Montreal MLS roster discussion

Good to hear Eddy gets a contract - always nice to have some continuity with the old team.

Anyone else think that Iain Hume deserves a look once his season is done in England? Would be great for a few solid years of playing and then for his leadership. The man is a proven leader throughout his career.

In the meantime, let's see the offensive talent that Joey can find in the lower leagues in Europe - seems like Switzerland and Austria are two leagues where some decently priced talent is emerging. Let's hope we can uncover a DP striker.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good to hear Eddy gets a contract - always nice to have some continuity with the old team.

Anyone else think that Iain Hume deserves a look once his season is done in England? Would be great for a few solid years of playing and then for his leadership. The man is a proven leader throughout his career.

In the meantime, let's see the offensive talent that Joey can find in the lower leagues in Europe - seems like Switzerland and Austria are two leagues where some decently priced talent is emerging. Let's hope we can uncover a DP striker.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Iain is under contract until the end of next season so the earliest he'd be available would be June 2013. Unless he could of course he negotiates a release.

Not to sound like a broken record but we really still need some help up front... I was pleased to see Eddy get a MLS contract but realistically he is not a starter in this league he hopefully will be a good "super sub" type player but thats it. At the moment here is our forward core:

Justin Braun - signed

Mike Fucito - signed

Carl Haworth - drafted/not signed

Evan James - drafted/not signed

Steven Miller - drafted/not signed

Miguel Montaño - signed

Aaron Schoenfeld -drafted/not signed

Sebrango - singed

I heard that despite going in supplemental draft Schoenfeld has size and decent nose for goal and Evan James has had a good pre-season but any thoughts guys?

Unless they have a prolific MF performances or a huge surprise from one of these guys up front they'll have a lot of problems scoring.....they need a FW signing or a MF goal scorer/creator.
Well Acosta and Senger would probably be the answer... The Swiss Division 2 (apparently not the highest quality D-2 in europe) thing for Senger scares me but at least Acosta has played in the 1st Division in Argentina and Ecuador .

Not to sound like a broken record but we really still need some help up front... I was pleased to see Eddy get a MLS contract but realistically he is not a starter in this league he hopefully will be a good "super sub" type player but thats it. At the moment here is our forward core:

Justin Braun - signed

Mike Fucito - signed

Carl Haworth - drafted/not signed

Evan James - drafted/not signed

Steven Miller - drafted/not signed

Miguel Montaño - signed

Aaron Schoenfeld -drafted/not signed

Sebrango - singed

I heard that despite going in supplemental draft Schoenfeld has size and decent nose for goal and Evan James has had a good pre-season but any thoughts guys?

Gutted to hear Sebango has been singed, I really liked his eyebrows.

In other news, Westlake has been let go.

Bernardo Corradi has joined the team in Orlando on trial... 50 goals in 270 games in Serie A for Parma, Udinese, Reggina, and Chievo and 13 games in the National team in 2003-04... 35 years old coming off a stint at Udinese mainly used as a substitute.

How much is left in the tank?

Judging from his goal scoring totals this year (8 goals in 24 games) and last (19 goals in 38 games), DiVaio has quite a bit left in the tank. I think he would be a good signing and probably at a reasonable price for a DP since he has had a solid playing career but won't carry a "big name premium".

Corradi is certainly worth a look as well. The last two years he has only scored one Serie A goal but has hardly played any minutes despite a lot of appearances since a lot of his appearances were for 1 minute or very low minutes. On the other hand he did get playing time in the Coppa Italia and has scored 4 goals in 4 games in the last two years. Throughout his career he has scored at a decent pace when he has been a starter and not so much as a substitute. As long as he is not demanding too much money it would certainly be worth giving him a shot if there is an out clause in the contract if he proves not to have it anymore.

Good signing, will have a lot on his shoulders this expansion season.

An attacker would have alot on his shoulders, but Montreal has a quality backline (Ferrari, Rivas, Valentin, Wahl, etc.) and the pressure will be shared amongst those players.

An attacker would have alot on his shoulders.

It`s reasonably probable that by June he would be behind DiVaio (or similar), Corradi, Braun, Fucito, Sebrango and Montano on the depth chart at forward along with Arnaud and Neagle at times.

Archived