Montreal MLS roster discussion

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is official. Corradi signs:

http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/news/2012/03/impact-signs-italian-striker-bernardo-corradi

The Impact signs Italian striker Bernardo Corradi

68 goals in Serie A, also played with Valencia and Manchester City

March 15, 2012

Press Release

Montreal Impact

MONTREAL - The Montreal Impact announced on Thursday that the club has come to terms with Italian striker Bernardo Corradi. He will officially be added to the Montreal Impact roster and be eligible for selection in competitive matches pending receipt of his ITC. As per MLS and club policy, terms of the contract were not disclosed.

The 35-year-old has over 250 games experience in Serie A, most notably with Chievo Verona, Lazio and Udinese. He’s scored 68 goals over that span, winning a European Super Cup and a Coppa Italia in 2004.

He’s appeared in one Champions League game with Inter and eight UEFA Cup games with Lazio, scoring one goal. He most recently spent time with Serie A side Udinese, from 2009-2011, appearing in 37 games, and scoring four goals in three Coppa Italia games.

“It’s been good to have Bernardo here with us for a couple of weeks,” said Impact head coach Jesse Marsch. “He’s shown in that time that he’s a good player, a good leader and has great experience. We are excited to have him as a part of our group and we feel he can help us be a better team.”

Corradi joined the Impact for training camp in Florida on February 28 following a trial invitation. He saw action in the Impact’s final game of the preseason, a 1-0 win on March 3rd against Swedish first division side BK Hacken, assisting on the game’s only goal.

“I’m happy to join the club and the Impact family,” said Corradi. “I had a feeling early on that it would be a good fit for both sides. Now, I will do my best to help the team reach the level that this club and this city deserve.”

Corradi played in Spain’s La Liga with Valencia in 2004-2005, scoring three goals in 21 games, while playing eight games in European competition, including the UEFA Super Cup final. He also had a spell with Manchester City in the English Premier League in 2006-2007, scoring three goals in 25 games.

At the international level, he’s made 13 appearances for the Italian National Team in 2003 and 2004, scoring two goals, and was a member of Italy’s UEFA Euro 2004 squad.

BERNARDO CORRADI

Position: Forward

Height: 6’3”

Weight: 189 lbs

Birth date: March 30, 1976, Siena, Italy

Former club: Udinese (Italy)

Acquired: March 15, 2012

I know that Montreal is an expansion team but I think Marsch has put a poor team together. You look at Seattle and Portland the last few years and it's clear just because a team is in it's 1st year, doesn't mean they can't compete.

There is a lack of creativity and attacking ability on this team. Nyassio runs fast, that's it. There's a reason he's let go in every expansion draft. Waiting until halfway through the season to bring in a goal scoring DP? The season can be lost by that point, ask TFC. Jeb Brovsky who was terrible last year at Vancouver as starting right back? I know Marsch wants players with MLS experience with "grit" and "determination" but give me a break, this isn't the 90's. Sign some Colombian or Ecudorian attacking skill players who represent good value. Everyone is just giving the Impact a free pass because it's their first season, that doesn't have to be an excuse! Give Montrealers a winning team and they will come back next year!

uh buddy ... since when does 2 games make a season?

uh buddy.....So looking at their roster and first two games, what makes you think those things I wrote about will dramatically change? All of the pundits were talking about their lack of offensive ability well before the season started.

Yeah you're so right, The Montreal Impact are going no where after playing a better game then their first game. Portland picked up one point in their first three games, and look how that turned out for them.

Besides The Impact have no injuries, and they won't be signing any DP's.

Montreal Impact might do very poorly this season, but to throw them under the bus after two games is nonsense.

Well, that would not be fair to do that after 2 games, maybe after today's game Lololol just joking busting your chops. But to pass on some good news I am hearing some buzz out of Italy that Di Vaio is moving to Montreal and a done deal. But only after their last game in Serie A.

That would be nice pick if true and a big signing along with littlebird of course lolo.

Yeah you're so right, The Montreal Impact are going no where after playing a better game then their first game. Portland picked up one point in their first three games, and look how that turned out for them.

Besides The Impact have no injuries, and they won't be signing any DP's.

Montreal Impact might do very poorly this season, but to throw them under the bus after two games is nonsense.

Yes because signing Rivas, who has had huge injury problems the last fews years, counts as a surpirse, when in fact, he gets injured again.

And the point about the DP stands. It's all well and good to add one. But waiting until half way through the season may be too late for this offensively challanged team.

Columbus 2 Montreal 0.

As I've said repeatedly, Montreal will struggle to score.

Tough luck on the penalty, however Brovsky is an idiot for going up for a header with his elbow out like that, just asking for trouble, especially with unpredictable MLS referees.

Close to scoring doesn't cut it, they need someone who can score.

Fucito and Neagle haven't really been given much of a chance. Neagle scored a hattrick against Columbus last year with Seattle, but hey, might as well keep him on the bench for the first 69 minutes.

Marco Di Vaio might be great when he arrives in the summer, but at this rate, Montreal will be out of the playoff race by then.

At least they're ahead of TFC in the playoff race at this point!

I thought it was a pretty good game today for Montreal and they caught a rough break with that red card and that penalty was shameful. The same play happened in the second half when someone went in on Arnaud, wasn't even carded...

Midfield and defense look pretty good for a team this new. Filipe and Bernier are quite the combo in the midfield and the backline looks stronger every game.

Strike force is disappointing through and really wasted some solid opportunities, although I will give them credit for consistently holding the ball up and linking play.

Another positive performance for IMFC as they continue to outchance opponents and counter attack well despite possessing zero finishing ability. Again pleasantly surprised at the amount of fight they show in adversity. The refereeing was shocking but that's NA soccer. If there is a combination of a shrewd DP signing and one or two of the current forwards gaining some momentum they could actually win a few games this season which would be above expectations.

Corradi and Di Vaio should help the offence, but they need either a truly creative CM or at least one proper wide player to balance out Arnaud or Nyassi.
I agree! Arnaud is not a wide player! He is an attacking more central midfielder and Nyassi is not a striker!! He actually is a wide midfield player.

• 2 weeks later...
Any word on why Bernier didn't see minutes? I suppose they could have been resting part of the roster for TFC but then again...

Definitely resting him for TFC... and rightly so, the local boys needs to be playing at home three days later vs. their biggest rival still looking for a win.

That article listed someone named Stefan Vuckovic, the TFCA player is Stefan Vukovic.

An easy mistake to make, pretty positive its the same player. Vukovic is no longer listed with TFC and I'd imagine after the year he had and no contract to show for it he's moved on. I did notice however that Makubuya was playing with the Academy in Columbus last week...

Definitely resting him for TFC... and rightly so, the local boys needs to be playing at home three days later vs. their biggest rival still looking for a win.

So which game have they been resting him for? Is it possible he has just lost his starting spot?

Archived