Montreal MLS roster discussion

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This signing hopefully isn't a sign of things to come with another two Canadians that won't see the field!!! If that's the case I won't follow Montreal period.

I couldn't care how many Canadians were on my team as long as the club played well. It would be like worrying if my EPL club were "English" enough. Just give me players to root for. Don't care where they call home if they are quality.

I couldn't care how many Canadians were on my team as long as the club played well. It would be like worrying if my EPL club were "English" enough. Just give me players to root for. Don't care where they call home if they are quality.

Yeah, but if you care about Canadian soccer, which is the point of this forum, then you should be quite concerned with the lack of positions being filled by genuine Canadians in Vancouver and Montreal. Which is what English fans worried about when so many of the EPL clubs starting field teams that were predominantly foreign.

Yeah, but if you care about Canadian soccer, which is the point of this forum, then you should be quite concerned with the lack of positions being filled by genuine Canadians in Vancouver and Montreal. Which is what English fans worried about when so many of the EPL clubs starting field teams that were predominantly foreign.

ding ding. We have a winner.

Which is what English fans worried about when so many of the EPL clubs starting field teams that were predominantly foreign.

And despite the outcry the clubs in the EPL continue to be foreign dominated. Because the best players usually aren't English. And despite this lack of English players, the EPL continues to be the top league in the world and losing no popularity in the UK. Go figure.

So my point still stands that it's about the quality of the club. That should be Vancouver, TFC, and Montreal's top priority. Find the best players. MLS got better when it added more international roster slots.

Frankly, I would eliminate the cap on foreign players all together. It is MLS's job to be the best league it can be. And not some minor feeder league for the Canadian and U.S. National team. Most of whom play in Europe anyway. Canadian and Americans should have to earn those roster spots just like they do in Europe. That makes better players. If a player from Trinidad or Argentina can do the job better, than so be it.

And despite the outcry the clubs in the EPL continue to be foreign dominated. Because the best players usually aren't English. And despite this lack of English players, the EPL continues to be the top league in the world and losing no popularity in the UK. Go figure.

So my point still stands that it's about the quality of the club. That should be Vancouver, TFC, and Montreal's top priority. Find the best players. MLS got better when it added more international roster slots.

Frankly, I would eliminate the cap on foreign players all together. It is MLS's job to be the best league it can be. And not some minor feeder league for the Canadian and U.S. National team. Most of whom play in Europe anyway. Canadian and Americans should have to earn those roster spots just like they do in Europe. That makes better players. If a player from Trinidad or Argentina can do the job better, than so be it.

How has the English national team fared with no citizenship requirement restrictions in its league?

How has the Spanish national team fared with citizenship requirement restrictions in its league?

I believe your thoughts are incorrect on many levels, but I'll just stop after that one point.

How has the English national team fared with no citizenship requirement restrictions in its league?

How has the Spanish national team fared with citizenship requirement restrictions in its league?

I believe your thoughts are incorrect on many levels, but I'll just stop after that one point.

Ding ding ding.. I'll add another, check out the rosters for the two teams that played in the CWC final

That would be fine if that was how football leagues functioned the world over. However, the vast majority of football leagues have foreigner quotas which force the Canadian players to be not as good as domestic and foreigners of other nations but indeed they must be better than them to win a spot. Not only that, the MLS itself has foreigner restrictions against Canadians other than on the three Canadian teams. Almost the entire world of football has decided that developing domestic talent is a priority in leagues and that there will be restrictions on foreign players. Unless that changes in the future we need to do the same or we will be discriminating against our own citizens and condemning our national team to mediocrity. A certain amount of foreign talent can improve a league and allow the domestic players to play at a higher level. However, that improvement/higher level is lost when there are hardly any domestic players playing in the league.

For fun does anyone have any idea on what formation Marsch is going to use? I would say fairly conservative from what I have read on him at Chivas (assistant I believe) . Here is my take at the present?

4-4-2

2 Forwards (1 Target/1 more playmaker/withdrawn forward ?)

4 Midfielders (2 attack wide payers/2 more defensive central mids)

4 Defenders ( Classic 4 at the back hopefully Valentin can occasionally create a spark going forward)

(Def not ching lol probably a more technical DP maybe??) Braun

Mapp ------------------- Nyassi

Bernier - Camara (Ubi/Westlake/Arnaud?)

Wahl - Burling (Camara?) - Rivas - Valentin

Ricketts

Yeah that's about as much as we can really guess right now.

There's a lot of confusion circulating right now because Gerba's agent told a local reporter that he's still under contract for next year. It's not an MLS contract just an Impact one. Whatever that means. Personally, I saw that as long as Sebrango was not there shaming him into hustling and running, Gerba was pretty much Fatty McWhydDidn'tYouBounceItInOffMyHead.

MLS signed Jamaican Darren Mattocks to a GA contract. Significant since he should be the #1 pick for Montreal. He was expected to go to Europe, but MLS coughed up a decent contract.

So the EPL, the most popular league in the world, should put restrictions on foreigners to improve the English national team? How silly. Do you think a Man City fan is bemoaning the lack of English players on his club or is he rooting for his club to buy the best available foreigners so they can kick Man U's arse? And almost of the Spanish National Team plays on two clubs. Really, outside of Barca and Real Madrid, La Liga with its restrictions isn't very good.

My view is that the club is suppose to put the best players they can find on the pitch. All three clubs are investing in academies so it is not like they won't be mining local talent. Explain to me how that is wrong?

So the EPL, the most popular league in the world, should put restrictions on foreigners to improve the English national team? How silly. Do you think a Man City fan is bemoaning the lack of English players on his club or is he rooting for his club to buy the best available foreigners so they can kick Man U's arse? And almost of the Spanish National Team plays on two clubs. Really, outside of Barca and Real Madrid, La Liga with its restrictions isn't very good.

My view is that the club is suppose to put the best players they can find on the pitch. All three clubs are investing in academies so it is not like they won't be mining local talent. Explain to me how that is wrong?

I bet that Man City fan does a lot of bemoaning when England loses yet another game to Germany or Holland and other national teams from countries that actually do think leagues have a responsibility to develop players for their national team.

MLS signed Jamaican Darren Mattocks to a GA contract. Significant since he should be the #1 pick for Montreal. He was expected to go to Europe, but MLS coughed up a decent contract.

How many Uefa Cups has Sevillas won lately? Hint - more than one. Wasn't there some Spanish clubs other than Barca and Madrid in the Champions league quarter and semi finals in the last decade? Spain is a top two league. Your points are rubbish.

I'd be careful of equating the way the EPL is run to the gospel. You simply can't expect all leagues in the world to take up that competitive position. It's like saying a Ferrari has a 600 hp engine, so a Honda should as well.

A budget sensitive operation like MLS requires a domestic supply of talent. Sometimes you need restrictions in place to make that happen. You can't just say "well we have an academy, that will do the job" because there's no incentive to make it work unless you really need it to. I count TFC lucky that Winter is interested in bringing academy players through to the first team, because a lot of the other teams (who have been around much longer) do not seem interested in doing this.

I'd be careful of equating the way the EPL is run to the gospel. You simply can't expect all leagues in the world to take up that competitive position. It's like saying a Ferrari has a 600 hp engine, so a Honda should as well.

A budget sensitive operation like MLS requires a domestic supply of talent. Sometimes you need restrictions in place to make that happen. You can't just say "well we have an academy, that will do the job" because there's no incentive to make it work unless you really need it to. I count TFC lucky that Winter is interested in bringing academy players through to the first team, because a lot of the other teams (who have been around much longer) do not seem interested in doing this.

thank you. Without a commitment to domestic talent you would have no need for academies. no need for academies means no Cnd devlopment of talent. And besides, if the MLS (and its teams) objective was to field the best talent regardless of origin then they why have a cap? or why have a cap that is so low. Some international talent such as the DP's are worth paying to go watch on name only, but the rest are not worth paying to go watch if your intent is to watch the best possible soccer that you can field.

They have leagues in Honduras, Cost Rica and Mexico as well. And, if their objective was to be the best that they could irrespective of their country of origin, where would the good cost ricans, Mexicans and Hondurans go to play?

Opies initial asssertion as so wrong but i couldnt muster up the thoughts and spit them out over the past three days.

Archived