Montreal MLS roster discussion

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry if this is already posted, but I thought it was interesting:

"Meanwhile, former Impact coach Marc Dos Santos has been named director of the academy of one of Brazil's top clubs, Palmeiras."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/impact-boss-heads-to-europe-to-search-for-designated-player/article2332987/

That's a pretty sweet gig for a foreigner to land I'd assume most go to brazilians.

How do people feel about Montreal's roster so far?

I don't see where the offense is going to come from. If I were Marsch I would have drafted Mattocks instead of Wenger, not signed Ching, and looked to Colombia/Ecuador for 2-3 offensive studs. I also don't know if I would have taken the chance on Rivas at CB given his past injury woes.

Impact fans seem to think their going to at least be better than New England this year, so far I don't really see a reason for that confidence.

I don't see where the offense is going to come from. If I were Marsch I would have drafted Mattocks instead of Wenger, not signed Ching, and looked to Colombia/Ecuador for 2-3 offensive studs. I also don't know if I would have taken the chance on Rivas at CB given his past injury woes.

Impact fans seem to think their going to at least be better than New England this year, so far I don't really see a reason for that confidence.

You can't knock their pre-season thus far, I'll save my judgement for when they hit the pitch for real. I think they look good, they've got experience in the league which is important.

I think we are a side so far with a lot of average and depth MLS players but not many top performers especially in the offensive department. This is a contrast to the Caps of last year and TFC for many years which had a few top players but a really poor supporting cast with little depth. Often those teams had to start players who did not really belong in the league let alone be starters. I think the present team will be able to avoid having players on the field who don't belong in MLS but at present would still have players playing a larger role than they are capable of. I would bet that a team like ours with a lot of average/depth players would do better than the really uneven teams that TFC and the Caps had in the past but nevertheless would not be that great of a team. I am expecting though that at least a few of remaining signings will be top players in which case we should have a pretty decent team that could challenge for a playoff spot. Without these top players I think we will still be better than the Caps of last year but still near the bottom of the table.

BTW, I would have taken Mattocks too, the only reason I could see for not selecting him is that he might not be in the league that long. Marsch has made a few good trades and his draft selections have been decent in general but I think he could have done better. My impression of him so far is that he is a competent coach/manager but not outstanding. Still competent is far better than TFC during the Mo years and Vancouver last year. TT is someone I rate to be competent but not outstanding either but I suspect his input on many of the decisions before he was fired was limited.

I think as far as goalkeeping, defense and midfield we are not too bad off but we are thin up front. For our forward core I like Braun and that's about it lol I'm not convinced of Ching's "heart" for Montreal, Montano didn't really impress me that much in NASL last year and I love Sebrango but he is really only going to be useful as a "super sub" type player. So thus being said we need a couple quality forwards badly. (1 creative/"set up" guy/another "finisher").

There is still a lot afoot in terms of potential signings, perhaps even a DP as hinted at by Saputo on twitter today. I don't see any reason to begin a serious judgement of what the results on the pitch will be during the regular season when as many as 2-3 important parts of the starting XI may not even have signed yet.

Montreal Impact are not done signing players. Infact a new signing is expected to be announced tomorrow, and Joey Saputo just back from Europe tweeted that he might have found his man (DP?)

http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/soccer/2012/02/13/001-mls-impact-ching.shtml

SRC is reporting that Montreal has reached a deal to return Brian Chin to Houston. But no reports of the compensation.

And a yet to be named european signing will join the club. A DP who is on a national team and plays first division.

The player to join the club tomorrow isn't the DP and is rumoured to be Lucas Acosta. The DP is rumoured by Goal.com to be Louis Saha or a surprise change of heart on the part of Del Piero.

The player to join the club tomorrow isn't the DP and is rumoured to be Lucas Acosta. The DP is rumoured by Goal.com to be Louis Saha or a surprise change of heart on the part of Del Piero.

Acosta would be a good signing. Hoping it's not Del Piero for DP as he's a bit too old. Saha is playing well for Spurs right now, doubt he will join.2 offensive signings would be great news for the Impact

Acosta would be a good signing. Hoping it's not Del Piero for DP as he's a bit too old. Saha is playing well for Spurs right now, doubt he will join.2 offensive signings would be great news for the Impact

I agree that although Saha's contract is up in June I'm not sure he nor Spurs would want to part ways unless he does nothing from here on in after scoring a brace on his debut. Del Piero would be a great signing as he would be huge from a team marketing and visibility perspective which is all important in these early (expansion) stages particularly in such a one-sport town and would likely be able to influence matches though admittedly he is over the hill compared to his past exploits.

Ballack is probably still a possibility as well. Recently he was visibly pissed off about being subbed off in a game and the fans (many who consider him a Bayer icon) booed the coach as a result. Afterwards there were some harsh words from Bayer management about his behaviour and some have suggested he might be released early from his contract.

Today's rumour is that Italian central defender Matteo Ferrari http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matteo_Ferrari will join the club. According to La Presse the unknown Italian defender does'nt have a contract yet but has already agreed to the amount of money he would receive if he were to sign. He is supposed to be on a plane to LA to meet with Jesse marsch who is the one making the final decision.

So why is this unknown defender rumored to be matteo ferrari? Patrick leduc made a joke about the unknown player having a car's name and Joey Saputo who was in Italy earlier this week said the player had experience at a high level in Europe and played with his national team.

So why is this unknown defender rumored to be matteo ferrari? Patrick leduc made a joke about the unknown player having a car's name and Joey Saputo who was in Italy earlier this week said the player had experience at a high level in Europe and played with his national team.

David Bentley would suite all those criterias as well

That sucks...Ferrari is a decent pick up especially with injury to Rivas and that he is not a DP. BUT we still are still too thin up front and it looks like Ching is gone too.

If Ferrari is signed we will obviously have some defenders who we can trade for offensive players. We may get an offensive player back for Ching and if it is a defender like Hainault again I would assume we would have some deals in the works to trade one of our other defenders for an offensive player.

Archived