Montreal MLS roster discussion

No chance they offered him 100k, my guess is something more like 50-60k which is why he turned it down.

+1

I think Barbara is an insurance for IMFC at this point. He's probably the option they will go to, if they can't sign anyone else. It also doesn't help that he takes up an international spot.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Barbara probably got offered the vet min. Which is 43k for 2012 I believe. I doubt he was getting anymore in ownerless Carolina since he was talking about also getting his housing paid for. The days of players making decent salaries in D2 are now over with the Impact leaving. Almost all have to take second jobs. He probably expected to get a big bump from MLS based on his 20 goals in D2. But failed to realize that no one gives a crap.

I'm not sure his anger is rational. My understanding is that MLS negotiates player contracts on behalf of the clubs. If some other club in MLS wanted him, I'm sure the Impact would "sign" him and receive some allocation in return. I suspect MLS did give him an offer in $100k range and he turned it down wanting more. He's blaming the Impact now, but I don't think they are holding him hostage.

I think his problem is the discovery claim thing. It's weird that a club he has nothing to do with can claim his MLS rights without his say. And he can't negotiate with anther MLS team. Where he is wrong is...

#1 - Getting insulted that Jesse Marsch wanted tape on him. He says he played Montreal over 10 times the past couple of years and they should know him. Sorry, but Jesse Marsch is a MLS guy and doesn't know NASL players. I am sorry Mr. Barbara, but not many are familiar with the such a tiny league. And the games weren't televised.

#2 - Thinking that dominating the NASL means anything. The lack of interest from MLS and overseas should tell him that. I think he expected MLS, German, and Scandinavian offers to come pouring in. His Scottish agent can't even get him a look from a Scottish team. Scoring 20 goals in MLS will get you Euro offers or a huge MLS pay raise. Scoring 20 goals in the NASL, against players not good enough for MLS, gets you nothing.

Even marginal MLS players like Robby Rodgers and good players like Tim Ream are good enough to transfer to clubs like Leeds and Bolton. Barbara should take what he can get from any MLS team and prove himself at that level..

I think that's a little bit too dismissive. It's a pretty typical D2 to D1 situation.

His success in NASL / USL doesn't mean he will be successful in MLS, but it means something. I think market pay would be something slightly more than league minimum but nothing exorbitant. Like 75k-125 range.

I can see why players get angry at these situations. The MLS bargaining process is pretty heavy-handed.

To be honest Barbara probably should have tried out for an MLS club a couple years back, now that he is not 20-25yrs old and the fact he counts as a International hurts him a lot. Despite this he is clearly a player too good for D2 but may have waited too long to prove himself in MLS (D1) and would have probably done alright in MLS if given the chance. Anyways like a previous comment if Joey/Jesse and co. cannot lure a DP forward in time for start of the season they may give him a few more bucks and take the chance.

I can see why players get angry at these situations. The MLS bargaining process is pretty heavy-handed.

Yet he can sign anywhere in the world he wants. And so far no one wants him. Let him go try and earn 75k-125k in another league if MLS is undervaluing him. China, Scotland, Denmark, Australia, where ever. Nothing is stopping him. The world sets the market for a player. MLS upped the pay for the players in the recent draft because Scandinavian teams were after them. MLS adjusted to the market. Babara has no bargaining power.

The problem with Barabra is that he is nearly 30 and an unproven on any decent level. Scoring 20 goals in the NASL/USL doesn't mean anything. MLS clubs would rather go with proven talent, young cheap players who are as good/better than Barbara, or those that have played on a much higher level from abroad.

And this isn't MLS bargaining. The Impact are free to offer him any contract they want. They obviously don't feel he is worth much at this time.

Yet he can sign anywhere in the world he wants. And so far no one wants him. Let him go try and earn 75k-125k in another league if MLS is undervaluing him. China, Scotland, Denmark, Australia, where ever. Nothing is stopping him. The world sets the market for a player. MLS upped the pay for the players in the recent draft because Scandinavian teams were after them. MLS adjusted to the market. Babara has no bargaining power.

Teams in North America have a better understanding of his ability to play and hence his value. He also has to apply for a work visa anywhere else he goes as opposed to here where he's established. Those are real obstacles to picking up and going elsewhere.

The problem with Barabra is that he is nearly 30 and an unproven on any decent level. Scoring 20 goals in the NASL/USL doesn't mean anything. MLS clubs would rather go with proven talent, young cheap players who are as good/better than Barbara, or those that have played on a much higher level from abroad.

Disagreed, because if that we're true, why is IMFC putting a discovery claim on him?

And this isn't MLS bargaining. The Impact are free to offer him any contract they want. They obviously don't feel he is worth much at this time.

But effectively it is, because nobody else can offer him a contract.

All I am saying is the process should not be restricted in the way it is currently. What does football in North America gain by him going to some other continent? If all teams can negotiate with him and everyone takes a pass, so be it. But don't restrict it to one team and assume because they wouldn't pay more than X that his value is that number.

Impact invite three players to the Mexican swing of their training camp.

''Three more international players were invited to take part in the Mexican tour. Young Columbians Daniel Arcila Villa and Juan José Peña, along with Francisco “Panchito” Mendoza, a 26-year-old Mexican midfielder who played 118 games with Chivas USA and four games in Mexcio’s first division, will take to the field in Guadalajara with the rest of the boys in blue.::

Daniel Arcila Villa and José Peña seem to be youth players, in the Columbian national program.

Francisco “Panchito” Mendoza was an original Chivas USA player ... another midfielder.

http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/news/2012/01/mike-sorber-anxious-train-mexico

Impact likely to adopt a latino style of play not only to reflect the French/Italian leanings of QC, but also to continue to build links with the Serie A teams they have done so re: friendlies......these )potential) signings are logical.

New player for Montreal this morning, canadian striker Evan James was training with the club this morning, he will be the team's first pick in the supplemental draft later today.

Didn't see this posted anywhere. Another Canadian was drafted by Montreal, Carl Haworth of Niagara University, who has seen a U23 call up if i'm not mistaken.

hmmm...other than a possible u23 cap/call-up what do we know about this kid .... will he be another guy in MLS who is filling numbers cheaply or does he have potential?

Well you don't know if he'll even earn a contract yet. Is he even in camp? He didn't play vs. Chivas (32 players did). From his youtube videos he looks pretty good.

Didn't see this posted anywhere. Another Canadian was drafted by Montreal, Carl Haworth of Niagara University, who has seen a U23 call up if i'm not mistaken.

I had played a game against Carl a few years ago when he was playing for Barrie. He was good, but we weren't playing at a particularly high level. Though he was a call up for that team at the time and a few years can make a big difference at a younger age.

However I don't believe he is even in Mexico with the Impact right now, so I'm not sure what the deal is

For some reason I just can't see Ballack coming to or fitting in Montreal. There's not a large German community there. Plus, it's not in midfield the Impact needs improvement on, it's attack. Montreal would be better getting a superstar striker that's: Italian, Portuguese, Greek, Polish, Romanian, Russian, or Moroccan.

Someone like Toni, Mutu (Cesena is in the relegation zone) or even Charisteas (he's not getting much playing time either for Panetolikos ???)

Please tell me you didn't just mention Charisteas in a discussion about DP's??? He is washed up, he has been for several years actually and the fact that he returned to Greece to play for Panetolikos (a newly promoted side) says a lot.

If you want to talk about a Greek DP at striker there are much better options. You could go dig Theofanis Gekas out of Turkey (Samsunspor, he transferred there in January from Eintracht Frankfurt and already has 2 goals in 2 appearances). Whatever criticisms have been leveled against him, the guy has proven that he has a nose for goal in the 18 yard box (Bundesliga Golden Boot 06-07 season). If you wanted someone younger, there's Kostas Mitroglou who is on loan at Atromitos from Olympiakos and having a decent year (7 goals in 14 appearances).

Archived