Montreal MLS roster discussion

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pacheco is currently playing semi-regularly in the Portuguese second division. If he wanted to come to Montreal for MLS journeyman money he might be worth the risk but if he's demanding $100,000 then forget it.

Yes it wouldn't be good if they were hoping he was going to be a real small "i" impact player.

You may recall a certain Portuguese 2nd div. hero by the name of Felipe Pastel who sucked in the NASL so....

Here is an interesting article about Doncaster's recent weird spate of high-ish profile signings including recent Impact trialist Chimbonda http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/nov/15/willie-mckay-doncaster-rovers-dean-saunders

Basically a very rich former bookie and agent is helping them for free just for the challenge of it, to bring in foreign transfers in deals that Doncaster pay 10% of the salary and take 40% of any potential player sales.

What's still weird about it is that if their ambition is to ride these players to at least a save from relegation, and even a possible promotion (as they unrealistically claim) then why was Chimbonda here? Their plans don;t seem compatible with a January transfer out for a player of his stature. Maybe he was here it was a personal plan if his own without club consent? When he was here, Doncaster explained it on their own site as "family reasons". Very bizarre. I think he's still a player with enough pedigree (2006 EPL First Team selection at LB) that he would be a good MLS defender even if known to be a difficult character.

Pretty sure it's just a vacation to see the family for Phil.

Yeah, because if we cut him we'd actually be below the massive CSA Canadian Quota of 3. Bobby would then have to argue that 3 is a ridiculously high number, or we'd have to take back Josue Mayard out of retirement to round out the numbers. Scratch that, he'll probably cut Teibert as well so he can join Rochat and Carl Valentine in the quota until **********, Fernandes, and Jacob Lensky are free to sign. After all, Canada hasn't produced any players capable of playing at the massive heights of the North American first division since Bobby himself.

Montreal trade expansion draft pick Seth Sinovic for Sporting KC's Dany Arnaud.

Really?? That's an awesome deal for you guys, Arnaud's always been one of my favourite players in the league I'm guessing you guys are throwing some allocation money to them as well for this to happen. I noticed Arnaud wasn't starting for KC in the playoffs, not sure why I didn't see him much last season.. has he fallen off? Or maybe they are trading him to give the armband to Bunbury..

Really?? That's an awesome deal for you guys, Arnaud's always been one of my favourite players in the league I'm guessing you guys are throwing some allocation money to them as well for this to happen. I noticed Arnaud wasn't starting for KC in the playoffs, not sure why I didn't see him much last season.. has he fallen off? Or maybe they are trading him to give the armband to Bunbury..

0 goal, 2 assists in 16 matches. KC also started to win as soon as he was on the injury list.

^They are doing the opposite of TFC (circumstance) and VWFC (choice) and signing lots of MLS experienced players, and decent ones at that. This can only bode well for at least the first year. Thus far they look like they will struggle to score, but they have 5 more international slots to address this issue. I particularly like what they've done a FB, as Wahl actually outplayed a Costa Rican international last year in Seattle, while Valentin his highly touted (except by Chivas, I guess) and played ok last season from what I saw. I thought Arnaud was a RM, but if he can stay healthy and provide some attack from CM, I'd say they already have a decent starting 11. Other than Brovsky, nobody else that I notice like Leathers or Vagenas who really kill any hope of attacking play. I think that's praising with faint damnation. :)

Arnaud is a weird signing, but not as weird as Ricketts!

Just so that nobody else falls into the same trap as I did, we are talking about Jamaican starting (when he's healthy) international keeper Donovan Ricketts here, as opposed to Rohan Ricketts (who I initially assumed it was due to him being available and the notion that it was a "weirder" signing than Arnaud).

There's nothing weird at all about getting Donovan Ricketts IMO - that's quite the coup for Montreal in their first year in the league. I'm surprised they were able to get him but with LA winning the title with him injured & Saunders stepping in, they obviously felt they could afford to lose him.

Solid MLS players, I like their moves so far..

Arnaud and Ricketts are coming off injuries so hopefully they can recover to their former selves and if they can you're laughing. If not, well Arnaud has you on the hook for 250k... but hey he'll still be better than Pablo Vitti.

If Arnaud can recover from his inury issues he'll be a very nice addition for the Impact, a creative MF who can provide veteran leadership. As for Ricketts, not surprised to see him leave LA w/ Saunders emerging a solid veteran GK who can be a mentor to Bush. A good get

Archived