him to free up roster space, however it is possible that his contract was mutually exclusive with that of Barbara’s. If he had a large contract it would also have decreased his tradability and the VWC might have also not wanted to get stuck with a large bill for a guy who in the end was essentially taking up roster and cap space.

All pure speculation of course, given the MLS cone of silence regarding all things salary and transfer related.

Perhaps there were some attitude issues at play (also pure spec). When an undeniably talented prospect progressively trends downward in terms of their level of play, one wonders what the root issue is; injuries, club/manager conflict, plateau’d physical development, personal issues, poor training ethic.

Either way, the Caps’ have essentially wasted their lottery pick.

On the positive side however, whilst there were surely other issues at play, the stellar performance of both Nanchoff and Tiebert in preseason – who both don’t cost the club a dime against the cap – likely made it a little easier for Rennie and co to deem Nguyen surplus to requirements. For Canadian soccer fans, this could be seen as a vote of confidence with respect to Tiebert’s place in the squad; and whilst we’ve wasted a lottery pick on one hand, on the other our 12th overall pick last year has been playing his way back into the conversation in a big way down in Florida!

Either way, the Caps’ have essentially wasted their lottery pick.

Nguyen wasn't our allocation pick. He went through a special lottery, where he was the only prize. He was rumoured to be on about $60k, so I'm not sure it was finanically motivated. I think it was more that players in his position: Teibert, Nanchoff, Mattocks & Chiumiento were doing well in Orlando -probably better than expected. Also, his "faggggggg" tweet got a lot of unnecessary attention. That can't have helped.

I'm surprised as well having said this. I think he's a good MLS player.

Nguyen wasn't our allocation pick. He went through a special lottery, where he was the only prize. He was rumoured to be on about $60k, so I'm not sure it was finanically motivated...

I did say "Lottery" there, not allocation, didn't I?... you've even got it in my quote? lol

definitely agree wrt the twitter comment, as well as other player's out playing him.

Didn't know he was supposedly on such a low contract though. One would think with a 60K contract he could have garnered some trade interest.

^... hmm... I don't know... sometimes I can't keep track of all of the MLS roster/acquisition rules. I thought we did lose our place in some kind of rank order. As I said though, I consider myself a pretty big MLS nerd, but still can't always keep that sh-- strait. lol

^... hmm... I don't know... sometimes I can't keep track of all of the MLS roster/acquisition rules. I thought we did lose our place in some kind of rank order. As I said though, I consider myself a pretty big MLS nerd, but still can't always keep that sh-- strait. lol

I think Lee was aquired in a lottery where everyone was on equal footing and we bid for him.

haha, ok, I've clearly not been paying as much attention as I thought but I watched all the Disney games and didn't see Franks play once....., errr, who??? I don't even know his position!

I would venture he's more on a trial till Robson joins the club. Since some players will be on int duty as well over the next few weeks. Franks fits a cheap stop gap that can be cut when needed without critiscm.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived