Montreal MLS roster discussion

Solid pickups today for the Impact. I think Ricketts, Arnaud, Nyassi, and Braun give the club a good base to start with. Just need a solid RB. They should go after Hainault dangling Ching as the bait, he would automatically become a top draw for the club being a local product. Can't see Houston falling for it though.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Only thing weird about them, is that a team run by NDS was somehow able to get two players of that caliber.

I think we can assume Jesse Marsch is running the show.

With Marsch in Montreal, Rennie in Vancouver, and Winter in Toronto, I feel pretty good that intelligent people have some say in those clubs now.

The Ricketts deal is for sure not a straight up allocation money for Ricketts deal because LA could obviously get more from him from the many MLS teams looking for a starting keeper. LA had a couple of attractive players on the list that were not taken in the draft and who would have been better picks than several picks Marsch made. This is obviously a "don't pick anyone from our list" and give us some allocation money after the draft and we will trade you Ricketts deal. Nevertheless, very good deal for Montreal.

The Arnaud deal on the surface is less of a good deal in my opinion. Sinovic is probably as good if not a better player than Arnaud is right now and obviously far younger. Arnaud is a decent player but on the downside of his career. He will probably give us a couple of good years but long term Sinovic will be a better player. I also think he would have more trade value. On the other hand, we have too many defenders and needed a midfielder more than a defender. I think the big reason for the trade may have been that Sinovic like Ching did not want to go to Montreal and forced Marsch's hand by threatening to retire at 24. Probably BS but if he does not want to play for us why try to keep him. http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/11/28/trade-brings-native-son-sinovic-back-kansas-city

I guess this is a nice welcome to the MLS, a fairly large number of American hicks as players who probably would never ever leave the US if they didn't have to travel to play the 3 Canadian teams. I have to say I preferred the American players in NASL a lot better, ie. the guys willing to move anywhere and play for peanuts just to keep their dream of professional soccer alive.

But where will all the Canadians play?!?!

Ideally they get Bernier to play behind Arnaud..

What are peoples thoughts on Gatti's chances of a contract?

I can't see them having too many Canadians this season like Vancouver.. Besides Bernier who else is there to pick up?

Names that I can think of as being realistic targets (not sure about their availability or interest though): JBB, Friend, Imhof, Ledgerwood, McCallum, Peters, Pozniak, NSALIWA .. Or maybe they draft an NCAA canuck.

But where will all the Canadians play?!?!
The Voyageur in us laments the lack of Canadian starting minutes that are likely to be a part of our MLS teams, while the club supporter in us is glad to see the clubs focusing on winning over what country the players are born in.

That said, I really hope Bernier will come here and if so he should have no problem being a starter.

I also wouldn't surprised to see Gatti and Sebrango signed as depth players.

Then there are the youth players like Ilcu and Crépaeu.

Gatti is probably the best bet with Mircea Ilcu from last year team, after that maybe Sebrango. Di Lorenzo is also a possibility, but a small one. Bernier would be nice but I think it's fifty-fifty on that front. We will probably add a kid or two from the Academy and that will be all.

Didn't mean to parrot you :)

I think that our European Canadiens do not want to play in the MLS right now...the only way we will see teams like Vancouver and Montreal bring CAnadiens on board are through the Academy...how does Montreal's Academy stand up?

There are multiple Impact kids playing for U17s CMNT right now and we have a very highly regarded GK prospect Maxime Crépeau. The status of Mircea Ilcu is murkier to me... he's a very good F prospect but Romanian born and hasn't ever represented Canada so I'm hoping he's not a hold-out for the Romanian National team.

It should be noted that Bernier has said "they know where to find me" on the subject of the Impact, then subsequently only signed in Denmark until January, making it seem more likely than simply "Canadian players in Europe don't want to come to the MLS".

The Voyageur in us laments the lack of Canadian starting minutes that are likely to be a part of our MLS teams, while the club supporter in us is glad to see the clubs focusing on winning over what country the players are born in.

That said, I really hope Bernier will come here and if so he should have no problem being a starter.

I absolutely love Sebrango as a player but let us be serious, he will be 39 in 2012. Can he really fit in(and keep up) with this new batch of younger, faster players? MLS is several notches more intense and physical than NASL/USL. I say they will name him as the coach of one of the academy teams.

I can see Gatti as a good depth player.

Most definitely.. I wasn't being serious, more so poking fun at everyone who complained about the Whitecaps lack of Canadian content.

I think priority #1 for a team coming into the MLS is putting a winning product on the field Canadians or not. The average fan isn't going to care where the players are from, they just want to see a winning team and that's how you build your fan base up and up.

while the club supporter in us is glad to see the clubs focusing on winning over what country the players are born in.

I cannot concur with this. Speaking for myself (and perhaps I would say a large part of the supporters i know) , most us would not be supporting this product with their wallets if it meant no benefits to the development of CND soccer players.

While i have differred in how teams should go about adding Canadian player and which Canadian players should be added, i stand by the fact that i cant see the benfit of supporting cnd clubs in this league with no canadian component or only a token canadians component. The irony in all this (and i am not thinking of or singling you out) is that i acknowledge that we do have a problem with depth in the player pool when it comes to professional players and that there are many professionals who are not at a level to be influential at an MLS level. But, but given some of the charges that have been leveled at TFC management from 2007-10 on this topic I'm just curious how this play out. i'll be keeping an eye on flip flops in views.

I cannot concur with this. Speaking for myself (and perhaps I would say a large part of the supporters i know) , most us would not be supporting this product with their wallets if it meant no benefits to the development of CND soccer players.

While i have differred in how teams should go about adding Canadian player and which Canadian players should be added, i stand by the fact that i cant see the benfit of supporting cnd clubs in this league with no canadian component or only a token canadians component. The irony in all this (and i am not thinking of or singling you out) is that i acknowledge that we do have a problem with depth in the player pool when it comes to professional players and that there are many professionals who are not at a level to be influential at an MLS level. But, but given some of the charges that have been leveled at TFC management from 2007-10 on this topic I'm just curious this play out. i'll be keeping an eye on flip flops in views.

But, successful MLS teams, can lead to better development of Canadian soccer players. It just requires looking at the big picture and thinking longer term. We'd all love to see immediate results but having 3 successful MLS teams gives kids something to play for and a place to develop. A lot of kids shy away from soccer for other sports (my brother was an awesome soccer player but had to chose between soccer or hockey and chose hockey). Having teams kids grow up watching and dreaming of playing for will go a long way to the success of our MNT.. it'll just take some time.

While i have differred in how teams should go about adding Canadian player and which Canadian players should be added, i stand by the fact that i cant see the benfit of supporting cnd clubs in this league with no canadian component or only a token canadians component. The irony in all this (and i am not thinking of or singling you out) is that i acknowledge that we do have a problem with depth in the player pool when it comes to professional players and that there are many professionals who are not at a level to be influential at an MLS level. But, but given some of the charges that have been leveled at TFC management from 2007-10 on this topic I'm just curious how this play out. i'll be keeping an eye on flip flops in views.

Yes I agree with this. I think we all admit the Canadian player pool is not huge and many of our better players are not going to leave leagues that are of a better level of play or even if not a better level of play at least pay better and have more career advancement opportunities than MLS. However, I think we do want to see that some effort is being made to sign and play Canadian players. I did not see much effort in this regard at all from years 2 to 4 of TFC and last year with the Caps. So far I also have not seen much effort in this regard on the part of Marsch (indeed at the moment one wonders if he is actually still working for the USSF given how few non-American players we have). I will criticize him as much as I criticize the other teams if he remains this way but to be fair it is still very early so we have to wait to see what he does. If the teams make an honest effort to develop, look at and recruit Canadians and things don't work out then I can live with the wait a bit argument. When the teams are lazy, run by incompetents and put Americans on the field who have no business playing in MLS then I do not buy the argument that they are unable to find Canadians good enough to play for them.

I absolutely love Sebrango as a player but let us be serious, he will be 39 in 2012. Can he really fit in(and keep up) with this new batch of younger, faster players? MLS is several notches more intense and physical than NASL/USL. I say they will name him as the coach of one of the academy teams.

I can see Gatti as a good depth player.

In general no, but Sebrango is a special case, I'm convinced by watching him last year that he has the body of a 24 year old :)

most us would not be supporting this product with their wallets if it meant no benefits to the development of CND soccer players.

Never said "no" benefits to Canadian players/program. But not benefits to Canadian players/program - to the detriment of having a decent team.

Certainly the average fan wants local guys on the team. To an extent that still puts a good product on the pitch.

Very cool to hear, good to see a pro athlete after being comfortable in 1 city for a decade not being a stubborn brat (cough Ching...)

Thats a little too simplistic IMO. Your looking at MLS in the same way as the NHL, NBA, MLB in regards player's reluctance to move from one location to another or MILLIONAIRE players wanting out or forcing trades, or shunning a certain city etc etc... I can fully understand and even concur with the animosity directed at those athletes in those sports.

But MLS is different, the players dont make anywhere near the kind of money that athletes in the other sports make, so family considerations, cultural adjustments and cost of living considerations are very real. I / We've heard stories of several players MLS who didnt want to play in canada or who wanted wanted out for no other reason than adaptation or family issues. And even in conversation with people inside the scene, i senced an acceptance of the situation and strong understanding of those players circumstances. In one case i heard of, the player's wife was a professional in certain field and moving to canada meant that her certification/licences whould not have been valid and she would not have been able to work. That may be trivial for Millionaire MLB, NBA, NHL players, but for an MLS player whose annual salary is less that 400K, that is an issue.

You also hear a lot of stories of bureaucratic red tape issues. That one i still dont understand why its an issue in MLS but not other sports

Which Canadians will Montreal have on their roster? ( I don't think they'll carry more than the minimum)

1. Bernier

2. Ilcu

3. ?

Crépeau 100% for sure, Sebrango and Gatti possibly.. also Agourram and Pizzolitto have been confirmed invited to January camp

Archived