Montreal MLS roster discussion

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because they thought the Dynamo wanted to keep Ching and would give up a valuable asset to get him back, not realizing that he's an old, sub-par, injured player who had an abominable contract and, for all their PR stunting, there's a very good reason Houston left him unprotected.

As a Whitecaps fan, I'm actually disappointed Montreal got out from under that monstrosity of a contract.

Clearly Ching trade IMO has to do with clearing salary for Ferrari, also the new DP which has been signed but not announced, and possibly an allocated player such as Johnson (hope not) or Bocanegra

Today multiple people on twitter saying IMFC are close to signing Sebrango... couldn't be happier, that's the signature I've been waiting for over any others including DP... call me sentimental.

What the hell are Montreal doing? Using their allocation spot to trade for Neagle and Fucito? Really?? Does Mo Johnston work for the Impact now?

Are you actually serious? This trade is a steal for the Impact and it's not only me saying this, also 85% of Seattle supporters..

Are you actually serious? This trade is a steal for the Impact and it's not only me saying this, also 85% of Seattle supporters..

They need someone to score goals. Have all the midfielders and defenders you want. Fucito plays forward, but itsn't that good. Neagle who is a MF is the big piece in this trade.

They need someone to score goals. Have all the midfielders and defenders you want. Fucito plays forward, but itsn't that good. Neagle who is a MF is the big piece in this trade.

You're pretty far off base here, everyone is calling this a surprise buttsex by the Impact on Seattle. Marsch basically turned one expensive and hugely uncertain forward with zero upside into two decent young forwards with upside. For a team lacking depth at forward it was a very smart move.

You're pretty far off base here, everyone is calling this a surprise buttsex by the Impact on Seattle. Marsch basically turned one expensive and hugely uncertain forward with zero upside into two decent young forwards with upside. For a team lacking depth at forward it was a very smart move.

Except the cost wasn't simply Eddie Johnson. The cost was 1st choice on returning players. Last year this included Jay Demerit, Charlie Davies,and Benny Feilhaber. If Bocanegra, or even Ricardo Clark are passed up as a result, I don't think Fucito and Neagle are enough. Those guys only look good because Marsh ****ed up by picking Ching and, possibly, by passing on Mattocks.

Except the cost wasn't simply Eddie Johnson. The cost was 1st choice on returning players. Last year this included Jay Demerit, Charlie Davies,and Benny Feilhaber. If Bocanegra, or even Ricardo Clark are passed up as a result, I don't think Fucito and Neagle are enough. Those guys only look good because Marsh ****ed up by picking Ching and, possibly, by passing on Mattocks.

Correct. Everyone is assuming 1st choice in allocation = Johnson and no one else. Wrong.

Yes, but as an expansion team the Impact need depth now. They can't afford to wait around in case, perhaps or maybe some other player is available in 3-4 months..

As for "****ing up" by passing on Mattocks, neither him nor Wenger even played a game yet so let's wait to pass judgement on that one..

Yes, but as an expansion team the Impact need depth now. They can't afford to wait around in case, perhaps or maybe some other player is available in 3-4 months..

As for "****ing up" by passing on Mattocks, neither him nor Wenger even played a game yet so let's wait to pass judgement on that one..

Then do what the rest of MLS has learned works, sign a couple great attacking South Americans. If someone great becomes available in the allocation later, then take him and make room.

The Mattocks pass is completely unrelated to lack of forward depth since Wenger is also a forward albeit a converted one.

But I get your point.

Other than Demerit, who sucks ;)

seems both Pizzolitto and Gatti have been cut, with Mircea Ilcu hurt and still young enough to be with the U21 team it looks like Sebrango will be the third Cannuck with the Impact.

I'm sad about Gatti but from the beginning if I could choose one it would have been Eddy. The man is a machine and an inspiration.

Here is the confirmation regarding Pizzolitto and Gatti. Relieved Pizzo was not signed, maybe earlier in his career he might have been a candidate for MLS but last year he was poor even in NASL. Not surprised about Gatti either, he was a good, hard working and versatile NASL player but I was never as impressed as some others by his ability and skill level. At best he would have been a depth player and I think there are better options than him for that role. Good to see both offered jobs in the organization though, both were longtime players for the club who deserve to be rewarded for their service.

http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/news/2012/02/roster-moves-ahead-orlando-trip

The player on trial, Acosta, an Argentine offensive midfielder who is 23 years old with fairly extensive Argentine first division experience and who most recently played for Ecuadorian club LDU Quito seems promising.

Mattocks will probably leave MLS for Europe the first chance he gets. Wenger seems like more of a long-term pick.

Mattocks also signed a GA contract. He is locked into MLS for the next few years. And you would get major league allocation money from any sale. The Red Bulls are using some of the money from the Tim Ream to Bolton sale to fund an academy with full residency.

It is official: Sebrango will play in MLS with the Impact

http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/news/2012/02/striker-eduardo-sebrango-signs-montreal-impact

Striker Eduardo Sebrango signs with the Montreal Impact

38 year-old excited, happy and proud to be part of the team

February 21, 2012

Press Release

Montreal Impact

MONTREAL – The Montreal Impact announced on Tuesday the signing of striker Eduardo Sebrango for the club’s inaugural season in Major League Soccer. As per MLS and club policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed. Sebrango, a 38-year old Canadian originally from Cuba, was on trial with the club since the beginning of training camp.

Sebrango is one of the most successful players in the history of second division soccer in North America, winning five championships, two with the Impact in 2004 and 2009, two with Vancouver in 2006 and 2008, as well as one with the Rochester Rhinos in 2000.

He currently ranks second place all-time in North American second division scoring, with a total of 104 goals, 31 assists for 239 points in 270 games and 18,430 minutes of play.

“Eduardo has proven during the camp that he can be effective at the next level and we are very pleased to include him in our team for 2012,” said Impact head coach Jesse Marsch. “We know he will bring total commitment to this project every day as he did during his whole career.”

“I am really excited, happy and proud to be part of the Impact in MLS,” said Sebrango. “I’ve been with the club for a long time and it’s special for me to be a part of its first season in the top league in North America. I will try to do my best to represent all the former Impact players that wore the team’s colours proudly over the years.”

Sebrango played with the Impact between the 2002 and 2005, and the 2009 to 2011 seasons. With the Impact, he registered 51 goals and 11 assists for 112 points, in 149 regular season games. He is currently ranked second place all-time in team history for most goals and points, behind Mauro Biello, current assistant coach of the team.

In 2011, coming out of retirement on June 21, he scored six goals and added one assist, while finishing second on the team in points in 13 games, seven as starter, and 771 minutes of play.

In 2009, Sebrango scored three goals in two matches during the CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinals against Mexican club Santos Laguna, scoring twice in front of 55,571 supporters at the Olympic Stadium on February 25, 2009.

On the International scene, he scored 16 goals in 24 games for the Cuban National Team between 1992 and 1998.

EDUARDO SEBRANGO

Position: Forward

Height: 6’0

Weight: 178 lbs

Birth date: April 13, 1973, Sancti Spiritus, Cuba

Place of residence: Montreal, Quebec

Former club: Montreal Impact (NASL)

Acquired: February 21, 2012

Archived