Montreal MLS roster discussion

Targeting a specific nationality for a DP is a recipe for disaster imo, fans of the game just want a player they can cheer for who will excite them. Just look at Vancouver with Hassli, he was a French complete unknown who came in and instantly became a fan favourite. I think Danny K is a good example as well for a player who isn't recognizable to the casual fan but his performances have quickly earned him hero status among the TFC faithful. I think when you guys get a DP their playing style and longevity should be taken into account first and foremost and if the player happens to be a recognizable name for a certain community it's a bonus. At the end of the day though, fans will be there if the team is winning.. sure they might come for a bit to see a washed up name but if he isn't performing and the team isn't performing it won't last.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lee isn't a DP, so moot point.

Exactly, I considered Lee but he's not a DP and he shouldn't be. Vancouver needed someone in his position desperately, the fact he is Korean is a definite bonus but if they were worried solely about that fact and his economic impact he would have commanded more $$. IMO Vancouver paid for his performance value with his contract (hopefully). Vancouver lucked out with the fact that he seemingly wants to live there.

I'm curious to know how the season ticket sales are going so far for the Impact. I thought I heard Saputo mention that season tickets are not going as good as was expected. Does anyone know how season tickets sales are going?

I'm curious to know how the season ticket sales are going so far for the Impact. I thought I heard Saputo mention that season tickets are not going as good as was expected. Does anyone know how season tickets sales are going?

I don't know how the sales are going, but I wouldn't be surprised, the marketing is laughable. Largely invisible, boring when visible, and instantly forgettable to anyone who does not already know the team.

Ya on that note SID LEE (Advertising/Design co.) has not done an exceptional job at all. Also as far as season tickets I got mine last week and there is some left but not that much from what I gather. On another note does anyone think we have a chance getting Raul?

sup Chris !

sadly we're only at 7000 right now ... but in Montreal fashion, the fans will wait until the last minute I believe

I don't see Raul leaving Europe ...

Canadian content watch: Sebrango, Ilcu, Gatti, and Pizzolitto have all been invited to stay with the Impact in California after the Mexico training camp, with only Agourram being cut after Mexico. There are 5 roster spots remaining if I'm not mistaken, and a DP not looking likely at east for now. It's entirely possible several of those mentioned could make the club, to add to Bernier and Sutton already being signed. There are also Howarth and James who I see are on the official roster on the team website.

Canadian content watch: Sebrango, Ilcu, Gatti, and Pizzolitto have all been invited to stay with the Impact in California after the Mexico training camp, with only Agourram being cut after Mexico. There are 5 roster spots remaining if I'm not mistaken, and a DP not looking likely at east for now. It's entirely possible several of those mentioned could make the club, to add to Bernier and Sutton already being signed. There are also Howarth and James who I see are on the official roster on the team website.

Any guesses for who sticks?

sup Chris !

sadly we're only at 7000 right now ... but in Montreal fashion, the fans will wait until the last minute I believe

Yeah it doesn't surprise me. In my opinion people there probably want to feel convinced before putting whatever remaining bit of hard earned cash into the Impact that the Quebec govt or city of MTL hasn't taxed out of them. Although you can argue that last season has no bearing on this season, to the fan that doesn't realize it is almost a completely different team, they won't put money down til they see results. Also I blame crappy marketing - and to think they did all that propaganda but* kissing and still only wound up with 7,000 that's NASL numbers! Also the fact that they never landed a star DP for the beginning of the year yet were throwing names like Del Pierro, Inzaghi, Toni, Anelka, Trezeguet, and lastly Ballack just to have De Santis back track by saying there's no pressure getting one, if they do get one they're looking more to get one for July, that they'll see then what their needs are - ah hello... McFly!?! You need someone to put the ball in the net! People in MTL like their superstars. Plus they like to see hometown players and Bernier is nice but they could find more, good thing for Sebrango, Ilcu, Gatti and Pizzolitto advancing to the next camp. http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/montreal-impact-remaining-calm-ex-chelsea-ace-ballack-2668261

Any guesses for who sticks?

Based on last year's performances, Sebrango and Gatti could be good subs in MLS. Ilcu, at ony 19, would probably be a good candidate to stay in the academy for most MLS teams, except that after striking out on several DP forwards the Impact are extremely thin on attack so he probably has a good chance of sticking with the big club. The only thing is there are a few young draftee forwards that are being listed on the website roster, among them two other Canadians, so there is some decent competition for that type of spot for an up-and-coming forward prospect. With Rivas, Thomas, Camara, Burling etc at CB it's hard to make a case for Pizzolitto IMO given his total lack of pace and distribution in the past 2 seasons.

A little suprised about Reda.. Didn't he score a couple goals in Mexico?

He scored a goal against a university team we beat 7-0. Not surprised at all, from what I have seen from Reda's play over the last two seasons I am not sure he is even a NASL calibre starter at the moment let alone MLS. Great guy and fan favourite but the results and effectiveness on the field were not there. He has some natural ability though so hopefully he can catch on with another NASL team and keep working on his game and if he improves maybe come back to the Impact some day. Ilcu impressed me in the few times he played this year and while I don't think he is MLS ready I hope we keep him on the reserve team and let him train with the 1st team. Gatti could be a useful depth player. Really hoping Sebrango makes the team because I think it would be well deserved and a fitting end to his career and I think he can still give something even if it is only as a sub for 20 minutes. He would also be a great role model for a young team. I hope Pizzolito is only being held over for appearances sake as respect to a longtime veteran. He had a great career with the club but it is time to show loyalty to him by giving him a coaching job in the academy.

Apparently Camara is out (injured) and Rivas could be out for up to 2 months... Also Burling hasn't officially signed!? Hate to say it but I could see pizzolito making the team now... Also don't we have the MLS rights to Brad Rusin (step up on Nevio)?

Rivas has been injury plagued in the last few years of his career. This was the big question mark people brought up when he was signed. So far, it looks like that fear is warranted.

Archived