Montreal MLS roster discussion

So which game have they been resting him for? Is it possible he has just lost his starting spot?

It's a long season, and he'll get his chance to earn it back. He wasn't the only one being rested today. Gardner, Mapp, Arnaud, and Braun all began the game on the bench.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any word on why Bernier didn't see minutes? I suppose they could have been resting part of the roster for TFC but then again...

Marsch said something about how Bernier has to adjust to the MLS game from the European game .. he sits back too much? I don't think De Guzman ever made the adjustment..

Marsch said something about how Bernier has to adjust to the MLS game from the European game .. he sits back too much? I don't think De Guzman ever made the adjustment..
Bernier himself wrote an article about it on RDS.ca and says that Warner is being favored right now for tactical reasons due to his style of play, it`s a bummer not to start but that these things can change and also he`s happy to be considered a constant member of the 18.

Bernier himself wrote an article about it on RDS.ca and says that Warner is being favored right now for tactical reasons due to his style of play, it`s a bummer not to start but that these things can change and also he`s happy to be considered a constant member of the 18.

Patrice wont be starting tonight against FC Dallas.

So they aren't performing. All 3 are aging....what's the big deal? The CMNT CM should be Simpson (#10), Johnson, Atiba anyway....Dunfield shouldn't really be anywhere near the CMNT at this point. Bernier>Dunfield though. JDG was a stud but he's just simply moving past it now. Sad but true...

So they aren't performing. All 3 are aging....what's the big deal? The CMNT CM should be Simpson (#10), Johnson, Atiba anyway....Dunfield shouldn't really be anywhere near the CMNT at this point. Bernier>Dunfield though. JDG was a stud but he's just simply moving past it now. Sad but true...

The big deal is that Bernier and JDG are two of our top DMs and we are in a WCQ year. Simpson isn't a central midfielder, nor a #10. Its more than saying "hey, we have Johnson and Atiba", as you know we never get a fully healthy squad.. we need depth.

The big deal is that Bernier and JDG are two of our top DMs and we are in a WCQ year. Simpson isn't a central midfielder, nor a #10. Its more than saying "hey, we have Johnson and Atiba", as you know we never get a fully healthy squad.. we need depth.

It`s worth pointing out from a CMNT perspective that Bernier hasn`t lost his position due to weak play; he played a great game against NYRB and that was his last start. He`s lost his spot for now due to tactical reasons.

@Keegan - Johnson is a better DM than JDG and Bernier, with more youth and upside. I know RSL plays him the right of centre or the left of centre due to Beckerman, but Johnson is the superior selection. YES< depth is critical.

I guess we agree to disagree.

@Keegan - Johnson is a better DM than JDG and Bernier, with more youth and upside. I know RSL plays him the right of centre or the left of centre due to Beckerman, but Johnson is the superior selection. YES< depth is critical.

I guess we agree to disagree.

I agree that he is better, all I'm saying is that we need JDG and Bernier too... chances of Johnson and Hutch being available for all 6 matches are weak

^ Are you referring to health or club commitments? I can't remember, but has there been precedent for clubs pressuring players from playing in WCQ's. I was under the impression that players are always available (injury & personal reasons barring) for qualifiers.

Probably worse for Canada is not that JDG and Bernier aren't playing much (well, JDG actually has logged a tonne of minutes so far but sat this last match) but that the team's best midfielder hasn't played a game in midfield in forever. Atiba Hutchinson is a right back now, and a good one, which doesn't do Stephen Hart much good.

^ Are you referring to health or club commitments? I can't remember, but has there been precedent for clubs pressuring players from playing in WCQ's. I was under the impression that players are always available (injury & personal reasons barring) for qualifiers.

They are always available for WCQs, I'm referring to injuries and card accumulation. JDG is going to play a major role this year like it or not, we need him playing at his best.

Anyone else think Warner has just been incredible this year for the Impact? I thought he was our MotM again tonight. With the chalkboards on the MLS website now you can really see how much of an impact he has on matches. He wins tackles in the midfield and spreads the ball out better than most central midfielders in the MLS.

I think the Impact lack a bit of grit in the centre of midfield with only Felipe and Warner, but I'd like to see how a 5 man midfield with Bernier joining them would look, because I think they'd be able to boss several MLS midfields off the park.

Anyone else think Warner has just been incredible this year for the Impact? I thought he was our MotM again tonight. With the chalkboards on the MLS website now you can really see how much of an impact he has on matches. He wins tackles in the midfield and spreads the ball out better than most central midfielders in the MLS.

I think the Impact lack a bit of grit in the centre of midfield with only Felipe and Warner, but I'd like to see how a 5 man midfield with Bernier joining them would look, because I think they'd be able to boss several MLS midfields off the park.

Warner is playing wel enough that I really don't think Bernier has lost his spot due to his own playing badly, but simply due to Warners very good play.

my 2 cents: Whoever it will be I'm most certain it will be someone from Serie A. Just an inkling considering the Impact's history. In the past they more or less gone with players of Italian lineage. Some commentators have mentioned already the Italian theme the Impact have so would not surprise me if the first DP is Italian or a player that played in Serie A.

I still think it's Di Viao. I got a good feeling about it. Little words from ear to ear sounds more truth to me specially when its this hush hush. Also to see his number 9 is available in the organization it this time could suggest its his "waiting for him at the end of his season" as a MTL player, But I guess it could be said the same for the number 9 player of that of Milan once circlulated is Inzaghi either one for me is a good one no doubt they will be a better team on the pitch.

Also yesterday rumored as well Nesta and Gatuso also considering coming to the MLS....I know Gatuso would love to come to Toronto and has a large Italian fans base maybe his passion could help the team in their worst start ever, Nesta I believe will go to NY. Ballak will not come till the next season according to press releases and he comes I would think he will end up in LA.

Just rumors but these are my guesses

^ Gattuso's English is brilliant as well after his time in Scotland, and I believe his wife is Scottish too, so no doubt he's kept the level up. DiVaio would be a great pickup in my opinion as he has scored pretty much everywhere he has been and one would hope he would continue that trend in the MLS.

Archived