Whitecaps 2012 Roster Dance

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Draftpicks Estridge and Fontien have been released from camp.

Leaving only 9 left in camp unsigned, and only 3 spots available all Off Budget and Domestic spots.

Caleb Clarke CAN (Residency)

Callum Irving CAN (Residency)

Victor Turcios (SLV) (on loan from CD Aguila)

Nuru Suley (GHA) (Tudo Mighty Jets FC, Ghana)

Patrick Cregg (IRL) (Bury FC, League One)

Etienne Barbara MLT (MLS Discovery aquired by trade with MTL Impact for Gienir Garcia)

Bilal Duckett USA (On Trial)

Floyd Franks USA (Carolina Railhawks, USL)

Greg Kalzura USA (MLS Supplemental Draft pick)

My guess is we might see another trade in the next week or so, to open up a INT and Senior spot for Barbara, or possibly Cregg or Turcios.

As of today the traveling roster has been reduced to 32 including Salgado

Which mean Suley and Franks have been sent home.

Leaving the 26 signed players and 6 trialists

Sean Melvin CAN (Residency)

Etienne Barbara MLT (MLS Discovery aquired by trade with MTL Impact for Gienir Garcia)

As of today the traveling roster has been reduced to 32 including Salgado

Which mean Suley and Franks have been sent home.

Leaving the 26 signed players and 6 trialists

Sean Melvin CAN (Residency)

That means Barbara, Kalzura and one other to be signed.

Boxall and res. Irving were the only two dressed players to not get into today's 2-1 victory over UVIC - Mitchell and Nuru both put in 90. I bet Boxall is cut tomorrow: http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2012/02/whitecaps-fc-defeat-uvic-vikes-2-1-victoria

They won't cut Boxall without a replacement in mind....but I agree since there are loads of int'l in the CB spot the "bottom of the wrung" guy is gone if taking an int'l spot, which Boxall does. It's too bad b/c I like him, actually. He'll get snagged by another MLS team if cut. Probably have a useful career in MLS and A-League.

My only question re: this signing is - at age 23, is he THAT much better than whoever the club has at u18 RB? All sorts of questions in this regard. Sign a middling 23 year old American, or bring through a bright 18 year old Canadian.....5 years and the 18 year old could be the full time starting RB while Klazura never will be....Pyo is fairly old, and will retire. I can't see Klazura being the long-term replacement for Pyo.

Although, good for this kid to overcome the obstacles he did to make the team. Much like Boxall, he was drafted low and given a low chance to make the squad in the first place. And good to hear he has a great attitude.

^I believe the best option at RB from the academy is Declan Rodriguez, who is a converted striker. This conversion happened less than a year ago, so I suspect he will be given the PDL season to impress at this position.

Apparently Klazura was invited to the 2010 combine, with some speculation that he would go in the first round. He declined and went back to captain Notre Dame and finish his degree. He can play either FB position or DM. Rennie cut the 21st overall pick in favour of the 59th overall pick, so he must have had a very good preseason. He looked competent against UVic. More so than former teammates Brovsky and Duckett.

I could be wrong, but I think Boxall is very close to a green card.

I haven't heard a Boxall Green Card rumor, but I have heard Watson and Mattocks Green Card rumors. Does anyone know anything more about any of these guy's (or any other guy's) potential conversion to domestic player status?

That's really nice he doesn't take an int'l spot. Too bad this doesn't make him eligible for the CMNT! haha, you guys are gonna smack me for keep bringing this up. But I say we naturalize all the players we can through MLS. We need the lads if for no other reason than to improve depth at various levels of play And to pick-up the odd star (Camilo would be a star for CMNT!).

That's really nice he doesn't take an int'l spot. Too bad this doesn't make him eligible for the CMNT! haha, you guys are gonna smack me for keep bringing this up. But I say we naturalize all the players we can through MLS. We need the lads if for no other reason than to improve depth at various levels of play And to pick-up the odd star (Camilo would be a star for CMNT!).

Ya and it might give all those my 2nd cousin married a Brazilian; I have two razors and don't ask what the second one's for; I bought a fake Brazil jersey for $10 at a flee market whilst trashing my liver in South America... and therefore I cheer for Brazil... fans a reason to also support the CMNT.

on another note, re: Green cards, apparently Barbara is also applying for one, as he's married to an American.

http://www.vancouversun.com/health/Whitecaps+Etienne+Barbara+barbs+ramp+rivalry/6203873/story.html

Of note he also spilled the beans in this article that Rennie was going to sign with MTL, but bailed to sign with Vancouver... I say someone should get working on a "we stole your coach" song for the home opener! lol :P

Archived