Montreal MLS roster discussion

That young already four seasons of Eurpean football under his belt, too.

Yes, when I saw Swiss D2 I wasn't very impressed but when you compare his games played by that age, to a local kid here toiling that long in USL or PDL or NCAA it looks like a pretty good depth/youth signing with upside.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/news/2011/12/le-milieu-de-terrain-felipe-campanholi-martins-se-joint-impact

Felipe Martins, Brazilian from Lugano (Swiss D2) player, very young (20)

It could work out good for you. Ours worked out great!

As for the development the best thing that ever happened was NO CAP HIT for homegrown! So your salary cap will be close to 3 million for those you don't develop. Once the academies get rolling you'll see a huge advantage because if you can keep half your team home grown you have a total cap of 5-6 million. Yea I know how long that will take but it will happen.

It could work out good for you. Ours worked out great!

As for the development the best thing that ever happened was NO CAP HIT for homegrown! So your salary cap will be close to 3 million for those you don't develop. Once the academies get rolling you'll see a huge advantage because if you can keep half your team home grown you have a total cap of 5-6 million. Yea I know how long that will take but it will happen.

Does that work for players the Impact now sign that are homegrown by the Impact previously in the USL/NASL? i.e. Ilcu/Crepeau/Agourram

^Yes. MLS will recognize the NASL year as counting toward the 1 year mimimum to sign a home grown player. We did this with Teibert and Khalfan.

Also, Tim's post is a little overstated. Homegrown players still must fit into the developmental rosters (ie. off-budget) and the salary structure thereof ($32-42k). The only exception is that two players per year can be added as Generation Adidas. We've done this with Teibert and Alderson. The GA contracts usually run 2-4 years. So you might be able to have 6-8 GA players on your developmental roster at a given time. But once these guys go "on-budget" they could have large contracts to contend with. (Teibert's is only 55K, but in theory these guys can sign for whatever the market will bear).

^Yes. MLS will recognize the NASL year as counting toward the 1 year mimimum to sign a home grown player. We did this with Teibert and Khalfan.

Also, Tim's post is a little overstated. Homegrown players still must fit into the developmental rosters (ie. off-budget) and the salary structure thereof ($32-42k). The only exception is that two players per year can be added as Generation Adidas. We've done this with Teibert and Alderson. The GA contracts usually run 2-4 years. So you might be able to have 6-8 GA players on your developmental roster at a given time. But once these guys go "on-budget" they could have large contracts to contend with. (Teibert's is only 55K, but in theory these guys can sign for whatever the market will bear).

Ok thanks

• 2 weeks later...
And almost of the Spanish National Team plays on two clubs. Really, outside of Barca and Real Madrid, La Liga with its restrictions isn't very good.

The EPL minus Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal, Man C, Tottenham isn't good. Quite frankly, it's actually very autrocious to watch most of the time.

OUCH!

Ching may be past his 'prime' but he is still pretty damn good.

They have to send him out on the town to meet Montreal women, his heart will be in it soon enough.

Took a while but look at Beckham, his family likes LA now, so they dont want to move. Montreal is an awesome city, shouldn't be hard to sell him on it.

Is it me or we're seeing more and more speculations/talks in the past 24 hours about Luca Toni going to Montreal?

Nick De Santis confirms IMFC have not made contract offers to Luca Toni, and talks about the club's approach to the up coming MLS Superdraft.

Podcast from Oranges at half time with Noel Butler

http://www2.tsn.ca/window/podcastcentre look for TSN Radio 990 Oranges @ Halftime with Nick De Santis

NASL scoring champ Etienne Barbara is apparently angry at the Montreal Impact since they aren't really interested in him and retain his MLS rights through a discovery claim. You can understand his frustration since he cannot negotiate with any MLS club. It is one of MLS's kooky rule they need to get rid of. But no team has shown interest in trading for him. So he is stuck. Never mind MLS not wanting him, 20 goals at the D2 American level isn't getting him any overseas offers either. I guess they think the NASL is akin to the Isthmian League or something. So basically he is a player no one really wants at the moment. He doesn't want to return the NASL, unless as a last resort, since he knows that would be a huge blow for his career.

I hope Montreal just cuts him loose since he is not worth anything. Let him go try to catch on with another MLS team. He might not even make a MLS squad. I think Barbara has to realize that he has to prove himself at a higher level than the Malta league or NASL before anyone gives a bleep about him.

NASL scoring champ Etienne Barbara is apparently angry at the Montreal Impact since they aren't really interested in him and retain his MLS rights through a discovery claim. You can understand his frustration since he cannot negotiate with any MLS club. It is one of MLS's kooky rule they need to get rid of. But no team has shown interest in trading for him. So he is stuck. Never mind MLS not wanting him, 20 goals at the D2 American level isn't getting him any overseas offers either. I guess they think the NASL is akin to the Isthmian League or something. So basically he is a player no one really wants at the moment. He doesn't want to return the NASL, unless as a last resort, since he knows that would be a huge blow for his career.

I hope Montreal just cuts him loose since he is not worth anything. Let him go try to catch on with another MLS team. He might not even make a MLS squad. I think Barbara has to realize that he has to prove himself at a higher level than the Malta league or NASL before anyone gives a bleep about him.

Hmmm, I guess he wants to stay in the US/Canada then? I'm sure MTL is interested in him if they put in the claim but probably not at the $$ he wants. He should to catch on with a team in Mexico.

I'm not sure his anger is rational. My understanding is that MLS negotiates player contracts on behalf of the clubs. If some other club in MLS wanted him, I'm sure the Impact would "sign" him and receive some allocation in return. I suspect MLS did give him an offer in $100k range and he turned it down wanting more. He's blaming the Impact now, but I don't think they are holding him hostage.

I'm not sure his anger is rational. My understanding is that MLS negotiates player contracts on behalf of the clubs. If some other club in MLS wanted him, I'm sure the Impact would "sign" him and receive some allocation in return. I suspect MLS did give him an offer in $100k range and he turned it down wanting more. He's blaming the Impact now, but I don't think they are holding him hostage.

No chance they offered him 100k, my guess is something more like 50-60k which is why he turned it down.

Archived